Low-Carb Diets – What Is Missing?

Hobnoblin

ally5555 said:
No - I did not it I was just interested!

There is somewhat of a paradox though Ally. Low carb goes against much of the accepted dietetic wisdom, so analyzing low carb diets against those constraints is always going to spring up deficiencies. Low carb doesn't follow 'the rules'. I'm not trying to be inflammatory by the way. I saw a dietitian a couple of times but stopped because she would not accept what I was doing was working for me. I was benefiting from amazing health benefits, yet despite that she wanted me to base my diet on 45-60% carb. From that point of view my diet would have been deficient in many aspects for her. Yet had I followed her 'balanced' diet it would have been a disaster as far as my diabetes is concerned. I'm not knocking HCPs, my doc is brilliant and insists I aim for non diabetic numbers and balks at the NICE guidelines and my diabetic nurse is wonderful too. I just think that low carbers and dietitians will always be at odds whilst the medical world concentrate on fat as the problem.

ally5555

HCP are not all numpties by the way ED some of us are educated and nice people who may not believe in low carbing per se but will guide people in order to correct any deficiencies that may arise.

jopar

Hobnoblin said:
jopar said:
Whats missing

Taste, varity and texture oh and interest..

None of these things are missing in a low carb diet. Most starchy carbs need an awful amount of seasoning to taste good. Ever tried to eat an unsalted boiled potato? You just need to take time to invest a little in yourself. Learning to cook well is a pleasure not a chore.I eat whole foods almost exclusively, bar the odd occasion, it just tastes better than processed packaged carb rubbish.

As a T2 you have a choice, reduce your carbs or increase medication. Whatever you do is up to you, and in no way am I passing judgement. If I HAD to use insulin I might think differently about starchy carbs, I probably would be tempted to eat more and cover it with the insulin, but then I wouldn't be reaping the benefits of a low carb diet. I've been successfully low carbing for over 5 years now. My highest Hba1C during this time has been 5.8, mostly it's in the low 5s. I've lost over 9 stone in weight and feel fantastic. Oh and I'm still totally medication free.

I do understand that it's not for everyone but what I can't understand is people who seem obsessed by rubbishing it at every opportunity. If it's not for you fine but don't deny other the chance to try it and reap the benefits I have.

I hate to tell you I am a qualified chef :lol: :lol: So my cooking skills aren't a problem

And even as a qualified Chef I would find it difficult to provide constant interest in providing enough verity of taste and texture on such limited ingredients!

Hence why I know that a lot of people who say they exteme low carb are eating a lot more carbs than they do Milgold bullion contains carbs! and potatoe startch as well!!!

Saying that I've devised and been responsible ensuring different diets are being catered for, such as Huntingtons, Coelic, renal failure, Alzhiemers and other dementia's (there's about 96 different dementia's in all) then more basic diets, such as diabetic, weight reductions and diets for allergies... I was answerable to several other bodies apart from the company I worked for and yes I have had Care Standards combe through my indiviudal diets/recipe's and menu plan's to ensure that nurtional needs were met and that those on the recieving end of them not only enjoyed them, weren't malnurished and it was condusive to their health etc!

Hobnoblin

I find it amazing that a chef couldn't cook interesting meals without the starchy carbs. :|

Do you suppose people who low carb don't read labels?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
jopar said:
Whats missing

Taste, varity and texture oh and interest..

Not if you have more than minimal cookery skills. A good cook can usually supply taste, variety , texture and interest. all it requires is imagination.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is not much taste in spuds rice and pasta on their own anyway.
Whatever I put on those things in my pre DB days I can now put on other veg ,just needs a bit of imagination which makes life interesting.
CAROL

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Anyone may be able to make any food taste the good but nothing can never replace the taste or texture of things that one used to eat before diagnoses.

When forced to stop eating foods like potatos by diabetes (or other illnesses), rice and pasta then one has less of a variety as well.

As for losing interest, that depends on the taste of the individual.

I've ready many times in different forum that those diabetics or non-diabetics who chose to cut out potatos, rice and pasta from their diet lost interest and "fell off the wagon" because they could not find any substitute to replace the variety, texture and the taste of what they gave up.

