Low carb; how many?

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I do not count what I eat any more, I eat approx 100 to 150 grams per day over three meals.

My bgl are not to bad, although my hba1c went up a bit last time, but that was due to stuff they gave me to clean me out for a colonoscopy, and the stuff I had to drink for a CT scan a week later.

I eat meat, fish, dairy stuff eggs, butter cheese, certain veggies, small portions of fruit, I have not missed out on a lot of stuff though. This forum has lots of good tips on what to eat that helped me.
Thank you. X

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi I would just like to know what kind of level of carb you all go for. Say 26g per meal, is that still too much? Thanks all. X
If that is what you are presently eating SuNuman, and your meter is giving you good readings, then you are doing fine. Just remember to test new food additions with your meter. I don't eat the same every day. Sometimes I have no breakfast, a light lunch of something like a small chunk of cheese with half a dozen nuts, and more for my dinner. Other times I will eat a breakfast, so it's very varied with me. I have found in the last couple of months that most days I'm not hungry until mid to late morning though

Reactions: lucylocket61

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too could easily b a vegetarian. I eat some meat now purely so I eat something that won’t spike my blood sugar. I miss a jacket potato with beans or just a plate of chips. I did get to the stage this week that if I ate another serving of meat I would b sick. It is very difficult when you don’t want to eat meat. X.
I eat very little meat. I have cheese, eggs, I have found an endless variety of omelettes to try. Some chicken, some full fat cow milk, loads of green veg and salad, tuna, butter has protein in, I have olive oils too on my veg.

I don't have tofu or nuts but they are mostly low carb. There are lots of protein sources without having meat.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I eat very little meat. I have cheese, eggs, I have found an endless variety of omelettes to try. Some chicken, some full fat cow milk, loads of green veg and salad, tuna, butter has protein in, I have olive oils too on my veg.

I don't have tofu or nuts but they are mostly low carb. There are lots of protein sources without having meat.
Yes. I could eat a sausage easily if it were covered and hid in pastry to make a sausage roll lol. Meat does not appeal to me. X.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
If that is what you are presently eating SuNuman, and your meter is giving you good readings, then you are doing fine. Just remember to test new food additions with your meter. I don't eat the same every day. Sometimes I have no breakfast, a light lunch of something like a small chunk of cheese with half a dozen nuts, and more for my dinner. Other times I will eat a breakfast, so it's very varied with me. I have found in the last couple of months that most days I'm not hungry until mid to late morning though
Bless you. I don’t seem to b ever hungry. My weight had dropped to slightly under 12 now but I’m only eating tops 1200 cals a day. It seems strange the weight loss is not quicker, thou you said the same. How many cals do you think you eat a day now? Does your weight change? Because we seem to eat so little. X.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told 46 years ago to aim for 200 gms per day , I'me now down to about 150 g per day and I find thats fine as when you get older you tend to eat less , I've recently lost one and a half stone of belly fat and that has made me feel good as well .
Don’t forget you are type 1 and a lot less likely to be insulin resistant and therefore carb intolerant than a type 2

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be for me. I detest meat fat, loathe chicken skin, loathe the taste and mouthfeel of the fat from any kind of meat.

I do like fish and so have added that back into my diet after several years of being vegetarian, my diet now though is based on green veggies - cucumber, celery, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower - eggs, cheese and nuts. I have oily fish once or twice a week. Of course there is some variety, but those are my basics.
Interestingly I felt the same about meat fat, chicken skin even cream until I dropped the carbs. Totally different reaction to them now. I still don’t like huge lumps of gelatinous fat on meat but normal amounts are absolutely fine and improve the flavour and I now grab the chicken skin quickly rather than bin it.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly I felt the same about meat fat, chicken skin even cream until I dropped the carbs. Totally different reaction to them now. I still don’t like huge lumps of gelatinous fat on meat but normal amounts are absolutely fine and improve the flavour and I now grab the chicken skin quickly rather than bin it.

That's interesting. I might consider experimenting if/when I feel the need to vary my current regime.

I mean, I never thought I'd get to like 100% chocolate, but the stuff from Montezuma now perfectly fits my taste buds. And (as a bonus!) is totally safe from depredations by the BlokeShape :)

M

Member496333

That's interesting. I might consider experimenting if/when I feel the need to vary my current regime.

I mean, I never thought I'd get to like 100% chocolate, but the stuff from Montezuma now perfectly fits my taste buds. And (as a bonus!) is totally safe from depredations by the BlokeShape :)

You can also make your own by mixing cocoa butter and cocoa powder. I used to melt the butter in the microwave, stir in the powder, heat the mix some more, pour into moulds and leave to set in the fridge.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Bless you. I don’t seem to b ever hungry. My weight had dropped to slightly under 12 now but I’m only eating tops 1200 cals a day. It seems strange the weight loss is not quicker, thou you said the same. How many cals do you think you eat a day now? Does your weight change? Because we seem to eat so little. X.
Su I have never counted calories, so I have no idea! My weight has slowed right down, and I am probably only losing about a pound each week, if that, but as I'm now 9st 12lb (sorry don't do kilos) then I don't mind that at all. My shape is quite good now though and I can see the difference, but stubbornly my waist is STILL 34 :( I have slim hips so have to be content with that LOL I carry around my waist and that's meant to be the most dangerous area I believe?

