Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Have you explained to whoever is answering the phone at your doctors' how urgent your problem is?

You can't just give yourself random doses of insulin without knowing what your carb ratios are. Its DANGEROUS.

If they still won't give you an emergency appointment and your BG is still that high or even higher then you need to get yourself to an A&E because you need medical attention. I would suggest that, as others have said, you reduce your carb intake until you get your BG under control.

Weetabix and crackers are NOT healthy foods for Type 2 Diabetics.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all, lately these past few weeks I've been up throughout the night a few times and everytime I feel as if I'm about to throw up if I don't eat or drink something quickly. I normally have a few crackers with cream cheese or sliced and a glass of squash and it helped at first, but now I can't stomach cheese and I can't test my bloods at night as I am only allowed by my DSN to test before and after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

you can measure your blood glucose when you want yourself, you then need to pay for the sticks yourself, but those money are used a fine way then..

if your blood glucose is too high all the time it makes you more hungry because your body can not use all those carbs the right way because you are diabetic... you need to count your number of grams of carbs you eat in the whole day and not eat more than 100 grams of carbs daily, you need to avoid all bread , crackers, fruit and sugar cake end potatoes, if you do that after some days you´ll find that you are not as hungry anymore...

eat some hard boiled eggs in the middle of the night if you continue to be hungry... they are much better for you than crackers crackers which are like poison to a diabetic type 2...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still have not heard back from my DSN and I could not see my GP as it's by appointment only on the day and only if you phone in at 8 in the morning. Took 60 units of novorapid, blood sugar down in the teens and just had lunch; small pot of home made Spaghetti Bolognese.

spagetti bolognese is not the right kind of foods to you, the pasta in that is really bad for your blood glucose , if you make the "spagetti" from squash/courgette/zucchini then it is really healthy for you and you can eat as much as you like without a bad consious http://www.storkz.com/bestbuy-zoodl...K&country=DK&gclid=CMSR3vWZs9MCFVVkGQodt5QNXw

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still have not heard back from my DSN and I could not see my GP as it's by appointment only on the day and only if you phone in at 8 in the morning. Took 60 units of novorapid, blood sugar down in the teens and just had lunch; small pot of home made Spaghetti Bolognese.

You have struggled for far too long with your diabetes. It really does need sorting out. Your levels are far to high and mostly have been for a very long time. I think you need to ring again. Tell the receptionist this is urgent because your blood sugars are through the roof despite being on insulin. Insist someone sees you. You need help with injecting the correct amounts and the correct time.

Reactions: spook_kate_

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@akindrat18 Ring your DSN again and say it's urgent. Also, when you phone your GP, ask to speak to a member of the medical staff who'll understand your problem properly.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once you replace carbs with adequate fats and proteins, the glucose level would quickly normalize.

But you would need to adjust your insulin shots accordingly. It was much easier for me as I had not started any medication when I discovered my levels were in between 17-23 mmols daily.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
DSN called back and has made an appointment to see me tomorrow as my blood sugar has dropped down to a reasonable level of 15.1. Went to see my GP and got told I needed to make an appointment tomorrow morning at 8. Now it's crept up to 25.6 after testing at home and I can't get through to the DSN.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DSN called back and has made an appointment to see me tomorrow as my blood sugar has dropped down to a reasonable level of 15.1. Went to see my GP and got told I needed to make an appointment tomorrow morning at 8. Now it's crept up to 25.6 after testing at home and I can't get through to the DSN.

What did you have for your last meal?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Drink water and don't eat any carbs. Keep testing.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you can´t take the responsibillity to make diabetic foods that are low in carbs... then maybe you could have food delivered from some official kitchen that make food for diabetics... ???

do you do any sports, that help the body to lower blood glucose a lot especially in men with large muscles...
so if you could have a bike in your home you could maybe put it in fromt of the telly or listen to your favorite music when you do the biking... like 2 hours a day one hour after each meal... to use the extra glucose in your blood

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
@akindrat18

Are you keeping a diary to show what your BGs are at the times you have tested, and what meals you have eaten beforehand? If not, you need to start now so you can build up a clearer picture of what foods are causing you to spike.

A BG level of 15.1 is way above reasonable, and you should be aiming for the high single figures to start with, then gently bring it down from that.

