Just testing something - or the most random thread on the forum

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The all you can eat Chinese restaurant, was just a few miles outside of Arnhem in The Netherlands. Was there, taking a football team and parents and the locals paid for the restaurant, the night before we travelled home.

A small but pricey French restaurant, and a few items which we had on the menu we tried, call me stupid, but curiosity got me.
L' escargot, frogs legs and the smallest bit of steak and not cooked enough, horse!

Mostly chewy, but as usual tastes like chicken (ha!) But the steak was lean and surprisingly not bad.

But where?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Had a electrican that worked me years ago that could sing along with Hot Chocolate songs and sound like him, he was great singing Emmaline

I can still remember him and his nickname of Honk, but I can't remember what happened to him after he left us.

Emma, Emmaline.
Tragic tale, but great song.

He died about ten years ago, back in the Midlands.
Favourite song, Brother Louis.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I must tell you, I have just had deja vu.
I have done this before! The memory is so clear.
Wow!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The lyrics to Brother Louie would be a little rancid for the woke politically correct lot these days.

I see the 'stones have pulled Brown Sugar from their song lists at live concerts.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The American air force base was in Berlin around 1970.5
And I had for my meal was ham and eggs, as they called it. It was a gammon steak, the size of a dinner plate, with the gristle fat on and three fried eggs. The piece of pineapple was lonely, sides of mushrooms and salad.
The drink was coca cola, a pint glass, which never emptied.

Was really full afterwards.

The wimpy was also in Berlin in the shopping square opposite the infamous Spandau prison, where a certain Nazi was imprisoned.

A hamburger and fries (first taste of them) was not impressed but the milk shake was to die for!

Beating-My-Betes

I always have the forum on mild mode. I can switch to dark mode myself, using my computer and phone settings.

On both my iPhone and Mac, I use the inbuilt dark modes. However, these really only apply to the OS interface. But with the main browser i use (Brave), there is no way to convert all pages so that the background is black instead of white, and with white text.

What combo are you using that allows it?

Cheers!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On both my iPhone and Mac, I use the inbuilt dark modes. However, these really only apply to the OS interface. But with the main browser i use (Brave), there is no way to convert all pages so that the background is black instead of white, and with white text.

What combo are you using that allows it?

Cheers!
no I dea, I leave that stuff to my techy child when they pop over.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'Dark Mode' next, perhaps? ;)
You wish!

The forum software is way out of date for that to happen, it needs upgrading for a lot of features to be fixed.
with the main browser i use (Brave), there is no way to convert all pages so that the background is black instead of white, and with white text.
I do not have any apple exprience, but I think Brave uses similar apps to Chrome, which has a dark app.

Edit: I just found this that may be of help.

To enable or disable dark mode for your iPhone or iPad (and also for Brave), open the Control Center, long-press the Brightness bar, and then tap the icon labeled Dark Mode. If you have a dark mode schedule set up, Brave will automatically switch between dark and light modes along with the operating system
https://www.guidingtech.com/enable-disable-dark-mode-brave-browser-ios/

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a question, I have had several posts removed in a thread titled "Panties" which in my mind had nothing to do with what the OP posted.
If you forgot to take lantus insulin in the night before bed can you take it in morning
Two of the posts I made had the query what did "pants" mean, because another poster put "it's the pants" mean. It seemed to me it was kids first attempts at using profanities.

Now I now English is a strange old language, where you have male and female equivalents like pants and panties. Animals including people pant when they're short of breath. Dogs pant more in hot weather because they don't sweat, and so use their tongue to cool down.

People have been known to pant after celebrities bodies, similar to lust I expect.

None of what I wrote above fits the expression "it's the pants" so can you explain what it means in adult talk and not kids speak please.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
None of what I wrote above fits the expression "it's the pants" so can you explain what it means in adult talk and not kids speak please.
Funny how my google has no problem at all finding the meaning of 'pants'.
Forgetting your Lantus is definitely pants.
upload_2021-11-15_9-28-37.png