We eat a lot of cauliflower, aubergines etc., make cauliflower "shepherds pie", it tastes good but does it taste the same as the original shepherds pie with potatos? No, it's a completely different taste. Same goes for moussaka, different taste using different ingredients.

Is it possible to make a cheese sandwich or chicken & salad without bread? I don't think so.

jopar

carty said:
Whatever I put on those things in my pre DB days I can now put on other veg ,just needs a bit of imagination which makes life interesting.
CAROL

You're right there isn't much taste when served on their own hence but a bit of imagination you can do a lot with them to make them interesting, but with anything there is a limit to what one can do with them, I don't actually particularly like the spud unless it's roasted in beef dripping, with garlic, taragon etc...

I have quite a diverse range of cooking that I do, and a lot of meals that I do prepare don't have starchy carbs even though some make try to make it sound otherwise..

But do me trying to turn cauliflower into rice is akin to a veggi susage don't matter what you do it aint rice nor is it a susage!

pianoman

carty said:
Imagination... exactly! :)

My apology if this was previously posted but I wanted to suggest an "all dressed" baked potato alternative: scoop out a baked potato skin then put in some grated cheese and crispy bacon bits, melt and brown the cheese under a grill, then serve with sour cream, avocado and chives -- all the taste with much less starch :D

NewdestinyX

Ka-Mon said:
Anyone may be able to make any food taste the good but nothing can never replace the taste or texture of things that one used to eat before diagnoses.

When forced to stop eating foods like potatos by diabetes (or other illnesses), rice and pasta then one has less of a variety as well.

I've ready many times in different forum that those diabetics or non-diabetics who chose to cut out potatos, rice and pasta from their diet lost interest and "fell off the wagon" because they could not find any substitute to replace the variety, texture and the taste of what they gave up.

We eat a lot of cauliflower, aubergines etc., make cauliflower "shepherds pie", it tastes good but does it taste the same as the original shepherds pie with potatos? No, it's a completely different taste. Same goes for moussaka, different taste using different ingredients.
Yes, KaMon - that's the crux of the issue for 'many' of us.

LowER carbing, at some level, is a must for 'all diabetics' -as I don't think that there are many of us that still eat 300g of carbs a day or more as is the 'daily recommended intake' for 'normal people'. So to some degree - the truth is 'we ALL' lower carb - to some degree. BUT -- the texture thing is 'everything'. And though I never ate rice - never liked it - pasta and potato and grains and pretzels were all my favorites. I'm very fortunate that potato products, even from day 1 of dx, have never spiked me. I don't know 'how' that's so -- but it is and so I've been spared a total give up there. NOW -- I can't go crazy on portion - but I don't have to give it up. Potatos are still a starch and full of glucose so it still befuddles me as to how I don't get the spike.

But all these 'replacements' for carby favorite foods don't do anything for me for the most part. And even though I've gotten used to many other 'newer' diabetic friendly foods - I'm still glad for my 'cheat days' on Fridays and when I go to family night at my daughter's on MOn nights and eat whatever she serves regardless of carb content. The most important thing I've learned since this whole roller coaster ride started is 'moderation'. I was 'addicted' to eating/food for 45 years. And now I can eat a 'bite' of this or that and never crave any more. I can have 'pancakes' once a week and never desire them any other day - and if I miss a week - I don't miss it. Some people can never go back to certain foods - for fear of constant off wagon falls. I feel for them but I don't fear that a bit- because I let myself eat 'moderately' - which in some ways, in my opinion, is an even harder level of discipline to learn than simply 'never returning' to certain foods. No judgment intended just a personal observation in my own life.

But please tell me do any of you know of a 'pretzel-like' salty snack substitute to prezel rods? They were such a favorite of mine... and that 'hard crunch' is something I 'sooooo miss'.... :cry:

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
NewdestinyX said:
Ka-Mon said:

Yes, KaMon - that's the crux of the issue for 'many' of us.

