Keto numbers

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all been a long time since i posted just interested to know what peoples ketone readings are on low carb diet

Reactions: jpscloud

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all been a long time since i posted just interested to know what peoples ketone readings are on low carb diet

I've been living a low carb lifestyle for 10 years now. I can't say I am fussed about ketone levels. Provided my blood glucose numbers are fine, being in or out of ketosis isn't important to me.

Some folks buy urine testing strips, or finger prick blood tests.

Do you have concerns about ketones, or are you just curious?

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been living a low carb lifestyle for 10 years now. I can't say I am fussed about ketone levels. Provided my blood glucose numbers are fine, being in or out of ketosis isn't important to me.

Some folks buy urine testing strips, or finger prick blood tests.

Do you have concerns about ketones, or are you just curious?

Just curious I’ll take this on board on my low carb journey thanks for reply

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only use the pee stix. They're not very accurate but are good enough to indicate whether I'm in ketosis or not.

My BG readings are generally predictable but occasionally (as at the moment) I've had to take some medication last thing at night that's loaded with glucose and sucrose - I'm not prepared to wake up in the middle of the night and test, but it's enough to know it's (as expected) taken me out of ketosis.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Provided I am eating fewer that 25gms carbs, my BG readings are good and the scales show I am losing weight, even if only a pound a week, I don’t bother with ketones any more either. The test strips for my meter are so expensive that I can’t afford them anyway.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
After some weeks on LCHF I bought some keto pee-strips in an attempt to see how far I was into Keto.
Results, no noticeable level.
So I assumed that either A). The strips were faulty
or B). I was barely in Ketosis at all.

Later I saw somebody post (online somewhere) that only blood keto testing works for those in longer term keto whose bodies are adapted to it, because they are using up the Ketones not peeing or breathing them away!

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_8661.jpeg

currently but I go to 4.0

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

"Intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people are not offended."

Author unkown
After some weeks on LCHF I bought some keto pee-strips in an attempt to see how far I was into Keto.
Results, no noticeable level.
So I assumed that either A). The strips were faulty
or B). I was barely in Ketosis at all.

Later I saw somebody post (online somewhere) that only blood keto testing works for those in longer term keto whose bodies are adapted to it, because they are using up the Ketones not peeing or breathing them away!
I'm a NYD keyo starter, again, and after 3 days I'm hitting a constant 4 in pee dipping. Blood meters are much better as they take instant readings and are very precise where as pee sticks only says what your K levels were in the last 4 hours or so.
Hth.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

"Intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people are not offended."

Author unkown
Provided I am eating fewer that 25gms carbs, my BG readings are good and the scales show I am losing weight, even if only a pound a week, I don’t bother with ketones any more either. The test strips for my meter are so expensive that I can’t afford them anyway.
That's the problem, cost. However, always tell the supplier you are a diabetic and you get them, and glucose strips vat free.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My keto strips arrived today - as this is probably the most important attempt at keto for me, being old, unwell and tired of feeling like a zombie, I thought it was worth the expense for motivation. I'm doing low carb with 16 or 14 hour fasts daily and I'm a few days in now. I was pleasantly surprised with 0.6 and looking forward to seeing if I can get into the optimal nutritional range.

Reactions: lovinglife

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Little voice echoing in the wilderness here! 8am ketones were 1.1, very pleased with that. An hour after "breakfast" kefir, my 6.7 mmol BG shot up to 10 and ketones down to 0.3. BG quickly returned to around 6/7 mmol the rest of the day, which is still very good compared to the teens I was getting when I stuffed my face all day with carbs. Kefir later in the day doesn't have that same effect, quite puzzled about that.

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Currently at 1.7 - but like a lot of the others on this thread. I test very rarely, and providing my finger prick glucose readings are between 5.0 and 7.8 (mmol/l) I don't worry about it. :)

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Little voice echoing in the wilderness here! 8am ketones were 1.1, very pleased with that. An hour after "breakfast" kefir, my 6.7 mmol BG shot up to 10 and ketones down to 0.3. BG quickly returned to around 6/7 mmol the rest of the day, which is still very good compared to the teens I was getting when I stuffed my face all day with carbs. Kefir later in the day doesn't have that same effect, quite puzzled about that.
Kefir (my own, not shop bought) does not affect my BG or my ketones at all, unlike the shop bought stuff. I love the tingly stuff, thanks to one of our member @shelley262 who advocated it.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Currently at 1.7 - but like a lot of the others on this thread. I test very rarely, and providing my finger prick glucose readings are between 5.0 and 7.8 (mmol/l) I don't worry about it. :)
I'm just using monitoring to motivate myself - and I suppose to reassure myself that things are happening. It will most likely tail off, not least because of the cost, but in the past I stopped monitoring because I'd lapsed so I hope that doesn't happen this time!

• Agree
Reactions: aylalake

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kefir (my own, not shop bought) does not affect my BG or my ketones at all, unlike the shop bought stuff. I love the tingly stuff, thanks to one of our member @shelley262 who advocated it.
Yes I wonder about the spike really, as kefir (only using shop bought at the moment) at other times hasn't spiked me. Maybe just a one-off. I'm not sure about home made kefir, I started some off yesterday and I think it's a bit cold in my house, I don't feel the cold unless I'm ill so tend not to use the heating much. I'm not sure I'll like the fizziness, I'm not fond of effervescent wine etc. - hope this works so I can find out!

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes I wonder about the spike really, as kefir (only using shop bought at the moment) at other times hasn't spiked me. Maybe just a one-off. I'm not sure about home made kefir, I started some off yesterday and I think it's a bit cold in my house, I don't feel the cold unless I'm ill so tend not to use the heating much. I'm not sure I'll like the fizziness, I'm not fond of effervescent wine etc. - hope this works so I can find out!
My kitchen is around 9 or 10 deg C and the kefir is ready within 24 hours, sometimes sooner.
I wasn’t sure about the fizziness either because I don’t like sparkling water. However it’s more of a tingle on your tongue which I have come to love.

• Informative