1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is it ok to cut back on testing?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Paulm80, Feb 17, 2020.

1. DenverGarth

DenverGarth · BANNED

So we know a bowl of rice is almost certainly going to raise our blood sugar levels, same for bananas, cereal, etc etc etc and so we eliminate them from our diet. We keep going through all those food items that are likely to raise our blood sugar and avoid them. That might of course lead to missing one or two, but then does that matter?

T2 by the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

To use your own analogy how do you know where you are on the map without checking the co-ordinates?

3. DenverGarth

DenverGarth · BANNED

If I were in a known area, I wouldn’t need to check co ordinates. Just follow the map. Many areas are well known to us now. Maps are very detailed these days. Sat navs too. If stuck I might ask a passer by that would know the area.

I could check the co ordinates. But it wouldn’t really be necessary.

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Thanks John nice to see you back after the ban..

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I have found that testing at least 4 times a day has kept me diet only controlled for 8 years. The menopause seems to give me wild fluctuations, even eating a narrow range of foods during this time. So, for me, keeping a close daily eye on my blood sugar levels is important.

I also find stress, and some other triggers, affects my blood sugar levels quickly too.

So I personally prefer to monitor frequently to be able to tailor my intake of food meal by meal to maintain my success.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. coby

coby Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I envy you ... I wish that I could be in the position of being happy with my eating.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. lucylocket61

Is there any way I can help? I have been a diet controlled type 2 for 8 years now. Perhaps you can start a thread about your eating, and others on the forum can share their experiences to see if we can come up with some positive suggestions?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. coby

Lucylocket61 It's been a terrible 21 months for me. My mother died suddenly and unexpectedly, and then just nine months later so did my dear son ( and in between the two losses my fiance left me). My eating pattern became the last thing on my mind and still is. I am in a swirl of emotions. I'm sorry to not be able to provide a better response

• Hug Hug x 12
    #28 coby, Feb 18, 2020 at 7:47 PM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  9. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@EllieM I was 8.0 after 1 hour down to 6.5 after 2 hours so I coped with it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. lucylocket61

I am sorry for your losses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was given a Libre. I liked it. It allowed me to sleep through the night without crazy alarms from bad readings. But I fall into the group that cgm doesn’t work so well. On day 2 of it all of the readings went crazy. On day 3 it said I needed to change the sensor. I left it in through day 4 after the sensor died. Then I put it in a ziplock bag, stuck it on top of the fridge, and haven’t seen it since.

My finger tips are bad from testing. I know they aren’t pretty. I file the thick spots with an emery board. Doing this helps.

12. coby

Lucylocket61 Thank you. I hope to turn a corner soon and try to regain control over my diabetes. It's really just trying to keep to a proper diet that seems impossible, as my mind wanders and I just forget to focus. I'm okay at breakfast .. I have a tiny amount of porridge oat flakes mixed with Chia and Pumpkin seeds, ground ginger & Cinnamon, soaked in Coconut milk, then I add either fresh blueberries or fresh/frozen raspberies ... cook for 1 minute and lace with double cream. But the rest of the day seems too much for me to handle. I think perhaps some is comfort eating (egg custards some days, chocolate, and even hot chocolate which I know is too sweet even when I'm drinking it) I think lack of emotional support since my fiancee left is the key. I'm not a mixer so it's difficult. Hope I've not rabbited on too much!

• Hug Hug x 3
  13. lucylocket61

Keep talking, you are not rabbiting on. This is a support forum for all aspects of diabetes, including how our feelings and situation affects our health.

14. Ajax

Ajax Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I test twice-yearly ..at my Diabetic Reviews, which is enough for me.

The dilemma facing a glucometerer is this .."if I take my eyes off ✻the ball✻ ..will my control slip" ..it's magical thinking, methinks.

15. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Yes a bit like taking your eyes of the road to check the speedometer when driving your car.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @coby
    I am so sorry for your losses. That is a lot to bear.

I'm am also so sorry you are struggling. I know when there are other stresses in our lives that taking care of ourselves can seem to be the easiest thing to give us. I also know how certain foods can give you a feeling of comfort.

You may want to google keto baked custard for some custard that actually tastes okay without the huge level of carbs- also google keto hot chocolate.

Please feel free to post on this site either to ask for support, ask for food ideas or just to get things off your chest. This site has the most generous people I know. We are all on a similar journey and I for one have received so much help from people here and welcome the opportunity to provide and support for others- it's a life long journey and I'm sure I'll receive more support in the future.

Take care of yourself.

17. coby

VashtiB that is so kind of you. I'm one of life's 'carers' so find it difficult to ask for/accept emotional support for myself. I doubt I will change now, and always try to find my own way through any struggles, but this time it's been rather like a huge landslide. I have just had my healthy breakfast ;) and feel a little stronger today, so hopefully I will keep to the right frame of mind.

• Hug Hug x 1
  18. Lorna Tinker

Lorna Tinker Type 2 · Member

Don't you have to test before you get into your car. That is what I have been told to do.

19. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Only if you are at risk of hypos....

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook