LOW CARB DIET - A NEWBIES GUIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abby_don

Re: Comments on Low carb diet - a newbies guide

Good idea to see your doctor Debs. It's important for anyone trying a low carb diet for the first time to understand what happens especially if you are on hypo inducing drugs. Low carbing drops your BG levels quickly and can catch you out and make you hypo.

dbfisher

A really good source on info is 'The Diabetes Revolution' by Professor Clarke. It outlines what has been said in the newbies guide and explains more how it can be achieved. The book's diet plan itself is a bit odd and where I'm from, considered posh foods. The main point is the danger category foods such as the Potatoes, bread, Rice and pasta. Also particular foods such as parsnip, bananas and mangoes. Plenty of the unrestricted fresh vegetables work well enough. Follow the rules about what you can eat without restrictions, Apply the restrictions to those applicable foods and don't eat those that are prohibited. Some of those foods can be introduced back into the diet in small portions once you get to the maintenance phase. I have found it is more about being strict and rigid in what you don't eat rather than worry about what you are eating. Make a vow to yourself never again to eat a bought ready meal no matter how convenient they are. You should then see huge improvements in weight and blood sugar control. Unless you are an olympic athlete, you will be able to find enough the Carbs in the likes of fresh vegetables that naturally have all the nutrients without the need for the overloading with high concentrations of carbs that modern trends seem to infer.

Defren

Today is my first full day since diagnosis. I found a carb counter on-line and have been pleasantly surprised by how low some foods are. For dinner tonight I had a large plate of veg and a gammon steak with a little pineapple that gave me a little bit of sweetness I was craving. I had a 2 egg, cheese and ham omelette for breakfast, so if my calculations are right, have only had around 36 carbs today. I missed out on lunch, as at the moment I am sill suffering terrible fatigue, and slept through lunch. :D I can say in all honesty, I feel completely full, and happy this is not going to be quite as bad as I first feared. I was quite shocked at how high in carbs sprouts are, they are one of my favourite veg :cry:

I was quite shocked at how high in carbs sprouts are, they are one of my favourite veg

Brussel sprouts 3.5 grams of carb per 100 grams. Beansprouts 4 grams per hundred grams. Both very low carb. Tuck in.

Defren

Wallycorkers_ghost said:
I was quite shocked at how high in carbs sprouts are, they are one of my favourite veg

Brussel sprouts 3.5 grams of carb per 100 grams. Beansprouts 4 grams per hundred grams. Both very low carb. Tuck in.

Oh wow thank you, the site I took my levels from had sprouts at 15 grams of carbs per 100 grams. That makes today's carb intake even lower :clap:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Does it matter when and how you have your daily carbs?

I typically have around 15g for breakfast, 65g at lunch and another 15g at tea time. The rest (approx 10) are in my cups of tea and i cup of coffee with sugar a day.

Does this sound OK? I havent started testing yet. A combination of cowardice, confusion and not wanting to go against what the practice nurse said. She was adamant that testing is bad for me and will make me obsessive and even more depressed.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

lucylocket61 said:
She was adamant that testing is bad for me and will make me obsessive and even more depressed.

I think that the reverse is true. Knowing that you are getting your diabetes under control, without having to rely on other people's bad advice, is very liberating.

I never worry about diabetes, because I know for sure that mine is under control.

shirty252

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Been struggling to control blood sugar levels,I work nights permanently as a truck Driver so its very important for me to get control,I'm looking at low carb diet before doctors add more tablets to the 3000mg of metforming I'm on already my blood sugars vary from 5 to 18 just had my three monthly check & still at 8 any good diet books or web sites on low carb diets would be appreciated

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

lucylocket61 said:
Does it matter when and how you have your daily carbs?

I typically have around 15g for breakfast, 65g at lunch and another 15g at tea time. The rest (approx 10) are in my cups of tea and i cup of coffee with sugar a day.

Does this sound OK? I havent started testing yet.

Sorry but only testing can tell you if this regime is OK for you, what works for me or someone else probably wont work for you so you have to find out what is right for you and the only way to do that is to test before eating to get a base figure and 2 hours after to see if your bg is returning towards your pre meal levels.

