Keto Query

MiriamCus

How do you curb the sweet tooth on Keto diet for snacking - newbie diagnosed type 2 and on keto for 4 weeks now - missing sweet stuff madly....
Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After I got into ketosis, my appetite for snacks vanished and I never really had a sweet tooth.

Google the following:
Keto chocolate mug cake
Keto fat bombs
Keto anything you fancy!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I just gave up almost all sweet tasting things. Didn't use any substitutes and broke the craving/addiction.
Now regular full fat milk tastes sweet to my taste buds and I couldn't imagine having anything with actual sugar in it.

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lindt 95% chocolate

I keep it in the freezer and have the odd square now and again and let it melt in my mouth. But I can take it or leave it, a bar will last me a few months i usually forget I've got it.

MiriamCus

Think I want it because its new that I cant have it.... if that makes sense. Tried Stevia in coffee and it tasted awful so now go without sugar in tea and coffee but still have cravings for choc and crisps.... :arghh:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Think I want it because its new that I cant have it.... if that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense, bit like when they told me I was gluten intolerant, I suddenly really really wanted lots of stuff with gluten in, that before I would've had if I felt like it, but no great urges to have

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something that I did when I was craving chocolate, crisps etc was to look at some pictures and read some stories of the damage diabetes can do.

The cravings soon disappeared

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are various keto crisps you can make. I soon discovered that the keto community is incredibly creative and inventive.

Reactions: Loulai

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not keto just low carb so not sure if you can have these or not you would be better to check - For sweetness I have strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, 95% Lindtt dark chocolate with even a little peanut butter on top, sugar free jelly and double cream or just double cream on it own or with the berries but when you stop the sweet stuff your cravings do go.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's like having an itch on your nose, the more I try and ignore that feeling, the greater the urge to satisfy my sweet tooth. I now keep some faux maple syrup for such moments
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081D4BJC9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I dribble about half teaspoon of the syrup over a couple tablespoons of mascarpone, creme fresh, Greek yogurt, or just double cream.

A teaspoon of peanut butter also sometimes scratches that sweet itch!

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think I want it because its new that I cant have it.... if that makes sense. Tried Stevia in coffee and it tasted awful so now go without sugar in tea and coffee but still have cravings for choc and crisps.... :arghh:
I haven't tried Stevia, but I bought some granulated erythritol for a low carb bread recipe, and having tasted a small sample, I find it an enjoyable sweetness, not entirely unlike sugar.

I don't have sugar in tea or coffee, so I can't say how well it works in these.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Make a sugar free jelly with half the water and add some ice cubes and frozen berries to set it swiftly, or always have some in the fridge.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My personal opinion is, my low carb way of eating is something I need to do for the rest of my life, and that’s a long time without cake! I understand what everyone says about ’getting over your sweet tooth’, and to a large extent I have, I make things much less sweet than I used to and on a daily basis, I do not require anything sweeter than unsweetened double cream.

My must-have cravings are mostly gone, and fortunately I actually stopped eating chocolate a couple of years prior to diagnosis. I had a bad viral infection one winter, lost my sense of taste and completely went off food for about 2 weeks. When everything was back to normal, my chocolate addiction was gone and has never returned. Ordinary milk chocolate is faintly revolting to me now, and while I could happily have scoffed a load of Hotel Chocolate dark chocolate marzipans, there was no craving any more. So I didn’t. Weird...

But I have always enjoyed a bit of cake and did not want ‘get over’ that, so I bake keto cake now and then. Quite often, keto scones for weekend breakfasts. So you can still have sweet things, the frequency and amount are something to resolve with your meter. Or in my case, my tolerance for baking!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a small low carb hot chocolate most days at breakfast time - nil blood glucose impact. It is made with hot water, double cream, pure cocoa powder and erythritol. Delicious. And at least as sustaining as most breakfast options.

having been keto for years, I still enjoy sweet foods, as well as savory. Not everyone loses their taste for such things - although it is often stated this is a beneficial outcome of reducing sweet stuff in the diet. Honey was always a highly prized item in man’s diet throughout pre-history, so it is perfectly natural to enjoy such foods. Of course, back then, honey and fruit were seasonal and only available in small quantities. Nowadays we can gorge on sweet stuff all day, if we want. So limiting portions and frequency becomes the challenge.

you could try googling fat bombs, and keto mug cakes, or simply include a few berries as a dessert after a meal.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Start with 75% dark choc, one square a day then next bar go to 85% then 90% .etc
Its surprising how much taste buds change over time. I'm still struggling with the 100% though... have to have it with double cream.
For crisps try gouda crisps or edam or maasdam. Only need 2 or 3 to feel satiated

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Much easier than I thought it would be.. since I was a total candy lover lol. I’d always have M&M and black licorice in the house..

my go to snack is a spoon full of peanut butter, or a handful of nuts.

Carol1957

I have found “sniffing vanilla “ for a short while totally fools my brain and satisfies my crave. Apparently your brain can’t tell the difference between smelling and eating sugar!
Really works

Reactions: Mabe

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
85 per cent chocolate is ok. Lookup keto cheese crisps. Have a look at keto fat bombs.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found “sniffing vanilla “ for a short while totally fools my brain and satisfies my crave. Apparently your brain can’t tell the difference between smelling and eating sugar!
Really works

That made me laugh. I can just imagine you at Starbucks! As a matter of interest, vanilla in what form? x