LOW CARB DIET - A NEWBIES GUIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinnamon

Re: Comments on Low carb diet - a newbies guide

Thanks Fergus,

I'll go for the good fats, avocado, olive oil, some nuts, some yoghurt, turkey lean fat maybe.

Have to exercise more... thanks.

alaric

Hey all. I am new to this so please forgive my ignorance.I'm type 1, my Cholesterol levels have gone up, my HbA1c has gone up, I have put on 1/2 a stone. I do exercise and run as often as I can. I have some how come into the mind set that I need to scoff the carbs prior to going for a run ( an hour b4 usually ) however after reading all of this thread I'm beginning to wonder!. I have a question and would appreciate some guidance. I generally eat a fair bit of of pasta & bread, what on earth do I substitute these things with?. If bread is bad, what do I put on either side of my cheese & ham?. Help!.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

Well Alaric,
I know it's not much use as we approach midwinter, but this summer, I got really into using lettuce leaves instead of bread (and pickled onions/cucumber/radish etc strips).When I couldnd avoid bread I used Low-Carb Bread such as Burgen soya, but cut in half(thinner!) using a slicing machine.

alaric

Thanks Fergus, some good ideas there. I had heard that people use lettuce leaves instead of bread for sandwiches but it was so long ago I thought I had dreamt it or something, but now you've suggested it I'll give it a go. Basically I want to tackle my rising levels as it seems I'm destined to be put on a pump ( Not that my local NHS can afford it ) so before that happens I want to prove that I don't need mechanical help. I have no points of view pro or con regards pumps as I have not had one but I believe my diet is to blame so I need to fix that 1st. Thanks a lot Fergus, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for future suggestions!!!.

T1RMH1985

Can't really speak for T2's but if your T1 my advice regarding carbs is to eat the right sort (ie mainly complex) and quantity for your energy needs whilst at the same time understanding how to adjust your insulin dosages which is why the DAFNE course is so useful.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

T1RMH1985 said:
but if your T1 my advice regarding carbs is to eat the right sort (ie mainly complex) and quantity for your energy needs whilst at the same time understanding how to adjust your insulin dosages which is why the DAFNE course is so useful.

That's quite right, choosing the right carbs and eating a well balanced low-fat diet is the best way of controlling diabetes and to meet your nutritional needs, that said I have found that lowering my carb intake (average 120g a day from 200 plus) has helped alongside eating the right sort of carbs. The DAFNE course is fantastic and its very rare to hear of anyone who has not had a positive experience and outcome from it.

Nigel

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

alaric said:
Hey all. I am new to this so please forgive my ignorance.I'm type 1, my Cholesterol levels have gone up, my HbA1c has gone up, I have put on 1/2 a stone. I do exercise and run as often as I can. I have some how come into the mind set that I need to scoff the carbs prior to going for a run ( an hour b4 usually ) however after reading all of this thread I'm beginning to wonder!. I have a question and would appreciate some guidance. I generally eat a fair bit of of pasta & bread, what on earth do I substitute these things with?. If bread is bad, what do I put on either side of my cheese & ham?. Help!.

Just passing by during a search and saw this.

What you can do is roll your cheese in the slice of ham.
This makes a nice protein snack.

8)

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

I have been trying to low carb the past couple of weeks to get some more weight off and the information on this thread and others has proved invaluable. Especially Fergus' original thread......Thank you very much.

Could someone tell me how to add a ticker and the information some people have regarding their latest results at the end of their posts? I am not technical!!

I have purchased the books and scales recommended and have been aiming for 90 - 100g carbs a day. I have started walking round the block most mornings and plan on swimming three times a week from next week. I am also tinkling loads... is that normal? and does that last always or will it settle once I have done this low carbing for a while? I am off to the beach hut with seven girlfriends for our annual jolly and am rather concerend at what might be my hourly jolly along the beach!

Clairy x

ropelock

I have seen several requests for help on counting calories and carbs on this forum. By far the easiest and best I have found is www.foodfocus.co.uk. You sign up (free), enter your current weight, height, age, lifestyle and weight loss target (if required). They have a good database of foods including UK supermarket meals. You can also enter foods straight off the data on the packet, create whole meals, and build up a list of favourites for quick reference (Tip - sort by category!). Finally you can enter daily exercise/activity as well. Counts calories, carbs, fat and protein for each meal, and works out averages and graphs for various periods. I have been using it for nearly a year for weight loss (3 1/2 st) and low-carbing for 6 months - HbA1c down from 5.5 to 4 and fasting BG down from 8 - 12 to 5 - 6.

Type 2 for 15 years
2 g metformin daily

lesleyc

Hi I have recently been diagnosed as diabetic type 2 but at a level "controlled by diet".
I am a 55yr old woman who is disabled and so get little exercise I am 5'6" and weigh 15st3 lbs so am obese.a friend (an ear nose and throat surgeon) gave me Dr bernsteins book 'diabetes solution' which suggests eg a meal plan of
Breakfast 6gCHO ,3oz protein
Lunch 12g CHO,4oz protein
Supper 12g CHO, 5oz protein
No fruit, no root veg, no bread etc
Has any type 2 diabetic had good results with such a strict regime?