LowER carbing, at some level, is a must for 'all diabetics' -as I don't think that there are many of us that still eat 300g of carbs a day or more as is the 'daily recommended intake' for 'normal people'. So to some degree - the truth is 'we ALL' lower carb - to some degree. BUT -- the texture thing is 'everything'. And though I never ate rice - never liked it - pasta and potato and grains and pretzels were all my favorites. I'm very fortunate that potato products, even from day 1 of dx, have never spiked me. I don't know 'how' that's so -- but it is and so I've been spared a total give up there. NOW -- I can't go crazy on portion - but I don't have to give it up. Potatos are still a starch and full of glucose so it still befuddles me as to how I don't get the spike.

But all these 'replacements' for carby favorite foods don't do anything for me for the most part. And even though I've gotten used to many other 'newer' diabetic friendly foods - I'm still glad for my 'cheat days' on Fridays and when I go to family night at my daughter's on MOn nights and eat whatever she serves regardless of carb content. The most important thing I've learned since this whole roller coaster ride started is 'moderation'. I was 'addicted' to eating/food for 45 years. And now I can eat a 'bite' of this or that and never crave any more. I can have 'pancakes' once a week and never desire them any other day - and if I miss a week - I don't miss it. Some people can never go back to certain foods - for fear of constant off wagon falls. I feel for them but I don't fear that a bit- because I let myself eat 'moderately' - which in some ways, in my opinion, is an even harder level of discipline to learn than simply 'never returning' to certain foods. No judgment intended just a personal observation in my own life.

Well, it seems that we have something in common after all...."moderation". I eat anything, anytime when I want, I just make sure I don't eat more than my body can handle, as they say...simples.

But please tell me do any of you know of a 'pretzel-like' salty snack substitute to prezel rods? They were such a favorite of mine... and that 'hard crunch' is something I 'sooooo miss'.... :cry:

How about salty carrots? Uncooked, you have both the salt and the crunchiness but in moderation of course. Might taste a little different though. (It's a joke by the way)

NewdestinyX

Ka-Mon said:
How about salty carrots? Uncooked, you have both the salt and the crunchiness but in moderation of course. Might taste a little different though. (It's a joke by the way)
Thanks, but, you're joking - right? Salty carrots don't even come CLOSE to a pretzel rod. Yes - crunch is important but the texture and 'flavor' isn't even close. Carrots don't 'dissolve' into a 'paste' in your mouth - just smaller bits. I mean I LOVE carrots and salt or peanut butter - but.. Lightly salted almonds get CLOSE to the texture of the pretzel rods - but....

Thanks!

minitata

Sid Bonkers said:
PastaShape said:
I think the point of the thread was to raise awareness to the wonderful properties of broccilli versus the high starch bg raising potatoes. :)

I eat potatoes, rice, bread and other carby foods every day and they dont raise my bg levels in the amounts that I eat them in so why would I need my awareness raised? My meter does that for me rather well thanks :D

[mod edit] Perhaps others need their awareness raised - people like me, newbies, people for whom restricting starchy carbs is a new idea. People who can put weight on with 1000 calories if they include a lot of starchy carbs,

[mod edit]

Just asking :D
MTT

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
minitata said:
Sid Bonkers said:
PastaShape said:
I think the point of the thread was to raise awareness to the wonderful properties of broccilli versus the high starch bg raising potatoes. :)

I eat potatoes, rice, bread and other carby foods every day and they dont raise my bg levels in the amounts that I eat them in so why would I need my awareness raised? My meter does that for me rather well thanks :D

[mod edit] Perhaps others need their awareness raised - people like me, newbies, people for whom restricting starchy carbs is a new idea. People who can put weight on with 1000 calories if they include a lot of starchy carbs,

[mod edit]

Just asking :D
MTT

[mod edit]

Get yourself a meter and find out what you can eat safely and dont worry about what others tell you they can eat, thats the best advice :thumbup:

[mod edit]

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Sid Bonkers said:
Get yourself a meter and find out what you can eat safely and dont worry about what others tell you they can eat, thats the best advice :thumbup:

+1 That's the best possible advice for any T2 diabetic.