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Su I have never counted calories, so I have no idea! My weight has slowed right down, and I am probably only losing about a pound each week, if that, but as I'm now 9st 12lb (sorry don't do kilos) then I don't mind that at all. My shape is quite good now though and I can see the difference, but stubbornly my waist is STILL 34 :( I have slim hips so have to be content with that LOL I carry around my waist and that's meant to be the most dangerous area I believe?
Yeah same as me. My stomach is huge. My arms and legs very skinny. Do you think you eat very much? On a typical day I will have - one slice nimble bread toast b/f. Lunch Mayb a large pig in blanket from our Rotisserie at work and raspberries and then dinner ww lentil soup with Mayb peppers and coleslaw for a side. All with a cold diet drink. I find it very hard Coby as I am such a picky eater. But my weight still doesn’t drop off as quickly as I thought it would. Perhaps you would share a days meal plan for you. X.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can also make your own by mixing cocoa butter and cocoa powder. I used to melt the butter in the microwave, stir in the powder, heat the mix some more, pour into moulds and leave to set in the fridge.

Thank you!

Someone I did a course with years ago brought in her home made chocolate once. She warned people that they might not like it, but I thought it was great. I didn't get any details from her as to how she made it, but this looks promising. I will give it a go.

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah same as me. My stomach is huge. My arms and legs very skinny. Do you think you eat very much? On a typical day I will have - one slice nimble bread toast b/f. Lunch Mayb a large pig in blanket from our Rotisserie at work and raspberries and then dinner ww lentil soup with Mayb peppers and coleslaw for a side. All with a cold diet drink. I find it very hard Coby as I am such a picky eater. But my weight still doesn’t drop off as quickly as I thought it would. Perhaps you would share a days meal plan for you. X.

I found my weight didn’t drop for a few weeks even though I was fasting and eating better. I’d also been exercising loads on the peloton. After about 3-4 weeks, I started losing 2-3 pounds a week. No changes in what I did to make it happen, it just happened. Was frustrating at first but things are moving in the right direction now. Maybe it takes time for some people. What I did notice though, was clothes felt a bit looser before I noticed any movement on the scales. I stupidly didn’t take body measurements doh

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I found my weight didn’t drop for a few weeks even though I was fasting and eating better. I’d also been exercising loads on the peloton. After about 3-4 weeks, I started losing 2-3 pounds a week. No changes in what I did to make it happen, it just happened. Was frustrating at first but things are moving in the right direction now. Maybe it takes time for some people. What I did notice though, was clothes felt a bit looser before I noticed any movement on the scales. I stupidly didn’t take body measurements doh
I see thank you. At first I dropped from almost 13 stone to 12 but now the scales seem stuck. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Sounds like you aren't eating enough.
Probably also still too many carbs.
What am I eating with too many carbs? I have one slice of nimble bread for breakfast that is all. Everything else is low carb - ok the lentil soup Maybe a bit higher but it all comes to about 50g per day at most. All I eat for my lunch at work in my shop is a sausage from the rotisserie and raspberries.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What am I eating with too many carbs? I have one slice of nimble bread for breakfast that is all. Everything else is low carb - ok the lentil soup Maybe a bit higher but it all comes to about 50g per day at most. All I eat for my lunch at work in my shop is a sausage from the rotisserie and raspberries.
for some people, even a few carbs are considered by them to be too many. Ignore them and carry on, you are doing nothing wrong.

Hotpepper20000

Do you test your blood sugar after eating the lentil soup or sausage roll?
It’s not always about the total number.
Spikes in blood sugar will indicate that it’s too many carbs.

Reactions: ziggy_w
M

Member496333

Thank you!

Someone I did a course with years ago brought in her home made chocolate once. She warned people that they might not like it, but I thought it was great. I didn't get any details from her as to how she made it, but this looks promising. I will give it a go.

The finish is very smooth. Montezuma is a bit powdery by comparison. Gritty perhaps. Word of warning though, the homemade stuff is about a million calories per 100g and will turn you into a whale if you get a taste for it. Don’t recommend eating it for breakfast every day :shifty:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does depend on the lifestyle you lead as well , I mean like tonight i've just been invited by friends to the pub which we do roughly every two weeks so a couple of pints of lager will be about 40 grams of carbs Just because you have diabetes it doesn't stop you doing normal lifestyle things .

Hi there, I think you have to be careful about lumping all diabetics into the same category, I agree that having diabetes doesn't stop you doing normal things but a type 2 for example may not be able to eat 40g carbs or more without a very different effect to you eating them.