Low carb; how many?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I do agree but I do think over the last few decades we have gone to the extreme , I have just been on holiday to the peeks with an old school friend and will say I was disgusted at the amounts he ate 200 carbs in one sitting and he does seem to have the symptons of type one but you try and tell him , No chance !

Well if he has type 1 he'll find out soon enough. As for being disgusted, well that's up to him surely? Nobody elses business really.

Reactions: HSSS and zand

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you test your blood sugar after eating the lentil soup or sausage roll?
It’s not always about the total number.
Spikes in blood sugar will indicate that it’s too many carbs.

I thought it was a sausage in a blanket, isn't that wrapped in bacon?

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Do you test your blood sugar after eating the lentil soup or sausage roll?
It’s not always about the total number.
Spikes in blood sugar will indicate that it’s too many carbs.
Yes the soup is fine. I don’t eat the sausage as in a roll - just on its own and that’s fine. I think the only carbs I eat are probably the nimble bread in the morning then the odd few in other low things. X

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought it was a sausage in a blanket, isn't that wrapped in bacon?
Sausage rolls are sausages wrapped in pastry, not bacon.

Edit: for the lack of a sausages in my post.

Last edited:

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
for some people, even a few carbs are considered by them to be too many. Ignore them and carry on, you are doing nothing wrong.
Thank you. For my picky eating habits if I dropped any more carbs I would b dead from malnutrition. Lol. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Sausage rolls are wrapped in pastry, not bacon.
Yes. Just a sausage wrapped in bacon from our rotisserie at work £1.10!! Daylight robbery. I’d love a sausage roll but sadly not had one for years. X

Reactions: lucylocket61

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Yeah same as me. My stomach is huge. My arms and legs very skinny. Do you think you eat very much? On a typical day I will have - one slice nimble bread toast b/f. Lunch Mayb a large pig in blanket from our Rotisserie at work and raspberries and then dinner ww lentil soup with Mayb peppers and coleslaw for a side. All with a cold diet drink. I find it very hard Coby as I am such a picky eater. But my weight still doesn’t drop off as quickly as I thought it would. Perhaps you would share a days meal plan for you. X.
A typical day (now) would be either Greek yogurt with blueberries, Pumpkin, Chia and Flax seed mix (2 dessertspoons), plus a drizzle of double cream, OR 2 tablespoons no sugar Alpen, again with 2 dessertspoons of the above seed mix, and either blueberries or raspberries, a large pinch ground ginger, a dusting of cinnamon, with Almond milk. These are on the days I eat breakfast, but some days I just have a cup of tea with cream, and then go and do my jobs for the morning. Lunch is hardly anything really .... either a chunk of cheddar with a few nuts and a cuppa, but I also love a piece of cheese and a quarter bag of baby spinach, and will eat the spinach as some people eat crisps (which I never really had any desire for) straight from the bag. I adore salads so for dinner I almost always serve either chicken, sausages, beefburger , salmon or tuna on top of that. But I recently found a recipe for cauliflower mash WHICH IS GORGEOUS made with steamed and pureed florets, butter, garlic, and cream cheese. I find it very filling and yet it is low carb! So that sometimes replaces my salads. Most days I snack on nuts (brazil, walnut, almond, pecan) and almost every evening I have a square of Lindt chocolate. I've just moved to 90% from 85% and it seems even more chocolaty!

Last edited:

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The finish is very smooth. Montezuma is a bit powdery by comparison. Gritty perhaps. Word of warning though, the homemade stuff is about a million calories per 100g and will turn you into a whale if you get a taste for it. Don’t recommend eating it for breakfast every day :shifty:

So noted :-D

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
A typical day (now) would be either Greek yogurt with blueberries, Pumpkin, Chia and Flax seed mix (2 dessertspoons, plus a drizzle of double cream, OR 2 tablespoons no sugar Alpen, again with 2 dessertspoons of the above seed mix, and either blueberries or raspberries, a large pinch ground ginger, a dusting of cinnamon, with Almond milk. These are on the days I eat breakfast, but some days I just have a cup of tea with cream, and then go and do my jobs for the morning. Lunch is hardly anything really .... either a chunk of cheddar with a few nuts and a cuppa, but I also love a piece of cheese and a quarter bag of baby spinach, and will eat the spinach as some people eat crisps (which I never really had any desire for) straight from the bag. I adore salads so for dinner I almost always serve either chicken, sausages, beefburger , salmon or tuna on top of that. But I recently found a recipe for cauliflower mash WHICH IS GORGEOUS made with steamed and pureed florets, butter, garlic, and cream cheese. I find it very filling and yet it is low carb! So that sometimes replaces my salads. Most days I snack on nuts (brazil, walnut, almond, pecan) and almost every evening I have a square of Lindt chocolate. I've just moved to 90% from 85% and it seems even more chocolaty!
Bless you. Thanks for sharing that. I too can eat sausages with salad and some coleslaw. I didn’t think about Brazil nuts as I love them. What about peanuts? I suppose have to b unsalted. :-(. You do not eat very much either, probably less then me - 800/1,000 calories or so. I tried the dark choc once and gave me yet another 9; Mayb I ate too much. Thanks again. X
I could add 2 tablespoons of the Alpen to my raspberries and strawberries and have that of a morning for breakfast. X

