is it ok to smoke cannabis if you have type 2 diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danih

hi everyone im new to this forum im 23 and i enjoy smoking cannbis and have done for a while. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes around 4 months ago i know smoking can cause neuropathy but i woudnt if it was ok to smoke weed i heard that it can actually reduce blood sugar and help with diabetes but im not sure if this is true or heresay. Also i normally take glicazide for my diabetes but only take one a day after an evening meal and not always take them every day

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
It has long been said that weed and diabetes do not make good bed fellows but you can only make your own choices.

Reactions: Freema

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a T1 and and an ex smoker of such stimulants. "The jury's " out...what you maybe mxing it with (tobacco) to keep the burn, is not helping the condition either.

What I've seen personally regarding the bold claim of CBD "merits" & BG managment? My meter said no, regarding the draw to anything with a carb content during the aftermath. ;)
You take Glic so i trust you are prescribed a meter?

Just giving some food for thought, whilst lighting freedom's torch..

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I will second that you should avoid any nicotine, as smoking is unbelievably bad for diabetics.

Also i normally take glicazide for my diabetes but only take one a day after an evening meal and not always take them every day

What determines whether you take it or not?

Look, I am not in a position to talk as I do drink alcohol, but one reason why I have never experimented with weed is that I would be very very cautious about combining mind altering experiences with hypos. (I don't disapprove of weed at all, other than it is often a gateway drug to nicotine, which I hate with a passion.)

Reactions: hankjam and Freema

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I'm not a reader or supporter of The Sun, this article seems to lay out the legal position of cannabis quite clearly:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4094039/is-weed-legal-uk-law-cannabis-marijuana/

In essence, I quote, ".... Cannabis remains illegal to possess, grow, distribute, sell or grow in the UK, according to the Home Office.

Being caught with cannabis comes with a maximum of five years in prison, an unlimited fine, or both....."

On the basis this is illegal, members should be mindful of their personal circumstances when responding to this question. Any responses encouraging illegal activity will be removed, without warning.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a reason it's still illegal. It can cause mental health problems many years after using it. The stuff available nowadays is much stronger than that which harmed a relative of mine 32 years ago, OK he probably had a predisposition to mental illness and cannabis just hastened the onset. But who wants to waste 32+ years of life for a few puffs of weed?

Reactions: Freema

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Beats me why anyone could be so stupid to take it up for recreational purposes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi everyone im new to this forum im 23 and i enjoy smoking cannbis and have done for a while. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes around 4 months ago i know smoking can cause neuropathy but i woudnt if it was ok to smoke weed i heard that it can actually reduce blood sugar and help with diabetes but im not sure if this is true or heresay. Also i normally take glicazide for my diabetes but only take one a day after an evening meal and not always take them every day
In the UK it is not OK to smoke cannabis regardless of your medical situation, its illegal.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
In the UK it is not OK to smoke cannabis regardless of your medical situation, its illegal.

True, but though this site may have a .uk web address it proudly touts itself to be a global diabetes community.

On the basis this is illegal, members should be mindful of their personal circumstances when responding to this question. Any responses encouraging illegal activity will be removed, without warning.
Would I be allowed to discuss the medical/diabetic aspects of the issue if I stated that I lived in a country where cannabis was legal? (There's a good chance it'll be legal in 2020 in New Zealand, as we'll have a referendum at the same time as the 2020 election. I won't be trying it, though, as a weed/hypo combo is too risky for me.)

Reactions: porl69

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@EllieM - It is my understanding the OP is in UK. On that basis, the point stands.

Reactions: KK123

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here (Canada) marijuana or cannabis as new-age people call it, is completely legal (or nearly so) and I personally know people who smoke it or ingest the CBD oil in either liquid or tablet form supposedly for health reasons. I personally think it is all about money, meaning it was too expensive to prosecute individual users and small grow-ops, so it was just easier and more politically expedient to legalize and tax the stuff. I don't subscribe either pro or con to marijuana use, but also don't see any drop in illegal sale/distribution by non government sellers. Street prices (depends who you ask) are about $5 to $7 per gram and government prices range from approximately $7 to $12 a gram, and it is legal to grow 4 plants for home use (no sales) except in the provinces of Quebec and Manitoba. All this legalization legislation has created business opportunities for entrepreneurs (legal and illegal) and lots of name calling by pro and con sides, but not much real scientific evidence (except for epilepsy), so it all boils down to who you listen to. It is certainly a weird situation, I don't use it but if I had a serious painful malady I would definitely try it. That's my $0.02 (1 pence UK) worth...

