Leg cramps & Metformin?

Pat Chaplin

I get terrible leg and toe cramps. In fact had toe cramps a few nights ago that had me hopping round the bedroom at 4 in the morning with my toes as stiff as boards pointing skywards. I knew I was in for trouble because I'd been fighting foot cramps before I went to sleep. A few nights before that I had crippling leg cramps. I never really suffered from cramps before I was diagnosed Type 2 and started taking Metformin.
Another thing I get all the time since taking Metformin is jumpy muscles in my legs. It looks like I've got creepy crawlies under the skin moving about all over the place. Is that normal??

tree-peony

kathyfardell said:
The subject of leg crams/pains caught my attention , and Im now wondering if anyone has leg PAINS ?
I do get cramps but not lots, however every night I get the most horrendous leg pains, from groin to ankle. It's like deep sharp pains jumping around all over my legs.
I'm 3 Metformin daily and one Simvastatin.

Metformin does this to me as well but it does seem to be easing a bit now. I find a warm bath before bed helps.

papagran40

leg cramps and metformin ??..I have been on 4x500 a day for years..I am also on a diuretic , I do not get cramp very often , but when it does happen , all hell breaks out...some people reckon a small sip of water can help.....me ? , I am too sore to get any water when it eases....I just have to lie there....so not sure if it is the metformin or not ? but wish it would stop.........papa.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Tonic water has quinine in it which is great for cramps. A spoon of Milk of Magnesium also works. Magnesium relaxes muscles. Also, a pinch of salt on the tongue works wonders too. Don't know how but it works.

I tend to get cramp if my feet get cold and I lie there yelling and trying to push my feet against the wall and I always totally forget the three wonderful remedies I've mentioned above. Cramp seems to do that to me. The pain makes everything else fly out of my head!

:lol:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I do not think that there is any connection between leg cramps and Metformin. I suffered serious leg cramps (entire lower body seizures included) long before I was diagnosed with Diabetes and thus not having been prescribed Metformin. Quinine Sulphate was my lifesaver and for at least 8 years never had one hint of leg cramp for the whole of that time. A few months ago I came off QS having been informed that it was banned in the US and discovering I had CKD - coincidence? I don't think so.

Now I am frightened to go to bed having had the worst possible twisted muscles seizure affecting both legs from the waist down which induced nausea and shock - this was after one month of taking Magnesium Malate (max dose).The pain took two hours to subside during which time I was powerless to do anything to help myself - like crawling to the phone or taking my blood sugar, etc. The doctors are at a loss as to how to help me - they are convinced that it is Diabetic Neuropathy and have prescribed Sirdalud ( a muscle relaxant), Neurobion - in case I have vitamin deficiencies which have not shown up in all previous blood tests and Pletaal to assist with blood circulation. Yet still I have the threatening precursor leg pains indicating that one wrong move of the limb in bed will
cause an immediate seizure. Now my daily walking ability is threatened and I feel that it will be my legs that will first succumb to the Diabetes.

If any members have connection with European or US Endocrinologists with leg cramp experience - I would ask them to discuss my problem with them in an 'off the record' manner because any ideas would be much appreciated. I have a wonderful heart condition with pressure always cruising at 120/80 - and am on 2 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 10mg Simvastatin (remember I had cramp before diagnosis).

Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

Rob

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently gone on low dose Metformin and have started getting mild leg cramps - apparently one of the things Metformin does is to force more glucose into the muscles, so maybe that has something to do with it? I've been on quite high doses of magnesium for a while, prior to taking the Metformin, and it's not stopping the cramps. Luckily they're fairly mild.

From Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101 site on Metformin:
"Research suggests that Metformin may stimulate glucose uptake by muscles and inhibit glucose production by the liver by activating an enzyme, AMP-activated protein kinase which is present in muscle, liver, and heart cells. This enzyme is usually activated when exercise has burnt off cellular energy stores. So in a way, Metformin seems to trick the body into thinking it has exercised. This may be why it can slightly elevate levels of lactate--the substance that makes your muscles ache the day after an exercise session."

