Type 2 Libre 2 readings

Mscmhs1

Hey guys.

Sorry for my novel-like posts! I don’t seem to know any other way, try as I might!

I’m giving the Libre 2 another go so I can understand a little better the trends to my eating, i.e., what causes bigger spikes etc. I started using it today.

I tried it once before but it was quite soon after diagnosis with type 2 and I didn’t really understand much about managing the condition. Actually, I only really knew that diabetes was due to excess blood sugar and insulin resistance (in its simplistic form).

Due to the pandemic, I never had chance to sit with my GP (as great as she is) to ask questions or figure things out in layman’s terms. It was just a case of getting on with it by myself. Admittedly, I still feel very much in the dark, but am doing as much as possible to educate myself and improve my health.

For context, historic results are below:

Feb 2020 - HBA1C: 53 (7.0%)
Formally diagnosed with type 2 - diet and lifestyle changes recommended without meds.

August 2020 - HBA1C: 48 (6.5%)

February 2021 - HBA1C: 51 (6.8%)

Most recent results are as follows:

01/07/21 - HBA1C: 76 (9.1%)

10/08/21 - HBA1C: 73 (8.8%)

As you can see, there was a huge rise since February and July 2021. This was bitterly disappointing. I’d been trying so hard to cut some of the worst things from my diet but only seemed to be replacing them with worse (before I put a stop to those too!)

About 2 weeks ago, the diabetic nurse told me it was time to start Metformin. At 37, I was so ashamed at myself. I felt I had lost a grip of my health. At first I refused because I already take a life-long medication for a non-related condition and didn’t want to add any more daily meds. I perhaps also thought, arrogantly maybe, that I knew best and could still it by myself still, even though I hadn’t done a good job up to now.

But I eventually agreed to trial 500mg of Metformin daily on the proviso that if, at my next check in 3 months (which I’d perfectly timed to be my birthday week), the HBA1C was nearer to normal range, I’d want to stop.

After picking them up that first prescription, I sat down to take the first tablet and it was then, at that very specific moment, that it dawned on me. The penny dropped. Finally, I grasped the necessity of change and trying to reverse this diabetes once and for all. I don’t know what it was that happened inside me but since then I feel like I’ve had a complete change of mindset.

Every day since, I’ve been out walking - usually either for a minimum of 2 hours or 8 miles - whichever is more and then some more just to be sure!

I’ve completely cut out all the things that put me in this position in the first place: the bread, the fizzy drinks and the fruit juices.

Having always been a very big drinker since I was 14 years of age (now 37), I knocked that on the head completely too! My drinking over the years has caused health concerns of its own, with frequent ‘abnormal’ liver function tests. 15 weeks on, all liver function tests now show as normal!

Since July, I’ve lost 5.1kg (about 11lbs I believe).

Anyway, in my usual long-winded fashion, I wanted to clarify the ‘normal’ ranges. My understanding is that I should be aiming for between 4-7mmol/l generally and after food 8.5mmol/l. Additionally, once I’ve eaten, it shouldn’t rise by more than 2 points? That’s right isn’t it?

I’ve only had the new Libre on a few hours and when I started, the time was about 10.45am. I hadn’t eaten at that point. The first reading I did was 6.9mmol/l.

At about 11am, I had:

150g plain soya
115g blueberries
100g strawberries
15g chia seeds
18g of peanut butter.

My blood sugar rose to about 8.2mmol/l with one reading of 8.6 before quickly coming back down.

It’s now 2pm and the most recent reading is 5.6mmol/l. I’m of the understanding that’s perfect! Please tell me I’m right

When I had the Libre 2 the first time, only around 15/20% of my readings were within range.

I know it’s only been a few hours with this new one but 100% of the readings are all within the green!

I guess the reason I’m cautious and want to double check is because I felt my eating habits were worse when first diagnosed when HBA1C came back between 47-53. The most recent was 73 but my sugars seems more well balanced.

I’ve still got a lot to learn but want to make every effort to help myself. I decided that I wanted to be at least below 48mmol/l by my birthday. What better birthday present could I give myself?

Attachments

• IMG_1630067483.471249.jpg
    IMG_1630067483.471249.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 67

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
The target numbers you quote seem to be the right ones as per guidance given by others.

I suggest don't trust the libre too much out the packet... It is intended foremost for Type 1 diabetics, and so it will tend I think to under-read as opposed to over-read as that is the preferred way to have any error; better to warn of a hypo that isn't quite there than miss one and kill the user. I suggest to test against a normal blood sugar meter and get a feel for how each sensor is behaving so you can mentally adjust the numbers it gives and don't feel betrayed if off. i.e. My first libre was off by 0.6 - 0.8 mmol; the current one by 0.2 - 0.4 mmol. I think some people find it is even further off the mark and from reading I believe mostly in that direction. Some long term users mention to stick the thing in for 24 hours before enabling it with the first reading, to help get it more accurate for its 14 day lifespan.

Everyone is different, but the 6.9 mmol you started with, without having eaten, seems to me perhaps a sign of your liver dumping sugar into your blood stream in the morning first thing. Which is exactly the sort of thing the metformin may help taper the edge off a bit, until your weight loss and diet get it fully under control. I think the healthy attitude to metformin (like any such drug) is to accept the help it gives without thinking that the drug gives you leeway

PS: I'm amused to see you've edited the default range for the green bar to 8.5, same as me. :)

Reactions: EllieM