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funny how my google has no problem at all finding the meaning of 'pants'.
Forgetting your Lantus is definitely pants.
View attachment 52074
Apparently, though it is now no longer a cool expression used by young people, there are varying degrees of ‘pants’ as meaning something rubbish. Something of a continuum from ‘frilly panties’ to great big ‘Dad pants’. Of course, as soon as somebody old, like beyond teenage years, starts to use a term first used by the younger generation it becomes obsolete to them. So, the term ‘pants’ used as a descriptor for something that is ‘rubbish’ or ‘ useless’ is indeed itself the ultimate ‘big Dad pants’. :D:hilarious::hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently, though it is now no longer a cool expression used by young people, there are varying degrees of ‘pants’ as meaning something rubbish.
It's funny how this forum has caused a weird gap in my knowledge of your language when it comes to the use of expletives!
My writing in English is pretty much fluent, although sometimes my sentences are built somewhat odd, and I have a lot less words available than a native speaker. But it's almost impossible for me to choose the right expletive for the right situation or gauge the 'weight' of different expletives. So I'm the odd one who never uses a 'bad' word even in the company of heavy cursing people, not because I'm against using 'bad' words in general but I simply haven't learnt how to use them!

My English has gotten so much better since becoming a member of the forum, but due to the strict rules on language, my knowledge of that part of the language hasn't grown along with the rest of it so now I'm a bit lopsided, language wise! :hilarious:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's funny how this forum has caused a weird gap in my knowledge of your language when it comes to the use of expletives!
My writing in English is pretty much fluent, although sometimes my sentences are built somewhat odd, and I have a lot less words available than a native speaker. But it's almost impossible for me to choose the right expletive for the right situation or gauge the 'weight' of different expletives. So I'm the odd one who never uses a 'bad' word even in the company of heavy cursing people, not because I'm against using 'bad' words in general but I simply haven't learnt how to use them!

My English has gotten so much better since becoming a member of the forum, but due to the strict rules on language, my knowledge of that part of the language hasn't grown along with the rest of it so now I'm a bit lopsided, language wise! :hilarious:

The most descriptive swear word is the most flexible word used in our language.
It is so versatile and mean so many different descriptions of speech, am certain that most languages has room for it to exist, other than English.
The diversity of accents,not just in the U.K.but across the globe, even if tis difficult to understand.
My biggest gripe watching U.S. t.v. is the so called British accent they use for an Englishman. Usually a baddie! I don't think I have met someone who actually talks that way.
It's funny how much English has developed, mostly through, what the young, trying to be fashion speak, and the gangs, and most of the time only the written word is slow to the new speak.
So, for ...... sake! I'm ....... going to see to the ........ washing, I'm ....ed!,
got to have a ...., ....! So, I'm ........ on my way! Go away! .... stressful!

Have a ........ lovely day!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is so versatile and mean so many different descriptions of speech, am certain that most languages has room for it to exist, other than English.
You're not wrong there. .... and ....... are perfectly normal words to use in a Dutch sentence (depending on your company of course)!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The French restaurant was in Greece on one of the small Ionian islands we visited.
I wish I could remember some of the names of the dishes we were served in the hotel or one of the Greek restaurants we enjoyed. That was the first taste of natural full fat Greek yoghurt, I had with some fruit pie.
Wonderful.

One of the funniest unintentional situations I have ever seen, was a goalkeeping coach, who was taking a training session with some of the junior members of the academy. As with football he was from distant shores. His misuse of the English language and swearing defied belief. One of the youngsters did something that the coach disliked immensely, he came out, not realising that not only the children but their parents as well could hear scream a blast of descriptive language you would only hear in an adult changing room.
I couldn't help but laugh, but I wasn't alone, most of the parents found it very funny!

After, he said he was not aware of using such bad language, he didn't actually know the difference!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The French restaurant was in Greece on one of the small Ionian islands we visited.
I wish I could remember some of the names of the dishes we were served in the hotel or one of the Greek restaurants we enjoyed. That was the first taste of natural full fat Greek yoghurt, I had with some fruit pie.
Wonderful.

One of the funniest unintentional situations I have ever seen, was a goalkeeping coach, who was taking a training session with some of the junior members of the academy. As with football he was from distant shores. His misuse of the English language and swearing defied belief. One of the youngsters did something that the coach disliked immensely, he came out, not realising that not only the children but their parents as well could hear scream a blast of descriptive language you would only hear in an adult changing room.
I couldn't help but laugh, but I wasn't alone, most of the parents found it very funny!

After, he said he was not aware of using such bad language, he didn't actually know the difference!
When I lived in Greece as a child, my naughty dad taught me Greek swear words, telling me they meant something else :)