Januvia side effects

jimmehr

My gp has recently changed my meds from metformin to sitagliptiin (januvia) as metformin just did not agree with my stomach at all even the slow release one.
I am currently on day 5 of using januvia and the side effects I have are:
Dizziness
Shivering
Cold sweats
Stomach cramps on lower right side
Nausea

Only nausea and dizzines where listed on the peice of paper in the box. Will these subside soon as the stomach cramps are really painful

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Side effects according to the BNF 59 are:

Side-effects

gastro-intestinal disturbances; peripheral oedema; upper respiratory tract infection, nasopharyngitis; pain; osteoarthritis; less commonly dry mouth, anorexia, headache, drowsiness, dizziness, hypoglycaemia, osteoarthritis;

If the effects don't subside after a reasonable time then discuss with your GP.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I too would like to know about Januvia. I posted recently but got no replies. I came off Metformin because of the headaches and, depending on my levels and weight, could go onto Januvia in 3 weeks time. I have done a thorough search and found out there is a risk of hypo (worried about that with regards to driving) and headaches, again. I have read two links posted by Sue in the past. But I am especially worried about the cancer risk. This is a quote from March 2009 by Dennis on a post relating to Byetta:

"The only alternative to Byetta in treating this autoimmune attack on GIP and GLP-1 incretins is a medication called sitagliptin (Januvia). This works by killing of the autoimmune enzyme DPP-4, the enzyme that attacks our incretins. But the treatment is a double edged sword - the main function of DPP-4 is to kill cancer cells, so by stopping DPP-4 from working we are also reducing the body's natural defence against cancer. It is for this reason that many consultants regard Januvia as a high-risk treatment and are reluctant to prescribe it."

Anyone have any more information about this - if this side effect is proven? Should anyone be using Januvia? Has research made any progress recently? Would really appreciate any information anyone may have on Januvia.

Here are links from Sue and Ken which were posted some time ago:

By Sue:

"Re: Januvia
This web site may help.

http://www.januvia.com/sitagliptin/janu ... p?WT.svl=5

and this one,

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100005128.html
"
and posted by Ken:

http://www.sitagliptin.org.uk/index.html
"

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
I was recently changed to metformin SR and januvia (about a month ago) haven't had too much in the way of side effects - I don't think :? but was told to give it 3 months before seeing the doc again (although have to see nurse after 8 weeks for blood pressure and weight). However I have had a lot of sweats recently (not sure if it is the weather or my age!) and a few headaches (but in the usual place I get them).
I did ask my GP about the cancer link and he said not to worry about it :(

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks squishychickfi for that reassuring information. I would be very grateful if you would post an update on this thread occasionally as to how you are getting on (especially in the next three weeks when I have to make my decision) and if you are getting any unpleasant side effects.The trouble is it's a relatively new drug and they don't have too much feedback from patients yet. I have three weeks to decide if I am going to take it or take nothing but my weight and levels are already up after a week off Metformin. I didn't know about the cancer risk when I saw her as I only researched Januvia afterwards so we didn't discuss it. I have to take the decision on my own as I'm not seeing my diabetologist for another 3 months. She gave me a prescription in advance for Januvia but not for Metformin so I can't decide to go back on it.
Thanks again for the info :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
daisy1 said:
Thanks squishychickfi for that reassuring information. I would be very grateful if you would post an update on this thread occasionally as to how you are getting on (especially in the next three weeks when I have to make my decision) and if you are getting any unpleasant side effects.The trouble is it's a relatively new drug and they don't have too much feedback from patients yet.

Januvia is not a new drug.........it has been around for some considerable time. It was licensed by the EMEA (European Medicines agency on 21/03/2007 and has a good track record up to now. There is much evidence of it's safety and efficacy both in Europe and the States. As with any drug there MAY be side effects, however most may never get any and if they do they subside once the person gets used to the drug.

As for the risk of Cancer.......I would go along with your GP when he say's don't worry about it. The studies relating to this are from back in 2004 during the initial drug trials. You usually find this happens with many drugs and is not normally any cause for concern. If it does concern you still then you should discuss it fully with your Consultant who should be more aware if all the possible risks, not the GP who may not be so well informed. Here is part of the EMEA document in relation to Carcinogenity.

The carcinogenic potential of sitagliptin was determined in mice and rats. In the two-year mouse
carcinogenicity study, there were no treatment-related increases in tumor incidence in any organ at all
tested doses (50, 125, 250, 500 mg/kg/day).

When it was given approval back in 2007 this is what the CHMP ststed:
The Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) decided that Januvia’s benefits are greater than its risks and recommended that it be given marketing authorisation.

