Low-Carb Diets – What Is Missing?

Wrunkelt

Over the years, the possibility of scurvy, osteoporosis, constipation, etc, from following a low-carb diet has been raised. It is interesting to try to find what is missing in following a low carb diet. Perhaps the simplest way of doing this is to consider an identical meal (identical in portions of meat/fish etc.) in which the high-carb food type (potato, pasta rice, bread, fruit, etc.) is replaced by a low-carb food type (or more likely a combination of low-carb food types).

In the following example 100g of new potatoes boiled in unsalted water is replaced with 100g of broccoli boiled in unsalted water. Reference 1 indicates the vitamin and mineral content for some of the more important dietary elements. It can be shown that that broccoli in 13 out of 18 - (Vitamins: A, B2, B3, B12, Folic Acid, C, D and E; Minerals: Calcium, Iron,Magnesium and Zinc; Dietary Fibre) of the important dietary elements has a greater or equal amount of the element. In those instances where potato has a greater or equal amount of the dietary element (Vitamins: B1, B5 and B6; Minerals: Potassium and Selenium) the deficit in dietary element is easily made up with side-dishes made up of combinations of one or more of celery, courgette, radish, cauliflower, or mushroom.

It is interesting to consider the possibility of scurvy, osteoporosis, and constipation.

Broccoli contains almost 5 times as much vitamin C as potato.
Broccoli contains 8 times as much calcium as potato.
Broccoli contains almost 2.5 times as much dietary fibre as potato.

Unless an increase in vitamin C, calcium and dietary fibre increases the respective possibility of scurvy, osteoporosis, and constipation, it seems reasonable to conclude that the replacement of potato by broccoli (or numerous other nutrient rich vegetables) provides a viable dietary strategy for the diabetic.

Reference 1: http://www.food.gov.uk/science/dietarysurveys/dietsurveys/

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
1 medium baked potato contains the following...

Potassium - 108 mg
Phosphorus - 21 mg
Magnesium - 17 mg
Calcium - 37 mg
Iron - 1.36 mg
Sodium - 12 mg
Zinc - 0.07 mg
Copper - 0.077 mg
Manganese - 0.306 mg
Selenium - 0.6 mcg
Also contains small amounts of other minerals.

Vitamin C - 5.2 mg
Niacin - 0.248 mg
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.032 mg
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.025 mg
Vitamin B6 - 0.14 mg
Folate - 30 mcg
Pantothenic Acid - 0.089 mg
Vitamin A - 1007 IU
Vitamin K - 31.5 mcg
Vitamin E - 0.62 mg and also small qtys of other vits...

Half a cup of brocolli contains:

Potassium - 229 mg
Phosphorus - 52 mg
Calcium - 31 mg
Sodium - 32 mg
Magnesium - 16 mg
Iron - 0.52 mg
Zinc - 0.35 mg
Copper - 0.048 mg
Manganese - 0.151 mg
Selenium - 1.2 mcg
Also contains small amounts of other minerals.

Vitamin A - 1207 IU
Vitamin C - 50.6 mg
Niacin - 0.431 mg
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.049 mg
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.096 mg
Vitamin B6 - 0.156 mg
Pantothenic Acid - 0.48 mg
Folate - 84 mcg
Vitamin K - 110 mcg
Vitamin E - 1.13 mg
Contains some other vitamins in small amounts

All veg and pasta etc contains differing amounts of vits and minerals....I think it is most important that each of us just get a balnce that suits us as individuals.

if we eat too much of anything..or too litle then our bodies are going to get imbalances such as putting on weight,unable to put on weight, etc.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Strange first and second posts from you! :?

I'm afraid your preaching to the converted here, we already know the benefits of a well balanced diet including ample fruit and vegetables! :D

Nigel

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know Nigel...a balanced diet is what is needed....wherever you get fibre, vits and minerals from it needs to be balanced...end of story.....