Grazer

You'll get loads of replies to this! There are some ardent fans of Bernstein and some ardent enemies! Interesting that your doc recommended it.
In short, though, many of us (like me) who are on diet control only accept that the only way to lower blood sugar is to reduce the amount of carbs you eat. To what extent (Bernstein levels or higher) depends on the individual! Also the TYPE of carbs, low GI ones (so no starchy carbs, or few of them) It definitely results in weight loss as well. I'd say give it a go and see how you get on. Ignore detractors - you can always stop it if it doesn't work for you.
Good luck

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

Yes. I agree with Grazer.

If you can do the 30g of carbs a day thing, then you'll probably sort out your BG levels (and shift a lot of weight) in double quick time. I stuck to this for my first 3 months and dropped my HbA1c from 10.2% to 5.2% in one go.

It isn't easy, and it hurts a bit to start with (as you go a bit "cold turkey" from having normalish BG levels). But once you have your BG levels under control, then you can start to experiment and adding some carbs back in till you get a comfortable level (I do about 40-50g most days). Ultimately you need to find out what works for you.

There are other approaches, but this one is conceptually the simplest and probably the most immediately effective. It's a bit of a "fundamentalist" approach, but you'll learn exactly what the carb content of all the food you eat is, and the carbs that you do add back, will taste much better for it in the end.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about cutting the fruit out all together, just include it in your carb count. Berries and great lowish carb fruits, and having the occaisional apple is always going to be better than eating a couple of slices of toast.

Good luck, and well done for finding such a progressive Doctor.

johnts

After i finish my Newcastle study Im going to adhere to lo carb diets never really understood before the outcome of carbs and calories. Got to say this site has been a good valuable source of info that has and will turn my life around

magicaldebs

Thank you all so much for your help with is.
I have been on and off a low carb diet since I was diagnosed with Type 2 five years ago. I know that my Diabetis is more stable on a low carb diet, but I keep getting way laid by the advice given to me by my GP. I have had an awful summer with a raging BS which just will not settle, despite an increase in medication. I have been back on a very low carb Atkins type diet for a couple of days and already my BS has settled. It was 6.6 fasting this morning, which is fabulous, it's been an average of 9.6 for the past few months.
My question is: I have had a sharp increase in medication, do I continue taking the meds as prescribed even though my diet is bringing down my BS? My BS was 5.2 in the day yesterday, I don't want to go too low.
Debs

Grazer

magicaldebs said:
Thank you all so much for your help with is.
I have been on and off a low carb diet since I was diagnosed with Type 2 five years ago. I know that my Diabetis is more stable on a low carb diet, but I keep getting way laid by the advice given to me by my GP. I have had an awful summer with a raging BS which just will not settle, despite an increase in medication. I have been back on a very low carb Atkins type diet for a couple of days and already my BS has settled. It was 6.6 fasting this morning, which is fabulous, it's been an average of 9.6 for the past few months.
My question is: I have had a sharp increase in medication, do I continue taking the meds as prescribed even though my diet is bringing down my BS? My BS was 5.2 in the day yesterday, I don't want to go too low.
Debs

Don't know what meds you're on, but if it's just metformin I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem to reduce the dose and check BGs to see what happens. You should really talk to your doctor first however; you can be firm and say you WANT to reduce meds and use diet to help with control.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Lesleyc, you could have a look at the diet I use, Viv's Modified Atkins Diet, which is a sticky thread at the top of this forum. All you have to do is stick to the foods and quantities listed on that, and you will get less than 30g carb a day.

I had a look at Bernstein but it seems a bit complicated (to me! :lol: ), whereas with the Atkins it's all done for you.

There are alternatives to low-carb (have a read around) and it doesn't suit everyone, but it works for me. I've lost 4 stones in 18 months, my blood glucose is well under control (last HbA1c 5.2) and my blood pressure and blood lipid profile are very acceptable.

I can't exercise much, or I think my weight loss would have been a little faster, but slow and steady does it! Good luck - let us know how you get on!

Viv 8)

magicaldebs

Further to my question below. I have been sticking to a low carb diet for the past few days which has really lowered my BS, but I'm concerned about my medications and how the diet will effect my need for them. I take 4 Metformin SR a day and one Stagliptin 100mgs a day.
I am due to take 2 Metformin, but I've just taken my BS and it's only 1.3. I'm not sure what to do now. I have eaten a low carb meal to bring my BS up a bit. I don't want to have anything sweet as I am trying to break my carb habit. I feel great.
Debs

Grazer

1.3 is really low. I don't know about stagliptin. Think you should discuss your diet and meds with the doc tomorrow. Meanwhile treat yourself to a nice snack! I'd leave the metformin out for now. Won't do any harm till tomorrow and you don't want to go any lower.

magicaldebs

Thanks Grazer
My BS has come up a bit now but I think that I will speak to my GP in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.