LCHF - does it work?

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Newly diagnosed with T2 and I've been reading and watching a TED talk about low carbs high fat diet and it's very interesting. What are your experience and views?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just lost 20kg in 3 1/2 months on it. Blood sugars in normal range ..no medication. All thanks to the LCHF diet and the people on this forum.

Reactions: 9 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed with T2 and I've been reading and watching a TED talk about low carbs high fat diet and it's very interesting. What are your experience and views?
I found it does work. Keeps blood glucose within acceptable levels, not hungry, and enjoy food.
Only downside for me when I started was that I interpreted the HF component a bit too literally. I love the taste of cheese and cream, and nuts, and did not give a thought to the amount of calories and the effect on digestion. I am not able to consume high levels of fat that some people can, but it is definitely the way forward in diabetes management for me now that I have minimal carbs and enough fat. It was trial and error until I found the correct levels for me.

Reactions: 12 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wish and hope it would work for me but have always been conscious of eating low fat. Although now that I've been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes that has had to change as am trying to eat low carbs but have also been looking at the fat, its a habit, I cant help it :confused: But it looks like you're all doing so well on the LCHF diet that I may have to try to change my ways. I need to lose about 3.5 stone ideally but have also got 140/90 blood pressure so am worried about that going up if I eat higher fat?:eek:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish and hope it would work for me but have always been conscious of eating low fat. Although now that I've been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes that has had to change as am trying to eat low carbs but have also been looking at the fat, its a habit, I cant help it :confused: But it looks like you're all doing so well on the LCHF diet that I may have to try to change my ways. I need to lose about 3.5 stone ideally but have also got 140/90 blood pressure so am worried about that going up if I eat higher fat?:eek:
It does take some getting used to, @jal16 . Especially if we have been conditionec to accept the accepted 'wisdom' that is the current recommended NHS low fat carbs with every meal mantra.
I find it hard to believe that it took me so long to realise that following the advice to eat low carb, was doing me harm with ever increasing blood glucose levels and continuing weight gain. The whole idea of full fat milk, yogurt, cheese etc was alien to me due to blindly accepting that the popular low fat diet was what I needed.

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it works. Carbs (in both high sugar and starchy foods) are what raise your glucose levels, so reducing the quantity of very "carby" food will help bring them down. The higher fats part of the diet provides your body with the fuel you need for energy previously obtained from carbohydrates, and fats and oils additionally have the benefit of not affecting your glucose levels at all. LCHF will also help if you need to lose weight as any surplus carbs in a high carb diet are stored as fat, so this will no longer happen, and (unless you 're eating too much fat) your body will use stored fat in addition to dietary fat for its energy sources.

I've lost weight, reduced my glucose levels, and my cholersterol levels have gone down too.

Robbity

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Fabulous results!
Has your neuropathy reversed at tall?
Thanks. It has improved immensely. For a while it was so painful I could barely walk and now there's no pain. Now there's just a bit of loss of feeling in my feet and even that is slowly improving.

Reactions: 18 people

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I've been on a LCHF diet Since the end of November 2015, lost 20kg BMI down to 22.7 BGs are between 5-7 diabetic medication down from several tablets to Zero also blood pressure is now normal was high, It been going well, also a bonus is I'm no longer suffering from acid reflux which stopped one week in to the diet, best part is it hasn't been that difficult.

Reactions: 7 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am not strict LCHF, I do stray a bit, but my approach to eating is mainly based on LCHF. I have lost 2st 7lbs in 6 months, and my mmol/L levels are now down to 5-7 in the morning (non-diabetic levels). The weight loss was also due to a fairly Spartan eating regime, usually only one meal a day.
The only thing I am a bit concerned about is my cholesterol levels. Last August it was 4.7, which was a little higher than it should be. Apparently GPs say diabetics should be 4 or less. I am on statins. I won't know how it has changed until my next blood test this August. But people on here who are on LCHF say their cholesterol levels have got better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, it works for me too. I've lost weight, my BG levels are where they should be and my foot neuropathy has gone. The only time I get pain in my foot is when I've over-carbed.

It did feel odd in the beginning as it goes against everything we thought we knew, but once you dive into double cream, you'll be a happy bod!

I'm just on my way to a Doctor's appointment and am going to tell him that I want to quit the Metformin. Wish me luck!

Reactions: 10 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, it works for me too. I've lost weight, my BG levels are where they should be and my foot neuropathy has gone. The only time I get pain in my foot is when I've over-carbed.

It did feel odd in the beginning as it goes against everything we thought we knew, but once you dive into double cream, you'll be a happy bod!

I'm just on my way to a Doctor's appointment and am going to tell him that I want to quit the Metformin. Wish me luck!
Good luck! :)

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's always the High Fat part that seems to scare people.

It is the Low Carb part that is necessary to reduce your BG. I always say I am on a very Low Carb diet. I have to get additional calories from other sources, and that only leaves protein or fat.

It worked for me, over 50 llbs lost, no need for BP meds and a non diabetic HbA1c reading in only 3 months.

Most importantly there is NO necessity to eat Lots and Lots of Fat. The only important thing is to eat as few Carbs as possible.

You will find that by doing that you will automatically end up consuming more Fats, but it is also important that you choose good fats when you can.

Despite what you may read on some of the more outlandish sites, you do not have to consume gallons of cream, and put butter and oil in your drinks.

You can if you want, but it is not an essential part of making the diet work.

Last edited by a moderator:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi jal16, You can only try, it is working for me, been on it now for nearly 7 weeks lost weight feel healthier, but I too have to watch the fat content sometimes. Its just trial and error with us all I think, as we are all a bit different with certain foods. What one can get away with another cant don't stress over it too much it will come right in the end. that's what I keep telling myself anyway.:):)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @mizloco

It worked for me as well

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Worked for me .. Remember that eating fat won't make you fat ..eating lots of carbs will !

Reactions: 8 people

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Works for me. About two months on LCHF. I am eating a more varied and flavoursome diet. Raspberries and cream for breakfast today and packed lunch of avocado and prawn cocktail...yummy! BG stable, IBS disappeared almost overnight and probably lost some weight but I am not weighing or measuring.

Reactions: 11 people