Less

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Going to try 500 calories a day. Maybe it will help.
Something has to.
Not for weight loss but better blood sugar.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
500 calories a day isn’t a great idea in my opinion, it’s a starvation diet there’s no way you will be getting the nutrition you need long term, I see on another post you have a skin infection, infections don’t just come from high blood sugar they also come from malnutrition. I remember a diet that was very popular in the eighties which was shakes only for many months, a friend of mine did it and she got a really bad infection on her face & arms, her GP was baffled as it wasn’t clearing up no matter what, sent her to a dermatologist who diagnosed malnutrition, her skin was literally peeling off

Please reconsider keeping your calorie intake up, it doesn’t have to be from carbs

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would be forever because there is no cure for diabetes and I've tried everything else.
As said it would be incredibly unwise - you would be starving which would lead to all sorts of other problems.

For about 2-4 years I suffered from malnutrition unknowingly (when I was eating gluten and didn't know I was gluten intolerance) and I ended up with all sorts of annoying skin conditions (some of which I'm sure I've never got rid of, even some 20 years later) and I ended up very very weak from lack of nutrition (think it actually made my diabetes control even worse) - apparently I did look very unwell and and my family were very worried about me (they apparently thought I might have cancer due to what was happening to me , ie very gaunt, no colour in me at all, skin problems, muscle loss etc

• Hug
Reactions: Melgar and cdpm

mouseee

I can't remember if you've said this somewhere but have you also had gastro investigations? With the amount of issues you have with food perhaps there is a gastro problem behind it.
And 500 calories a day is going to be seriously bad for you. I know your choices of food are limited by what you can ear and finances but I can't see going to that extreme can't be helpful.

Reactions: EllieM and cdpm

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be forever because there is no cure for diabetes and I've tried everything else.
You can't live on 500 calories a day *forever*.

I know you have issues, and we're both different, but I recently lost quite a bit of weight to help my diabetes. It's slowed down now, and it helped, but I couldn't manage on maybe three times that amount.

But I agree with others that you should consider other avenues and investigations.

I hope you reconsider.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
With it hurting my stomach to eat and mostly having the runs after and just getting bad bs numbers
and being so bloated-- it's hard to eat even that much and hard to want to eat and then feel all that.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and IanBish

Melgar

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@cdpm you have likely gone down this road already, but have you been tested for food intolerances ? There are some nasty symptoms associated with food intolerances, such as severe stomach cramps, bloating, IBS, alternating constipation and diarrhea and skin conditions. Ed added skin conditions.

Reactions: kim#mimi and cdpm

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know how hard you've said it is for you to see a dr @cdpm but if you haven't had any blood tests done recently I think it's important that these symptoms are investigated.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The thing about going to get this investigated is that
I can't get what they might suggest to eat anyway.
I have to buy what's cheap regardless of how my body reacts. And I'm not interested in more meds. I take more meds than food.
No wonder my tummy hurts.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
I have no idea what is wrong with you but some issues are caused by things like vitamin deficiencies that could be treated easily. Getting a definite diagnosis could really help you.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing about going to get this investigated is that
I can't get what they might suggest to eat anyway.
But you don't know what they will suggest...

I know that you have dental issues, and have a limited income, so off the top of my head I'm thinking of braising, or stewing steak. It's cheap, needs to be cooked for quite a while, maybe in a slow cooker, but it goes really tender and has a lovely flavour. I'm thinking of scrambled eggs, too.

I don't know if you have issues with those foods, but I thought I'd mention them just in case.

Please let us know the results of any investigations you may have.

Reactions: cdpm and kim#mimi
D

Deleted member 532959

Have you considered plant proteins. They can be extremely cheap and nutritious.

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@cdpm you have likely gone down this road already, but have you been tested for food intolerances ? There are some nasty symptoms associated with food intolerances, such as severe stomach cramps, bloating, IBS, alternating constipation and diarrhea and skin conditions. Ed added skin conditions.
No I haven't been to any health care providers about this.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know how hard you've said it is for you to see a dr @cdpm but if you haven't had any blood tests done recently I think it's important that these symptoms are investigated.
The blood work I got done in May was the normal ones for cholesterol, diabetes, electrodes. And whatever others they add.