Low carb; how many?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Yes if I don’t eat regularly but at the mo the lowest I have gone is 4. I have only had fruit today and a few slices of ham. Xx.
I had mixed salad leaves topped with steamed cauliflower, carrots and broccoli, then topped with chicken tikka slices and some mayo. It was delicious. I had that at 3.30 so I may possibly have some raspberries and cream later, but still feel pretty full :) xx

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes I think that means you are controlling it well as your bloods are always normal to low. Once mine started creeping up - no more lows. I have one sister who is not diabetic and she’s often 2.9 but feels ok. She hardly ever eats. Xxxx.
Wow!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to drop to 2’s before I was diagnosed fully diabetic. No I eat with metformin. Xxxxx.
I am puzzled. Are you saying you used to have low BG before you were diagnosed? Diabetes means you have high BG which you then try to lower after diagnosis.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am puzzled. Are you saying you used to have low BG before you were diagnosed? Diabetes means you have high BG which you then try to lower after diagnosis.
However, even though we get highs, some of us also get lows. Like me. Looking back, I had hypo symptoms for decades before diagnosis

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Reactive Hypoglycemia: the BG high overshoot causes insulin overshoot which causes BG low overshoot - so eat something sweet and carby and it starts all over again.
Because of the lows it isn't always recognised until after some time. The HbA1C might not be particularly high since it's an average.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Yep. I was diagnosed with an a1c of 48 going into diabetes but before that and up until now (on metformin a1c 50) if I did not eat regularly I would b almost on the floor with a 2.something.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Yep. I was diagnosed with an a1c of 48 going into diabetes but before that and up until now (on metformin a1c 50) if I did not eat regularly I would b almost on the floor with a 2.something.
Obviously the reason I no longer have those lows is because my blood sugar is now higher.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I had mixed salad leaves topped with steamed cauliflower, carrots and broccoli, then topped with chicken tikka slices and some mayo. It was delicious. I had that at 3.30 so I may possibly have some raspberries and cream later, but still feel pretty full :) xx
You too hardly eat a thing. X

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You too hardly eat a thing. X
I find that I really do not need much food now Su. It's really strange, isn't it!
I don't ever let myself get hungry though, and yet on all the carbs I would wake up hungry, ad someties so hungry that I felt sick!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactive Hypoglycemia: the BG high overshoot causes insulin overshoot which causes BG low overshoot - so eat something sweet and carby and it starts all over again.
Because of the lows it isn't always recognised until after some time. The HbA1C might not be particularly high since it's an average.
I think I would have to defer to @Lamont D to say if @SuNuman 's symptoms sound like reactive hypoglycemia.

M

Member496333

However, even though we get highs, some of us also get lows. Like me. Looking back, I had hypo symptoms for decades before diagnosis

Never looked into this but it has me wondering if type 2 can also have a coexisting glucagon derangement that prevents the liver from secreting glucose when it is needed. Maybe pancreatic alpha cells not working correctly in the presence of fat? Maybe even glucagon resistance? Seems at odds with the other end of the scale but the body is so complex it would not surprise me if the two were possible in the same person.

Reactions: HSSS

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not bad mate! Close but no prize!
Blood glucose is high because of a weakened primary insulin response. The second insulin response is called the overshoot. This drives down blood glucose into Hypoglycaemia. And yes, if you treat the hypo as would a diabetic, the outcome would be termed as a rebound effect, and the hyper/hypo cycle would continue.

Unless there was something wrong with your monitor, anything in that range is an episode of hypoglycaemia. And needs to be treated.
RH is non diabetic, and fasting glucose levels are always in normal range and so are Hba1c levels., you're eating regularly is usually the recommended dietary advice and to eat every three hours. This so because then you can eat carbs. But with RH, it doesn't stop the huge amount of hormones that are useless for many reasons, if you have too much circulating insulin, you will have hyperinsulinaemia and serious symptoms.
You may be as a T2, be carb intolerant, like me, and it is the carbs that are making you ill!
Once you start with carbs, once you are awake, the rollercoaster ride of glucose levels is causing the symptoms. The best thing I can help you with is my experience, and being in control, being in normal glucose levels, all the time. Remember no spikes, no hypos. Also no excess insulin and the symptoms start to wane.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Not bad mate! Close but no prize!
Blood glucose is high because of a weakened primary insulin response. The second insulin response is called the overshoot. This drives down blood glucose into Hypoglycaemia. And yes, if you treat the hypo as would a diabetic, the outcome would be termed as a rebound effect, and the hyper/hypo cycle would continue.

Unless there was something wrong with your monitor, anything in that range is an episode of hypoglycaemia. And needs to be treated.
RH is non diabetic, and fasting glucose levels are always in normal range and so are Hba1c levels., you're eating regularly is usually the recommended dietary advice and to eat every three hours. This so because then you can eat carbs. But with RH, it doesn't stop the huge amount of hormones that are useless for many reasons, if you have too much circulating insulin, you will have hyperinsulinaemia and serious symptoms.
You may be as a T2, be carb intolerant, like me, and it is the carbs that are making you ill!
Once you start with carbs, once you are awake, the rollercoaster ride of glucose levels is causing the symptoms. The best thing I can help you with is my experience, and being in control, being in normal glucose levels, all the time. Remember no spikes, no hypos. Also no excess insulin and the symptoms start to wane.
Thank you. It’s very hard trying to find things that are low carb that I actually like and want to eat. X

Reactions: Lamont D
M

Member496333

Thank you. It’s very hard trying to find things that are low carb that I actually like and want to eat. X

I once thought the same but don’t let it get you down. You’ll soon be a pro and the rewards are worth the effort. You just have to find your groove. It will take time but I’m confident you will get there. In the fullness of time you will probably also find that your palate changes to the point where the foods you once loved no longer interest you.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I once thought the same but don’t let it get you down. You’ll soon be a pro and the rewards are worth the effort. You just have to find your groove. It will take time but I’m confident you will get there. In the fullness of time you will probably also find that your palate changes to the point where the foods you once loved no longer interest you.
Bless you. Thank you. X

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I was brought up on chip butties, chips with everything, even when I was told to eat the recommended dietary food I still had plenty of carbs!
And because of my palette and my lactose intolerance, it was extremely difficult, the decision was for me very difficult. But when you really have to, getting your health back takes precedence. The best way to lower your carbs, is clear out your cupboards and fridge, freezers, or if your posh, your pantry. Get rid of them. Don't let the servants allow them back! (Ha!)
There are alternatives to carbs, and if you enjoy cooking, fresh food is a great way forward.

Reactions: Widgets

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I was brought up on chip butties, chips with everything, even when I was told to eat the recommended dietary food I still had plenty of carbs!
And because of my palette and my lactose intolerance, it was extremely difficult, the decision was for me very difficult. But when you really have to, getting your health back takes precedence. The best way to lower your carbs, is clear out your cupboards and fridge, freezers, or if your posh, your pantry. Get rid of them. Don't let the servants allow them back! (Ha!)
There are alternatives to carbs, and if you enjoy cooking, fresh food is a great way forward.
Thank you.

Reactions: Lamont D