I Scream for Ice Cream!

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed about a month ago, I have been strictly low-carbing and have managed to get my levels down to around 5 pre-prandial and 7.4 post-prandial.I suppose I got a bit cocky on it and decided earlier this evening that, after going for a two-mile walk, I would treat myself to a much-missed ice cream from a local Italian cafe. It was absolute heaven! However, an hour later I decided to check my BG to see if I had got away with it - it was 17.4! I waited another hour and checked again - 10.1.

My question is, does this mean that, like bread, ice cream is now definitely off the menu? Or could it perhaps have been something to do with the two-mile walk I had just completed? My usual distance has been about a mile so I had definitely been pushing myself with the distance and also the speed - I tried to walk as fast as I could. I know some people are affected by exercise.

Should I just try the two mile walk again, this time without the ice cream at the end? Or - and I have to admit this idea is more appealing - should I just try the ice cream again and forget the walk?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I'd be looking for a substitute ice cream. There are some good protein ice creams even here in the wilds of suburban Western Australia, so imagine there'd be even better choices in the UK. There's also DIY varieties - I think there are a few recipes around the forum. Ice cream makers are quite cheap to buy, from memory.

It's probably the only addictive trigger food I have, so I need to be very careful with it. Part of the build up to my diagnosis was a binge on ice cream that made me as sick as a dog - though I had no way of testing at the time, I'd say it was a massive hyper, followed by an equally massive hypo. I never want to feel that way again :(

Reactions: 2 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
some people can tolerate a slice or two of certain types of bread.
head to the Food,Nutrition,Recipes or Low Carb Diet sub forums for more info.
there are also many recipes for ice cream in there.
enjoy :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I doubt the ice cream would have affected you so soon after eating it. Are you sure your hands were clean and what was in the ice cream?

You can make your own ice cream though and it's almost zero carbs.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed about a month ago, I have been strictly low-carbing and have managed to get my levels down to around 5 pre-prandial and 7.4 post-prandial.I suppose I got a bit cocky on it and decided earlier this evening that, after going for a two-mile walk, I would treat myself to a much-missed ice cream from a local Italian cafe. It was absolute heaven! However, an hour later I decided to check my BG to see if I had got away with it - it was 17.4! I waited another hour and checked again - 10.1.

My question is, does this mean that, like bread, ice cream is now definitely off the menu? Or could it perhaps have been something to do with the two-mile walk I had just completed? My usual distance has been about a mile so I had definitely been pushing myself with the distance and also the speed - I tried to walk as fast as I could. I know some people are affected by exercise.

Should I just try the two mile walk again, this time without the ice cream at the end? Or - and I have to admit this idea is more appealing - should I just try the ice cream again and forget the walk?
Bread does not have to be totally off the menu a lot here have the Lidl protein rolls and others have Burgen Linseed and Soya bread without having raised BG as for the ice cream just have it as a special treat....we all need one sometimes.. but not a good idea straight after exercise

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I find that a small portion of ice cream has little effect on my bg levels but I know that if I eat it every day I put on weight so I just have a small portion as an occasional treat now.

Kelly's Clotted Cream ice cream (my favorite) has 12g carbs per 125g portion.

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@MaryCanary,
as Sid Bonkers shows, we are all different (cue Pythonesque shout of "I'm not!") but what I would do would be to try out some lower carb alternatives to ice cream or if you "nust" have one try to restrict yourself to a very small portion!

Good Luck!!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some good icy pole recipes out there on the net - I tried making a berry and coconut milk one and the result was pretty good :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have an ice cream at the start of the next walk. I plan to eat cake tomorrow halfway on a 4-hour walk (hedging my bets). It usually works.

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sounds like a combined effect of speedy walking and high carb ice cream. Next time, maybe try testing after the walk before eating the ice-cream. That way, you can decide either to deselect the ice-cream, ( and have something lower carb like dark chocolate and/or espresso with cream) or to do a combo correction+Bolus dose of insulin. I always have to do this kind of testing after a swim.