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045911.php

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I saw a programme on TV about 2 years ago about a man who had a severe calcium deficiency which caused his whole body to seize up with excruciatingly painful muscle cramps. It took a while before he was diagnosed with the calcium deficiency and I really felt for him because the cramp I get in my calf muscles and the tops of my feet and toes from time to time is excruciatingly painful. It scares the life out of me because when it happens I'm in so much pain that I can't move myself to try to alleviate it. It takes every bit of strength I have to get my feet to somewhere that I can push against. Then my next port of call is to the cupboard for Milk of Mag. I often wondered why my Mum always had a bottle of Milk of Mag in her cupboard. I've heard it can also be used as a first aid measure for heart attacks as it relaxes the muscles.

But to have that cramping in other muscles must be absolutely unbearable and scary.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I am bumping this up in my own interest - please help if you can

Thx

Rob

davy49

i have leg cramps and take metformin is there anywhere i can get information on type 2, like diet sheets, what causes spikes, i have not had any info on this and would like some or any meetings i can go to i live in newcastle upon tyne thank you davy49

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Davy and welcome to the forum :)

Here, at this link, is the information we give to new members which I hope you will find useful. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will help:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

NormanLes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I too get evening/night cramps. Put it down to NEUROPATHY but no confirmation from GP. I'm on METFORMIN & INSULIN & SIMVASTATIN.
Sorry don't know how to overcome other than when it wakes me up, like you, I walk around the room!!
NormanLes.

ruth_top

l take insulin and metfromin and in mu life l dont recall getting cramps till the last month
l get them behind my knees when lm in bed especially when l stretch and today for the first time l got it in my 3 small toes on my left foot which were locked together with cramp

Am totally lost what to do

Caz1073

Hopefully everyone here is well aware the Metformin lowers your vitamin B12 levels!
B12 deficiency will give you several symptoms the same as diabetes can from mild to severe!

So you NEED to make sure your vitamin B12 levels are routinely tested.

As a diabetic myself and a sufferer of PA (Pernicious Anaemia), I was luckily diagnosed with PA first or I may be in all sorts of problems now.

PA is an auto immune disease but sadly when we are tested for other auto immune diseases our B12 levels are not specifically tested and this can leave 95% of patients undetected.

Another problem is if you do ask to be checked then you need to be aware that the levels that we detect and treat at in this country are too low and a lot of damage could have already been done,it has been proven that people whos levels are under 500 their brain is deteriorating twice as fast as those with B12 levels over 500, surely for this reason alone it is best to prevent problems.

So please be aware of the following
Make sure you get tested as soon as possible.
Ask what your levels are when you call up for the results (DO NOT LET THEM JUST TELL YOU YOUR LEVELS ARE OK YOU NEED A FIGURE).
If your levels are under 190 or 160 (depending where you live) the NHS will treat you with B12 injections.
If your levels are over this but under 500 YOU need to do something about it the next best thing to injections are the lozenges that dissolve under the tongue. http://foryourhealth.co.uk/

NEW DOCUMENTARY http://youtu.be/BvEizypoyO0
www.pernicious-anaemia-society.org

Link to the Daily Telegraph Article. It’s the second paragraph down.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9827222/James-Lefanu-Doctors-Diary-aspirin-is-not-for-everyone.html

Hope this helps some of you it is good to be in the know :)

Take Care best wishes
x

magjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I too had horrific leg cramps. I cramped so badly I slipped a disc! Am now on Metabet SR AND an anti-spasmodic (for epileptics!) carbamazapine. No one suggested at the onset it was the Metformin. Will need to discuss this with my GP, as maybe I don't need the second tab now.

Tootse

GraceK said:
I saw a programme on TV about 2 years ago about a man who had a severe calcium deficiency which caused his whole body to seize up with excruciatingly painful muscle cramps. It took a while before he was diagnosed with the calcium deficiency and I really felt for him because the cramp I get in my calf muscles and the tops of my feet and toes from time to time is excruciatingly painful. It scares the life out of me because when it happens I'm in so much pain that I can't move myself to try to alleviate it. It takes every bit of strength I have to get my feet to somewhere that I can push against. Then my next port of call is to the cupboard for Milk of Mag. I often wondered why my Mum always had a bottle of Milk of Mag in her cupboard. I've heard it can also be used as a first aid measure for heart attacks as it relaxes the muscles.