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Strawman argument we eat meals, not single items .
If you really want a full answer to this look at the Primal Wisdom blog dated today where 2 diets are analysed in full. Also look at the nutritional info for the 3 stages of Atkins here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15445&hilit=Atkins&start=30
(p 3)
Ulterior motive to this post ? Why is there no attribution to the original source of this ? I suppose it might not be needed if it's the original author.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I would say in my own personal case low fat as well as low carbs is far better. Much more to my liking. I agree that what we all need is a balanced diet, I wouldn't call a surfeit of Broccoli instead of some small New potatoes is MY idea of fun ......I eat many more Veg as all of us should whatever methods we use
Broccoli is NOT my favourite Veg !! :(

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Wrunkelt said:
Over the years, the possibility of scurvy, osteoporosis, constipation, etc, from following a low-carb diet has been raised. It is interesting to try to find what is missing in following a low carb diet. Perhaps the simplest way of doing this is to consider an identical meal (identical in portions of meat/fish etc.) in which the high-carb food type (potato, pasta rice, bread, fruit, etc.) is replaced by a low-carb food type (or more likely a combination of low-carb food types).

In the following example 100g of new potatoes boiled in unsalted water is replaced with 100g of broccoli boiled in unsalted water. Reference 1 indicates the vitamin and mineral content for some of the more important dietary elements. It can be shown that that broccoli in 13 out of 18 - (Vitamins: A, B2, B3, B12, Folic Acid, C, D and E; Minerals: Calcium, Iron,Magnesium and Zinc; Dietary Fibre) of the important dietary elements has a greater or equal amount of the element. In those instances where potato has a greater or equal amount of the dietary element (Vitamins: B1, B5 and B6; Minerals: Potassium and Selenium) the deficit in dietary element is easily made up with side-dishes made up of combinations of one or more of celery, courgette, radish, cauliflower, or mushroom.

It is interesting to consider the possibility of scurvy, osteoporosis, and constipation.

Broccoli contains almost 5 times as much vitamin C as potato.
Broccoli contains 8 times as much calcium as potato.
Broccoli contains almost 2.5 times as much dietary fibre as potato.

Unless an increase in vitamin C, calcium and dietary fibre increases the respective possibility of scurvy, osteoporosis, and constipation, it seems reasonable to conclude that the replacement of potato by broccoli (or numerous other nutrient rich vegetables) provides a viable dietary strategy for the diabetic.

Reference 1: http://www.food.gov.uk/science/dietarys ... etsurveys/

I've read what you've written above somewhere on a blog but where was it now? Just can't seem to remember!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ka mon.

Maybe you do low fat.....that would explain it......... :wink:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Can't we agree that we can all gain living with diabetes that is suitable to us?

I agree with lower carbing, I agree with lower fat's and healthy ones...we just have to get what suits our own bodies...what is good for one person isn't good for another....I think many of us should be grateful that we haven't got such diseases as ulcerative colitis, gluten free, wheat free diets etc.......

Me personally, I just think that the introduction of so many processed foods and preservatives and E numbers in todays diets has changed our bodies abilities to deal with healthy living. I just try to eat as much unprocessed foods as I can....as much homegrown fruit and veg as I can with a balance of treats..

I wish someone else would just come along and say that they eat unprocessed foods as much as I do and start a different debate as to whether processed or unprocessed foods are better for our healths!!!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Perhaps Wrunkelt can give his opinions on what he believes about diets of processed, premade, E-numbered meals compared to fresh food meals.....???

Why the concentration on Low Carbs Wrunkelt????

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
cugila said:
Ka mon.

Maybe you do low fat.....that would explain it......... :wink:

Yes, I do low fat, very much low fat but that about all. I eat a well balanced diet that includes everything in small portions so that my BG's stay in normal levels.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
PastaShape said:
What is missing. High bg numbers. Diabetic complications and lots of medication. :)

Yes........if you take a good look around this Forum there are many members here who use other methods who achieve exactly the same results. We are all different ! :D

Wrunkelt, if this is the real he, was always an excellent challenging poster elsewhere. I seem to recall he was banned though, shame that.....he could be relied on to have a good discussion..... :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Whats missing....................

I would say a point to this thread
zzz.gif

PastaShape

Dislikes
DIABETES
I think the point of the thread was to raise awareness to the wonderful properties of broccilli versus the high starch bg raising potatoes. :)

PastaShape

Dislikes
DIABETES
"The word credulity springs to mind."

I think if you check the science stacks up. Broccilli is a very high quality food versus potatoe in so many ways. :)

C

catherinecherub

So why can't we have broccoli and spuds? Is there a law against it? We are talking about less than 4oz of broccoli here and I eat more than that anyway.