Low carb; how many?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Just a sausage wrapped in bacon from our rotisserie at work £1.10!! Daylight robbery. I’d love a sausage roll but sadly not had one for years. X
I love sausages in bacon (pigs in blankets in the uk) and make my own. They freeze well after cooking and make a tasty snack or quick meal.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I was diagnosed in January 2016 Su.
What about you?
2 years ago - just before we went on holiday to Cyprus. But this summer my a1c had gone up enough for medication I was told. Before I was able to get it to 37 with careful eating - but I was still eating jacket potatoes and fish in breadcrumbs - now they send me sky high. I’m 53. 5 3 and just under 12 stone. I am married with 3 grown up children and 2 grandsons. X

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
2 years ago - just before we went on holiday to Cyprus. But this summer my a1c had gone up enough for medication I was told. Before I was able to get it to 37 with careful eating - but I was still eating jacket potatoes and fish in breadcrumbs - now they send me sky high. I’m 53. 5 3 and just under 12 stone. I am married with 3 grown up children and 2 grandsons. X
We are the same height then :)
When I was diagnosed I was already into diabetic figures, so was put in metformin straight away.
I thought they'd made a mistake!
It seemed ridiculous at first, and then scary!!!

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Yes
We are the same height then :)
When I was diagnosed I was already into diabetic figures, so was put in metformin straight away.
I thought they'd made a mistake!
It seemed ridiculous at first, and then scary!!!
it’s only now I take it seriously I am diabetic as before I was kind of just edging over kind of thing. Do you ever see a reading of over 9 now? X

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes

it’s only now I take it seriously I am diabetic as before I was kind of just edging over kind of thing. Do you ever see a reading of over 9 now? X
No Su.
The highest I've seen since I began in July was a 7.
I remember getting a 10 once before though, some years ago, and it scared me as the highest had never been over 8

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No Su.
I remember getting a 10 once before though, some years ago, and it scared me as the highest had never been over 8
Su, I attacked this full on. I didn't eat a thing until 3.30pm on the first day of the onslaught in July, and then the following couple of days I ate nothing until 11.30am, so of course it was a good start. I had no meter then as mine got mislaid when I moved house, and it was a week before I had one, so my first tests were already good numbers :) xx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What am I eating with too many carbs? I have one slice of nimble bread for breakfast that is all. Everything else is low carb - ok the lentil soup Maybe a bit higher but it all comes to about 50g per day at most. All I eat for my lunch at work in my shop is a sausage from the rotisserie and raspberries.
If the sausage is the usual full of **** stuff then that would be quite high too..
I suggest you keep a strict food diary for a week with weighing and see how many carbs you really are taking in.You might well be surprised. Eating carbs at every meal won't help you achieve remission if that is your aim.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
No Su.
That is fantastic. I see 9’s that scare me and even had a 12. But it doesn’t stay high for long. I remember seeing 8’s before and then had an a1c of 37. I have to try harder then to not see those numbers. X.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Su, I attacked this full on. I didn't eat a thing until 3.30pm on the first day of the onslaught in July, and then the following couple of days I ate nothing until 11.30am, so of course it was a good start. I had no meter then as mine got mislaid when I moved house, and it was a week before I had one, so my first tests were already good numbers :) xx

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
That’s good. I am able to fast now without feeling faint. Before I would always drop down to 2’s and have to eat something but since my a1c has gone up I no longer have hypos so I can go longer without food now - or maybe the metformin helps with that. Seems strange as I always had terribly low blood sugar (if I did not eat) but do not now. X

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Well if he has type 1 he'll find out soon enough. As for being disgusted, well that's up to him surely? Nobody elses business really.
Sorry I did mean to say type 2 , Yes it is only his business I can't see were I said it was anybody elses but we can still have an opinion !

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That’s good. I am able to fast now without feeling faint. Before I would always drop down to 2’s and have to eat something but since my a1c has gone up I no longer have hypos so I can go longer without food now - or maybe the metformin helps with that. Seems strange as I always had terribly low blood sugar (if I did not eat) but do not now. X
I hope you don't take a metformin while fasting? I only have one per day and usually with breakfast, but if I delay eating then I have it with the first meal, whenever that is. That doesn't seem right dropping to 2's!! Were you drinking as you need to, and that won't alter your fast. You can even have cream in your coffee (or tea in my case) x

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I hope you don't take a metformin while fasting? I only have one per day and usually with breakfast, but if I delay eating then I have it with the first meal, whenever that is. That doesn't seem right dropping to 2's!! Were you drinking as you need to, and that won't alter your fast. You can even have cream in your coffee (or tea in my case) x
I used to drop to 2’s before I was diagnosed fully diabetic. No I eat with metformin. Xxxxx.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I used to drop to 2’s before I was diagnosed fully diabetic. No I eat with metformin. Xxxxx.
SuNuman I didn't even know that Type 2 diabetics could ever go as low as 2's! That would freak me out! I'm not hungry yet todau (now 12.20pm) but I'll have a cuppa and some nuts as I've just come in from mowing the lawn and will be sitting down to see the news on tv shortly :) x

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still drop below 3 if I don't eat regularly, and I am a type 2 diabetic on no meds. I have been diagnosed for 10 years.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I still drop below 3 if I don't eat regularly, and I am a type 2 diabetic on no meds. I have been diagnosed for 10 years.
Yes I think that means you are controlling it well as your bloods are always normal to low. Once mine started creeping up - no more lows. I have one sister who is not diabetic and she’s often 2.9 but feels ok. She hardly ever eats. Xxxx.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
SuNuman I didn't even know that Type 2 diabetics could ever go as low as 2's! That would freak me out! I'm not hungry yet todau (now 1.20pm) but I'll have a cuppa and some nuts as I've just come in from mowing the lawn and will be sitting down to see the news on tv shortly :) x
Yes if I don’t eat regularly but at the mo the lowest I have gone is 4. I have only had fruit today and a few slices of ham. Xx.