Insulin response of Reactive Hypoglycaemics

lindisfel

Expert
Each day illuminates my health situation a little clearer.
Today I found out, of all carbs, fructose is the most damaging to the liver. It is believed to be a major cause of N.A.F.L.D., much more so than other sugars.
I thought apples were good for me, but they may worsen liver disease and much better fruits are raspberries, blueberries and strawberries.
Oranges have less fructose than apples.

Again, another step on the road to producing less insulin has to be taken.
regards
D.

Reactions: 10 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Each day illuminates my health situation a little clearer.
Today I found out, of all carbs, fructose is the most damaging to the liver. It is believed to be a major cause of N.A.F.L.D., much more so than other sugars.
I thought apples were good for me, but they may worsen liver disease and much better fruits are raspberries, blueberries and strawberries.
Oranges have less fructose than apples.

Again, another step on the road to producing less insulin has to be taken.
regards
D.

Oh yeah, fructose is a difficult sugar to predict or record what your blood glucose levels will be because of size, age and how acidic it is, and yes berries are better for you than other different groups of fruit.
Fruit, fructose can be an allergy or you could be highly sensitive to it.
There is a form of RH, that is fructose intolerant. (That's hereditary, so I've read!)

I seem to be ok to small pieces of fruit, such as apples, pears and the odd small piece of tangerines etc. But berries, such as strawberries, I can eat a handful with my yoghurt, which of course slows the digestion, is fine!

The good nutrition values of fruit is why I have them, as part of my daily routine of having so many small meals. It can be a good alternative, in the middle of your meals, instead of a drink when thirsty! I share my fruit with whoever is with me, the wife, kids, grandkids.

Eat smaller pieces, rather than not have any!
Scurvy and all that! (Lol!)

Reactions: 8 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi guys,
Have been doing some reading as result of Dr.Kraft's findings.
Also there is an Endo on another forum I am on who says this is true.
Hyperinsulemia causes high blood pressure because it causes tissue to absorb sodium and not loose it through the kidneys.
Hence loss of sodium when we low carb is achieving stasis and is putting us back to normal.
Therefore we do not need more salt to replace lost sodium because the kidneys will just get rid of it anyway in a person who does not have adrenal problems like myself with Conn's syndrome .
regards
D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Derek.
What forum is the one you refer to? And are you sure he is what he claims to be?

I only add salt to my salad, especially on tomatoes, as most meat should have enough in it anyway. It's recommended on the low carb because as you reduce your intake of carbs, your meal size is smaller and the amount of pre prepared or factory foods are replaced. You also have probably upped your exercise. All this and probably more will leave you with insufficient salt in your body.
It happened to the wife (T2) now she adds salt to a few things.

I have no idea, what happens with Conns! Sorry mate!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we vary a lot with our mineral requirements.

The cramps i used to get are motivation enough to ensure i get enough!

And, in retrospect, i deeply regret all the years of low carbing before I learned to supplement - when i had regular cramps, muscle weakness and occasional dizziness. The heart is a muscle too, and i have to wonder if i have done any long term damage. Of course, I will never know.

Now, i supplement with potassium, magnesium and a cup of broth daily.
If i lapse with any of them for longer than a few days, the cramps come back.
My blood tests are in the middle of the normal range for everything.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Brun,
Your blood tests will be ok with your body's regulation system, unless you have too much insulin or aldosterone.
Potassium is the problem because it causes cramps and worse if low. Is you K mineral OK?
Not vitamin k. Should be over 4.0 on blood test.
If your regulatory hormones for bp work OK your kidneys ditch any extra sodium you take in.
The body has a marvelous regulation system if its working OK.
We have abnormal insulin response and the kidneys are adjusted to keep sodium when we are hyperinsulinemic.
We have to bypass the feedback loop with a low carb fix. I also have to bypass the aldosterone feedback system by low sodium and an aldosterone antagonist.
regards
D.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Potassium is fine - when i am on the supplements. :)

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher,
It is a Yahoo Group run by a Dr. Grim who was a student under Dr. Conn who discovered Conn's syndrome.
It is a private group you could try googling it.
The endo is also from the States, she came across my conversation with Grim. Dr.Grim seems to believe all blood pressure problems are caused by too much sodium and too little potassium.
Too much salt with Conn's and I suspect with too much insulin causes the body to lose potassium and bp rises.