For whatever reason your surgery is not giving this the urgency it needs, but as other posters have already stated, you are continuing to eat high-carb foods which will cause your sugars to spike. Please do seek further help, and look into the foods suggested which will satisfy your hunger without loading you up with carbs.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Glad to hear you have an appointment with your DSN tomorrow @akindrat18 - they need to give you some time and attention and look after you better, tell them you are really struggling and need support both with diet/carbohydrates and insulin doses, running at these levels on an ongoing basis is going to make you very unwell so they need to put some regular maintenance in taking care of you, see if they can give you a continuous glucose monitor to use, most trusts have a couple to loan out to help people who are on insulin with uncontrollable blood glucose levels so they can monitor you better - please let us know how you get on and good luck tomorrow :)

Reactions: himtoo

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What did you have for your last meal?

A small pot of home made spag bol.

@akindrat18

Are you keeping a diary to show what your BGs are at the times you have tested, and what meals you have eaten beforehand? If not, you need to start now so you can build up a clearer picture of what foods are causing you to spike.

A BG level of 15.1 is way above reasonable, and you should be aiming for the high single figures to start with, then gently bring it down from that.

For whatever reason your surgery is not giving this the urgency it needs, but as other posters have already stated, you are continuing to eat high-carb foods which will cause your sugars to spike. Please do seek further help, and look into the foods suggested which will satisfy your hunger without loading you up with carbs.

I am keeping a food diary and blood sugar results 4 times a day. I've had my Novorapid injections decreased as I've been put on Victoza since Monday. I know that I'm eating the wrong foods, I rarely do any food shopping and what I do get is the basics; bread, milk, juice, potatoes, booze and chocolate.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How are you feeling in yourself @akindrat18 ? Is this peak of 25ish then a drop to 15 something that happens a lot for you?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I am keeping a food diary and blood sugar results 4 times a day. I've had my Novorapid injections decreased as I've been put on Victoza since Monday. I know that I'm eating the wrong foods, I rarely do any food shopping and what I do get is the basics; bread, milk, juice, potatoes, booze and chocolate.

It may be that your Novorapid was decreased too much then.

When you speak to your DSN again, do ask about a carb counting course or even a brief appointment with a dietician who can explain the basics to you.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you feeling in yourself @akindrat18 ? Is this peak of 25ish then a drop to 15 something that happens a lot for you?

I feel fine in myself, just had some dinner; bacon and eggs with a few onions and mushrooms. My blood sugars can go as high as 27 and be as low as 2.9.

It may be that your Novorapid was decreased too much then.

When you speak to your DSN again, do ask about a carb counting course or even a brief appointment with a dietician who can explain the basics to you.

I have asked my DSN about carb counting and all she said was to take 1 unit of Novorapid to decrease my blood sugar by 3mmol. So as my blood sugar is 25.3 now, I would take an extra 5 units of Novorapid to take my blood sugar down to 10.3.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, well it's good you know your correction dose (1 unit decreases your blood sugar by 3mmols) but that's not the only part of carb counting. Carb counting is counting the carbs in your meal and then calculating the correct amount of insulin so your BS is in range after eating.

Or, if you're on set doses of insulin, it can be making sure you have X amount of carbs for your insulin dose.

Good control is impossible without counting carbs. If you got help to count carbs, you'd reduce these wild swings and feel a lot better in yourself.

I'm glad you're not feeling ill, but if you do feel bad remember that you can get advice from 111 :)

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you get some help soon. The amount of Novorapid you are injecting horrifies me. Good luck. Please let us know tomorrow how you are doing

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

all these kinds of food are bad for you... you should eat like eggs meat cheese and salats and cucumbers tomatoes and avocadoes and nuts all kinds.. and berries with cream.. try to not drink fruit juice which is among one of the worst kinds of foods to a type 2 diabetic... better drink water with added lemon squeeze, or diet coke with lemon squeeze in... greek fullfat yoghurt is actually good for you... no sugar in it but you can put strawberries in ...and nuts .. eggs and bacon is a fine breakfast choice compared to cereals

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Gemma2 It looks a lot to us Type 1s maybe, but Type 2s on insulin also have to contend with insulin resistance so their doses are usually higher.

The OP needs what he needs :)