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some great ideas here, thanks! That's what this forum is so good at. To be honest, it was a huge ice cream between two nougat-filled wafers (we call them double-nougats here in Glasgow) and I would never normally eat that amount but I think subconsciously I was deliberately pushing the boundaries just to see what would happen. Thankfully, before I went to bed last night I was back down to a more normal level! I do find that eating any kind of bread (even the Burgen one) pushes me up the scale but I haven't tried the Lidl rolls yet, so will do. I just find that a boiled egg lacks something without the toasted 'soldiers'!

It's an interesting journey, this, and I just wish I had embarked on it years ago!

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a combined effect of speedy walking and high carb ice cream. Next time, maybe try testing after the walk before eating the ice-cream. That way, you can decide either to deselect the ice-cream, ( and have something lower carb like dark chocolate and/or espresso with cream) or to do a combo correction+Bolus dose of insulin. I always have to do this kind of testing after a swim.
I am, thankfully, not on insulin, lideluz. When I set out for the speedy walk, it was with the full intention of rewarding myself with an ice cream from the Italian cafe that I used to adore. I haven't had one since the day of my diagnosis a month ago so it was a kind of reward for good behaviour! :)

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got some 'ice cream' in the freezer made with full fat Greek yogurt and blueberries, it's lovely.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
To be honest, it was a huge ice cream between two nougat-filled wafers (we call them double-nougats here in Glasgow)
Ah it was probably the nougat that caused the problem as pure sugar. Perhaps try the ice cream next time without any extras :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am, thankfully, not on insulin, lideluz. When I set out for the speedy walk, it was with the full intention of rewarding myself with an ice cream from the Italian cafe that I used to adore. I haven't had one since the day of my diagnosis a month ago so it was a kind of reward for good behaviour! :)

Sorry I didn't read your post carefully enough! Ironically, I can blame my (mis)reading on a stubborn 3hour hypo after a fantastic sunny walk this morning by the sea and reed beds. :)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
One of the things that keeps me going is the thought of a naughty treat. I think you may have done better just having the ice cream but the nougat in the wafers is just sugar and two big wafers would certainly do some damage to your BG I shop at Aldi and they do a pack of four one portion ice creams and they're lovely. Once a month I have a treat in the form of a little cake or one of my ice creams but I do have good BG control and that has been stable for some time, if I didn't have such control the treats would have to go.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Ice cream can be loaded with sugar which would cause a quick hit. Try to look for lower-sugar types. Frozen yogurt may be lower?

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
A Double Nougat !!!!! Jings cribbins help ma bob!!!!!!

For those lucky enough to not know what a Double Nougat looks like http://www.alexicecream.info/510_500_csupload_56166384.jpg?u=1251067044

I suspect the major part problem is more the four carbohydrate wafer biscuits. chocalate, and strange unknown synthetic cream filling substances beteween the layers of wafer that sandwiched the ice cream than the ice cream itself.
I discovered while on holiday in Italy this year that real ice cream in moderation doesn't cause me major problems with my blood glucose levels, much less than bread.
Experiment with Porrelli's Vanilla Ice Cream sold by Adsa stores in the Glasgow area, try a little with double cream and a few berries.

Last edited by a moderator:

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some great ideas here, thanks! That's what this forum is so good at. To be honest, it was a huge ice cream between two nougat-filled wafers (we call them double-nougats here in Glasgow) and I would never normally eat that amount but I think subconsciously I was deliberately pushing the boundaries just to see what would happen. Thankfully, before I went to bed last night I was back down to a more normal level! I do find that eating any kind of bread (even the Burgen one) pushes me up the scale but I haven't tried the Lidl rolls yet, so will do. I just find that a boiled egg lacks something without the toasted 'soldiers'!

It's an interesting journey, this, and I just wish I had embarked on it years ago!

I agree that it's an interesting journey, and that the lack of 'soldiers' is a bridge too far. A couple of weeks ago, I found a recipe for low carb crispbreads on dietdoctor.com which are perfect soldier stand-ins.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the start of the summer I bought myself a £20 ice cream maker and experimented making my own ice cream. Some were more successful than others! Best one was clotted cream, strawberries, balsamic vinegar and xylitol. To be honest you can take any recipe and replace the required sugar with sweetener. Greek yoghurt, peanut butter and choc chips (85% cocoa) was also pretty good, though all are best eaten on the day of making rather than storing for days in the freezer as I have found it goes very solid!