Potassium puts down bp unless you have too much and then one is very poorly.:)
Part of the process is when sodium goes into tissue potassium comes out and lost in our pee.
I don't think the salt will harm you, you'll pee it out in the next few hours because you have fixed your insulin and your kidneys will ditch sodium to balance your blood chemistry.
regards
Derek

PS I believe Dr Unwin mentioned high insulin causing htn on one of his threads .

Hi Derek.
What forum is the one you refer to? And are you sure he is what he claims to be?

I only add salt to my salad, especially on tomatoes, as most meat should have enough in it anyway. It's recommended on the low carb because as you reduce your intake of carbs, your meal size is smaller and the amount of pre prepared or factory foods are replaced. You also have probably upped your exercise. All this and probably more will leave you with insufficient salt in your body.
It happened to the wife (T2) now she adds salt to a few things.

I have no idea, what happens with Conns! Sorry mate!

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
Interestingly if our potassium is very high we are very ill and one therapy is to give the patient insulin and glucose.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
LCHF is not working wonders with my test results but stopping hypos makes it worthwhile!

Hba1c now 44 was 45 ; GGT 81 probably slightly below recent average ; potassium 4.9.
regards
Derek

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
it may be a flash in the pan (that saying reminds one of what lchf does to the bowels :) ;) ) but my fasting blood glucose was 5.3 today and 5.2 yesterday. Could be my insulin resistance has improved. Weight near target, is now just 4lbs more than when we got married in spring 1962!
Derek

Reactions: 8 people

lindisfel

Expert
Had my bloods done last week and my GGT was down to 72 other liver readings fine. HDL up to 1.6 but problem is with stopping taking statins my unfasted total was 6.4! regards Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Derek,
That's all good mate,
Had my bloods done last week and my GGT was down to 72 other liver readings fine. HDL up to 1.6 but problem is with stopping taking statins my unfasted total was 6.4! regards Derek

Maybe you don't need the statins!

Is your control good?

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher, blood glucose readings have been fine of late. It is just the high total cholesterol of 6.4. Daughter says I should go back on a statin but I reckon statins put up blood glucose and stop Q10. Will stall until they do another Hba1c in april. atb Derek

QUOTE="nosher8355, post: 1088225, member: 85785"]Hi Derek,
That's all good mate,

Maybe you don't need the statins!

Is your control good?[/QUOTE]

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had a rummage through the rest of the forum about cholesterol?
There are some I hate statins threads, and quite a few my cholesterol is higher/lower on LCHF threads. lots of interesting info on people's experiences plus links and articles and personal stories. You may find it useful to switch to different fats, or to allow for weight loss, etc.
Lots of threads.
Sorry, can't really paraphrase them, because there is so much info out there. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I totally agree with Brun, there is a lot of information on the forum.

From my experience with my cholesterol and what I have read, your total cholesterol will definitely come down, your control is good, so give it time to achieve it naturally without statins!

Best wishes mate!

lindisfel

Expert
Hi guys, recents bloods in: GGT up to 87 from 72! :-(( Trigs 1.0 good, HDL 1.6 good, Total 6.3 ..,.big and fluffy Ldl!! PSA 0.09 for a guy who had a bilateral stg 3 carcinoma of the prostate 13 years ago and not been on prostate meds for 10 years I am very happy and believe in the power of prayer. Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys, recents bloods in: GGT up to 87 from 72! :-(( Trigs 1.0 good, HDL 1.6 good, Total 6.3 ..,.big and fluffy Ldl!! PSA 0.09 for a guy who had a bilateral stg 3 carcinoma of the prostate 13 years ago and not been prostate meds for 10 years I am very happy and believe in the power of prayer. Derek

It's all your own doing, Derek!

But it's not totally wrong to favour your God with thanking him!
Who knows the power of prayer and believing in divine help.

Well done anyway mate, I will say a prayer for you.
Keep up the good work!
Nosher.