Leg cramps & Metformin?

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
I've found that any side affects disappeared gradually.

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
6.3 fasting/6.8 after.

kathiehayhoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been having leg cramps and I also take Metformin. If I stop the Simvastatin the cramps disappear and when started again back come the cramps. The statins have now been changed to Atorvstatin and so far the cramps have not come back. Is it the Metformin ot the Statins?

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't really know the answer but the fact that they went when you changed tablets,will be your guide.

6.0 fasting.Post breakfast 7.5.

tom@cliffe

My doctor replaces has replaced insulin for Janumet an d Glimepride I stopped taking Atorvastatin to see if my knee pain would improve

chris070158

Me too! I went to see my GP last week as I could not bear the pain of the 'tendon cramps' any more - I would be struck in the night and my feet and toes too seemed to find strange angles. i just did not know where to put myself - I then was frightened to sleep, as it did seem to come on more than once a night..I could also almost guarantee that any walking exercise would cause this. I explained that it was different to muscle cramp, which although unpleasant, I could cope with, and whilst the GP is unsure as to whether it is a side effect of any of my tablets, I have now had blood tests as she believes it could be a Magnesium deficiency. I take Metformin SR, gliclazide, Simvastatin, and Arimidex. She prescribed Quinine sulphate tablets, and 'touch wood' I have had realatively better night. I have woken with a small twinge, but it has not progressed as before. Quinine leaves a disgusting taste in the mouth in the morning, but that's a small niggle, compared to the awful pain before. I am now awaiting the results, so we will see..

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Chris - do not let the doctor prescribe Quinine Sulphate for too long - take Magnesium as an alternative.

Cynthia6

I have leg cramps at night but I also have burning feelings on the soles of my feet and sore heels, I went to the doctor because of the pain she prescribed paracetamol and said I need a blood test in case I am short of vitamin B12 anyone know what vitamin B12 is for
I have also got a spare meter if anyone needs one

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My father had B12 for pernicious amnemia.

kathyfardell

The subject of leg crams/pains caught my attention , and Im now wondering if anyone has leg PAINS ?
I do get cramps but not lots, however every night I get the most horrendous leg pains, from groin to ankle. It's like deep sharp pains jumping around all over my legs.
I'm 3 Metformin daily and one Simvastatin.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Statins can cause joint and muscle pains. Have a Google on statin side effects, and see what you think. Also have a look at Duane Graveline's website - google "spacedoc.net" for a very comprehensive list of statin side-effects. Once you've had a good look around and if it seems to make sense - I've never heard of night-time jumping-about pains - go and discuss it with your doctor.

I had joint and muscle pains, also leg weakness, on 10mg (mcg?) Simvastatin per day. Other people can take much more and get on with them perfectly well. We are all different. Your doctor may suggest you take a different variety of statin - some seem to cause more problems than others.

Hope this helps. I've never heard of your sort of pain as a statin side-effect, but you never know! Do talk to your doctor.

Viv 8)

stevo

hello all. i take Metformin twice a day , morning and lunch time, and i too get awful cramps in my toes. i changed my statin to Atorvastatin, but still get the cramps , mainly at night . is this common. :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I don't think the leg cramps are to do with statins. I don't take statins, haven't for about 5 years, but I never got these "tendon" cramps before being diagnosed with diabetes and taking metformin.

I'm staying with the metformin because it gives some protection against stroke/CVD. I take 450mg of magnesium citrate every day - 1 x 150mg 3 times daily - and, while I can't say it stops the cramps completely, they are far fewer and less painful.

No side effects, and you can't OD on magnesium - if you take too much you'll get the runs! :shock:

Viv 8)

arkle

Long-term type 1 also on metformin ( fairly recently) have had leg cramps for quite a few years & max dose of quinine sulphate (nightly) does next to nothing to control it. Doesn't seem to make any difference what my sugar levels are, I am usually woken up by it. Have found over the years, that holding a strong magnet adjacent to the area for several minutes helps a lot. I think it maybe to do with the interruption of the small electrical signals being sent back & forth to the area. The stronger the magnet, the faster & better it seems to work.

Aquavenltd

I have been Metformin for 5 years now and on insulin for the last 3 months. I would put the problem down to the simvistatin, I had the same problems, now on a more expensive statin after stamping my feet, much improved now. Simvistatin is notorious for muscle and joint pains and is one of the cheapest statin available hence the GPs using this drug...

crems078

I have suffered cramps sometimes so severe as to be unbearable but was told it was caused by the statins I've been taking since being diagnosed T2 in 2007. I take quinine when it's unbearable.

petertremelling

Metformin is getting a bad press lately, but Imhave been on 3 x 850mg Metformin a day for over 3 years, and I don't get leg cramps. I would suggest that they are more likely to be caused by your being less mobile?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
petertremelling said:
Metformin is getting a bad press lately, but Imhave been on 3 x 850mg Metformin a day for over 3 years, and I don't get leg cramps. I would suggest that they are more likely to be caused by your being less mobile?

I'm even less mobile than usual, have been for about 5 days because of the snow, and I haven't had a single cramp! I'm a big fan of Metformin for its protection against stroke/CVD, even more important as I'm a statin refusenik.

I've heard of the tonic water cure for the leg cramps. As BaliRob said above, prescribed quinine sulphate, taken long term, can have a bad effect on the kidneys (google it). The magnesium citrate works for me, and helps with blood pressure too. Each to his own. :D

Viv 8)