Good luck when you get your new meter :thumbup:

The Diabetes UK Event I attended yesterday was very encouraging, both the DUK employees there were pro testing and were keen for test strip access for those T2 who wish to be pro active. But to change the current NHS attitude is going to be hard work in this economic climate I fear.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

Sid, any chance of a bit more info about the event?

I'm hoping to get to the one near me but hate walking into something if I don't have a rough idea what is going to happen!

No measuring of waists or any of that malarkey is there? :oops:

Helenababe

I heard a few weeks ago when these E petitions were briefly dealt with, that there has to be 100,000 sigs before the Government will accept them?

Helena

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Yes, you're right. Even if these various petitions were put together they would probably not reach the 100,000 unfortunately.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thes e=petitions are a con by the government. Look what happened to the NHS one. They got over 170,000 signatures, well abortive the amount needed for a debate. And the government decided not to debate it. Because there is nothing to make them debate it no matter how many people sign.

Until it is enforceable to make the government debate e-petition signatures, they can ignore us.

By the same token, the only thing which will make a difference in an Election is to make the Manifesto pledges enforceable by law. Then, and only then, might we get what we vote for.

C

catherinecherub

If an e-petition is a national one, it needs 100.000 signatures. If it is regional then it needs 10,000.

If you manage to get the required number, it means it will be put forward for debate but that does not mean that people will get the outcome that they are petitioning for.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It doesnt mean you get a debate either. :evil:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

ladybird64 said:
Sid, any chance of a bit more info about the event?

I've started a new thread so as not to lead this one off topic. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=27755 :thumbup:

Edited 1 time to include link to Diabetes Event

Christinelh

Dislikes
Housework Swearing Poor manners soaps on tv

Saw my consultant on Friday and he changed my ratios and said I can have no carb meals which means no insulin hurrah I have been having hypos for three weeks as on a higher dose dose still the same target levels altered to 4 - 8 to stop the hypos I have the Accu check expert immediate difference I would like to have a carb. free meal while I am working starting from tomorrow or Tuesday any suggestions I have a long drive to and from work so do not want hypos either help required please also do not want to get hungry

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

ShyGirl said:
I have two silly questions as i'm rethinking my diet to see if I can make further carb cuts.
I usually use Olive Oil spray if I cook but is it good?
Also ,i'm really confused about yoghurts after noticing the one I usually eat- Tesco Greek yoghurt- has more carbs than the low fat greek yoghurt and the Tesco' everyday natural yoghurt.
Is it down to personal choice which yoghurt to eat , or does one brand/type stand out?

Don't worry about fat when cooking, olive oil is fine (although steer away from vegetable and seed oils). Personally I'd use proper amounts rather than a spray.

The Greek Yoghurt might not be as bad as you think. As long as it is pro-biotic, then the bacteria consume around half the listed carbohydrate. That's obviously not true for any sweetened or non pro-biotic yoghurt.

Defren

borofergie said:
ShyGirl said:
I have two silly questions as i'm rethinking my diet to see if I can make further carb cuts.
I usually use Olive Oil spray if I cook but is it good?
Also ,i'm really confused about yoghurts after noticing the one I usually eat- Tesco Greek yoghurt- has more carbs than the low fat greek yoghurt and the Tesco' everyday natural yoghurt.
Is it down to personal choice which yoghurt to eat , or does one brand/type stand out?

Don't worry about fat when cooking, olive oil is fine (although steer away from vegetable and seed oils). Personally I'd use proper amounts rather than a spray.

The Greek Yoghurt might not be as bad as you think. As long as it is pro-biotic, then the bacteria consume around half the listed carbohydrate. That's obviously not true for any sweetened or non pro-biotic yoghurt.

I use an olive oil spray for the rest of the family, but for me, I use avocado oil and quite liberally as well. While I am low carb they are not, lower than we all used to be, but they do eat carbs, so I feel better using less oil and fats for them.

Shygirl don't be afraid of fats, so long as they are healthy fats. We need to fuel our bodies with something, if not carbs, fats is the best way and it keeps you satiated longer, so you eat less. Healthy fats are good for us, this is a lesson I am still learning as I do tip the oil bottle or slather the cream. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.