Ken

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks for that Ken. I feel more hopeful about Januvia now. I think I am probably going to have to take it instead of Metformin I'll see how it goes. This Forum is wonderful for finding out about
things :)

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have posted on other threads about testing BG - so bought myself a meter - and hope to persuade my GP to fork out for strips when I see her! I think the Januvia is working - my bloods have been down a bit on what they were - am trying a low carb diet - but still struggling with that and what I can and can't eat.

Will definitely keep you posted on how I get on - have BP next week and hope that nurse will back me for strips!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Great. Looking forward to hearing from you :)

Hyperchrome

Dislikes
Diabetes, high fat/low sugar & low fat/high sugar foods, cruelty, ignorance.
Jimmehr;
I've been on Januvia for a couple of months and experienced exactly the same symptoms as you; particularly the dizziness and cramps in my lower right side. My Doctor put the cramps down to irritable bowel and told me that was probably the cause of my dizziness too but I'm thinking I may have to try without the Januvia for a short while.

It's hard to know who to believe; especially when they ignore the side effects we humans have and only want to discuss what our drugs do to rats!

Darren

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have had cramps in the right side - well more like pain than a crampy feeling - but have to say I had put it down to female issues :oops: as it was only happening at particular times of the month (or so I thought). The other thing I have noticed is really bad headaches on the left side - I was having them previously - but they had stopped and have restarted - not sure if this is the same timings though! - going to GP on Friday and will ask!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks for update Fi. I would be interested to hear about the headaches as that's the reason I came off Metformin. I suffer regularly from migraines anyway (since childhood earliest memory of one is at 5 :( - even made me vomit ). Please let me know what your doctor says about it. Thanks :)

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have had migraines in the past (but these are not migraines) and it is always on the left hand side of my head - they do respond to painkillers (paracetamol and ibruprofen) but are very frequent. I should wear glasses for reading (but sometimes don't, well, a lot of the time I don't - but am now getting varifocals so hopefully that will not be an issue any more). Have had my eyes tested recently and nothing untoward there! I did have the headaches before I was diagnosed with diabetes and have to say I have put them down to high blood sugar levels - maybe they aren't, maybe they are stress related? I did have a bout a while ago of palpitations and this was checked out as well - so maybe it is to do with blood pressure? Can't say it would be easy to pin it on the metformin, they had lessened for a bit, but are back again, so it could be the januvia? Not very helpful I know :( but if I do come up with anything will let you know! (In long and boring detail :wink: )

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Fi, I wear glasses all the time. I tried varifocals and they gave me lots of headaches. Most of mine are migraines and I have to take triptans for them - the only thing that works. I just couldn't manage to look out of the right part of the lenses. I have now exchanged them for bifocals but I am not sure if its not them giving me the present headaches instead of the Metformin. I often find myself looking out of the wrong bit especially going down stairs! I just couldn't stand having to change glasses every time I wanted to read something hundreds of times a day (seemed like :? ). So I carry on with them - silly maybe :shock: I hope Januvia doesn't give me headaches like it may do to you. Well I am warned. Look forward to hearing from you - it may be long but it won't be boring. :) Good luck to you :)

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I have been taking Januvia for about 6 months now. I initially lost some weight, 12lbs :mrgreen:
I also started on a lower carb diet at the same time. I also started testing before and after meals. After about 4 weeks my Hb1Ac levels had dropped to 6.5 from 7.6.
I have just had another Hb1Ac test done and awaiting on the results. But I have a feeling that because I have lapsed on the low carbing my levels will be up again :cry: I have also gained a few pounds, but still lost weight from my original weight.
The only symptoms I can recall were a bit of constipation for the first week or two and a slight feeling of nausea. But nothing that I couldn't live with for a few weeks.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have just read this article about Januvia on Bloodsugar 101:

phlaunt.com/diabetes/18538604.php

I am rather depressed about it as I have just starting taking Januvia. I am wondering if I should ask my endo if I can come off Januvia and go back on Metformin. Does anyone agree or disagree with this article. It did occur to me that Bloodsugar 101 seemed rather negative in general.

(There are several threads on Januvia - could they perhaps be merged?)

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Thanks for the link Daisy, very interesting reading. But if we were to read about the side effects of every drug we took, we wouldn't take any medication.
I recently had my HbA1c test results. I was 7.6 in Feb, by March, 4 weeks after starting Januvia, I had dropped to 6.5.
Now in September my HbA1c is 6.0

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have been on Januvia for three weeks. I unfortunately didn't get the (possible) side effect of weight loss. As a result, over the three weeks on Januvia and four weeks without any medication at all, I put on 7 kilos (just over 1 stone). So I asked to go back on the Met hoping it would help me again to control what I eat. Will power is sadly lacking and Januvia unfortunately didn't help there. The only side effect I got on Januvia was even more frequent headaches. BG were higher than on Met but that I guess is down to dosage.