But to have that cramping in other muscles must be absolutely unbearable and scary.

Before type 2 diagnosis last July, I used to get aches in top of my feet and calves when i walked a lot during the day (ie sightseeing on holiday) and the pain kept me awake at night. But I didn't walk quite so much in my day to day activities so it wasn't a problem.

I have now been on 3x500 Metformin for 7 months (although I'm not too convinced it's the tablets, but hey what do I know). I was fine for quite a few months but in the last 3 weeks it has really got me down. Unlike many others I don't really have night cramps. Hot feet yes. What I do have sounds similar to GraceK, but not as painful, and similar to my old aches from lots of walking. Tops of feet and lower calves/tendons, particularly my left foot, it hurts to even try to point my toes. This pain/ache is constant throughout the day, although not necessarily as strong every day. I thought it may be connected to the fact that for last 4/5 months my job role has changed and I sit at a desk for many hours every day. but then I scrapped that idea, as I took to walking to and from work about 2 months ago, along with walking for half hour during lunch break to get fitter. But I've starting to avoid the lunchtime walk because of my foot pain. I've tried different shoes/boots. I will look into taking magnesium to see it it will help. Fingers crossed.

I will also speak to my doctor on Monday.

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
Marvelous...Wonderful..
More to the point how did I miss this thread?? I'm on Statins & 2kmg of Met a day & have slipped discs in my neck & back & guess what the most horrendous cramps 3/4 times a week!!! The back surgeon suggests that having had a neck op 3 1/2 years ago they would rather not operate again so soon!! Understandable comment but what if the cramps have nothing to do with the back??? OK so I take 26 tabs a day not including painkillers & i'm insulin dependent T2 so inject as well but SURELY they could put 2&2 Together & get at least close to 4!!! OR does the general medical council. & NICE need informing of the connection???

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies
I am only a recently diagnosed diabetic but I had however been taking simvastatin for years.
I got the leg cramps mildly at first and didn't realize the statin was doing it. As time went by cramps got so much more painful. Eventually I kept having pains in my chest (remember that the heart is a muscle), I thought I was having mild heart attacks. I couldn't breathe or move at those times. Something made the connection between the statins which I had been taking for years so I checked out the side effects and stopped taking them and the cramps stopped immediately.
When I went to docs and told her what I had done she agreed it was for the best. I now have a doc who is prepared to send me for tests to see what meds my body is agreeable with.
At least I'm happy that my doc will treat me in a way to suit me.

cas65

Well, the leg / tendon cramps are what I often experience - my toes curl up and ankles twist and my shins feel like tightly strung bows. The pain is excrutiating and all I can do is rub the leg or legs rock back and to and beg for the pain to stop.

My diabetic nurse and doctor can't explain it and tell me they will get better the better my blood sugar control is - bo**ocks!!!!!!!

The only effective prevention is to keep my feet and legs warm so I wear socks (over the knee) 24/7 all year round.

If there was anyway to pin point what the exact cause is I would love to know ....

As for my medical care - I have completely given up on it and the only contact I have with my care providers is when I phone for a repeat prescription - they know nothing, recommend nothing, don't consider anything I suggest, can't provide me with my results properly since the printer won't work

The answer to anything I ask is - improve your blood sugar control and everything will be fine ...

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
My blood sugars are reasonably well controlled and, if you read my contributions to this subject, you will see I have an Olympic Cramp
Gold for this event which would tend to indicate no correlation between blood sugar levels and leg cramps. Another thought - most of
these cramps are 'nocturnal' when, for most of us, we have good levels. Why do we not get them during the day when we are
'spiking' after meals??

sally wilkins

I'm type 1 & also get bad leg cramps & discomfort in my pelvis area, it can & does keep me awake at night & I dread it in the day as well, but not so often then... I feel for you & wish I knew the answer...!!:)