Last edited:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Well from experience and from the numbers of people who have had their (and their families ) lives totally devastated by this drug I would say in no uncertain terms YOU MUST BE OFF YOUR HEAD! Skunk will do that to you!

I am in forensics and can say for certain that what people are taking now is a world apart from what was 'on the streets' a few years ago.

The mental health issues due to this problem 'globally' is at an all time high. The hospitals here in the UK are under funded, under staffed and overflowing with 'bed blockers' who are so mentally disturbed they can not be discharged... Why? Because there is no place to put them except back on the streest... where they can be found in their thousands right across the country.

STAY AWAY FROM IT.
Po

I will second that you should avoid any nicotine, as smoking is unbelievably bad for diabetics.

What determines whether you take it or not?

Look, I am not in a position to talk as I do drink alcohol, but one reason why I have never experimented with weed is that I would be very very cautious about combining mind altering experiences with hypos. (I don't disapprove of weed at all, other than it is often a gateway drug to nicotine, which I hate with a passion.)

Genuinely didn't know that smoking has such an adverse effect on diabetics :banghead: I quit the stinkies around 2011 in favour of electronic vaping, and whilst my meter readings seem to be under what is seen as diabetic, I'm now left wondering if trying to quit altogether might bring it even lower? :confused:

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Well from experience and from the numbers of people who have had their (and their families ) lives totally devastated by this drug I would say in no uncertain terms YOU MUST BE OFF YOUR HEAD! Skunk will do that to you!

I am in forensics and can say for certain that what people are taking now is a world apart from what was 'on the streets' a few years ago.

The mental health issues due to this problem 'globally' is at an all time high. The hospitals here in the UK are under funded, under staffed and overflowing with 'bed blockers' who are so mentally disturbed they can not be discharged... Why? Because there is no place to put them except back on the streest... where they can be found in their thousands right across the country.

STAY AWAY FROM IT.
Po

My brother being one of them. I have witnessed his psychotic episodes and they are quite scary. He no longer talks, he’s paranoid. A complete waste. So sad. Stay away from it I say!!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Genuinely didn't know that smoking has such an adverse effect on diabetics :banghead: I quit the stinkies around 2011 in favour of electronic vaping, and whilst my meter readings seem to be under what is seen as diabetic, I'm now left wondering if trying to quit altogether might bring it even lower? :confused:

My original argument was mainly because of the cardiovascular effects - smoking and diabetes are a lethal double whammy, but I just googled and yes, nicotine raises your blood sugar as well. Here's one of many articles on the subject.

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/...-is-extra-dangerous-for-people-with-diabetes/

So it's even worse than I thought it was. :arghh:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My original argument was mainly because of the cardiovascular effects - smoking and diabetes are a lethal double whammy, but I just googled and yes, nicotine raises your blood sugar as well. Here's one of many articles on the subject.

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/...-is-extra-dangerous-for-people-with-diabetes/

Ellie,

I've been around the block a bit.. (Rock & roll & all that...) ;)

Nicotine is a stimulant. Not good regarding how it works. & yes it can raise BG along with other risks.

But there are other ways to "imbibe" cannabis without rolling the traditional "Camberwell carrot."
Inappropriate to list how here. (As aforementioned, I've seen too much.)

Cannabis has its own risks. Addiction & psychosis being two. I've seen a lot of lovely people go that way.
I no longer associate with..
Your best chance is not to contemplate its use, whatever legislation is changed in your country? :)

Not that I'm doubting the validity of their argument, but I find myself asking why my blood sugars are currently only just into diabetic levels despite heavily vaping :eek:. A good friend that I know for 100% fact vapes even more heavily than I do just had blood hbalc of 33, mine was 46. It does beg the question though, how low COULD it be without the nicotine? If that article is correct, they mention "as much as 34%" which would drop my hba1c of 46 down to 30.3. Some deeper investigation/experimenting seems in order :brb:.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not that I'm doubting the validity of their argument, but I find myself asking why my blood sugars are currently only just into diabetic levels despite heavily vaping :eek:. A good friend that I know for 100% fact vapes even more heavily than I do just had blood hbalc of 33, mine was 46. It does beg the question though, how low COULD it be without the nicotine? If that article is correct, they mention "as much as 34%" which would drop my hba1c of 46 down to 30.3. Some deeper investigation/experimenting seems in order :brb:.

Differences with individual metabolisms? & there are other differing factors twix you & your good friend. The amount of carbs consumed? i agree with further investigation. :)

Reactions: Northernlad1965
Status
Not open for further replies.