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bless you. Thanks for sharing that. I too can eat sausages with salad and some coleslaw. I didn’t think about Brazil nuts as I love them. What about peanuts? I suppose have to b unsalted. :-(. You do not eat very much either, probably less then me - 800/1,000 calories or so. I tried the dark choc once and gave me yet another 9; Mayb I ate too much. Thanks again. X
I could add 2 tablespoons of the Alpen to my raspberries and strawberries and have that of a morning for breakfast. X
You do have to be careful with the Alpen as it's very high carb, but because I only have two tablespoons and then add the Pumpkin, Chia and Flaxseeds it levels it out in your system, and I get a rise of next to nothing after the two hours.
Also with Brazil nuts limit to only four as they can affect you. I never eat peanuts, or any salted nuts. Never fancied them really. I do now have Mayo on salads but only since I've been low carb eating.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
You do have to be careful with the Alpen as it's very high carb, but because I only have two tablespoons and then add the Pumpkin, Chia and Flaxseeds it levels it out in your system, and I get a rise of next to nothing after the two hours.
That sounds good. Thank you. X

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What am I eating with too many carbs? .
Some people spike higher (or lower) than the carb count would suggest they might for some items. Lentils/legumes and bread are common ones.

Sausages are a massively mixed bag. Some are about 20% carbs others 1%. Typically those in cafes’s etc are the higher end and might be doing more damage than you realise.

I’d suggest testing before and after these meals a couple of times to check. They might be fine. They might not. And I’d agree it does sound like not a lot of food at all. Perhaps your body is holding on to whatever it can get.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I know what a sausage roll is lol, but the poster said she ate a 'pig in blanket'.
A pig in blanket is a sausage wrapped in bacon as we have at Christmas. It’s very nice…..but I’m sick of them now lol. X

Reactions: KK123

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Some people spike higher (or lower) than the carb count would suggest they might for some items. Lentils/legumes and bread are common ones.

Sausages are a massively mixed bag. Some are about 20% carbs others 1%. Typically those in cafes’s etc are the higher end and might be doing more damage than you realise.

I’d suggest testing before and after these meals a couple of times to check. They might be fine. They might not. And I’d agree it does sound like not a lot of food at all. Perhaps your body is holding on to whatever it can get.
Thank you. I am such a picky eater and what with the metformin still making me feel not very hungry/sick I just don’t fancy any of the food we are supposed to eat. I just want chips!!!! lol. X

Hotpepper20000

Yes the soup is fine. I don’t eat the sausage as in a roll - just on its own and that’s fine. I think the only carbs I eat are probably the nimble bread in the morning then the odd few in other low things. X
But what is you blood sugar reading after eating the bread or the soup. That really is the only way to know for sure if it is fine.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes. Just a sausage wrapped in bacon from our rotisserie at work £1.10!! Daylight robbery. I’d love a sausage roll but sadly not had one for years. X
Pastry has always given me indigestion, so I have shyed away from things like meat pies and sausage rolls/cornish pasties etc for many years, but I did have a passion for egg custards despite them meaning I had to keep Rennies in stock! :D My downfall has mostly been chocolate bars or ice cream but I've not touched them since before I started low carbs at the beginning of July this year, and don't miss them now at all. Getting a taste for dark chocolate helps enormously since the thought of something sweet seems alien and distasteful now :)

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
But what is you blood sugar reading after eating the bread or the soup. That really is the only way to know for sure if it is fine.
Around 7. I kno some of you try to get under this but I look at it as ok. X

Reactions: lucylocket61

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Pastry has always given me indigestion, so I have shyed away from things like meat pies and sausage rolls/cornish pasties etc for many years, but I did have a passion for egg custards despite them meaning I had to keep Rennies in stock! :D My downfall has mostly been chocolate bars or ice cream but I've not touched them since before I started low carbs at the beginning of July this year, and don't miss them now at all. Getting a taste for dark chocolate helps enormously since the thought of something sweet seems alien and distasteful now :)
How long have you been diabetic? X

Reactions: coby