diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi WhitbyJet, I have just printed your recipe for Moussaka. Before I make this, is it correct that I will not have to pour salt on the aubergines to remove excess fluid, just bake them in the oven?, thanks Deb x

Jillycoops5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Just trying out the caveman crumble as i had the gift of free rhubarb, i am am a bit confused though by all the recipes cause they all say low carb but there are no carb values given i am on a low GI to help my weight and diabetes and would like to know what these values are. Is it a case of having to try and work it out for myself? Any help greatly appreciated
thanks.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Jillycoops5, Caveman crumble was Defren's recipe so why not PM her and try to get the information you need?, Deb

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Everyone, a question please. When a recipe calls for beef or chicken stock which one is the lowest carb, which one do people use. I sometimes do have authentic chicken stock in the freezer but not always, thanks for the help, Deb

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coconut pancakes

2 eggs
2 tablespoons TIANA Organic Virgin Coconut Oil or butter, melted
5 tablespoons coconut milk or whole milk
1 teaspoon TIANA Organic Raw Crystallised Coconut Nectar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sifted TIANA Organic Coconut Flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder

Method
Blend together eggs, oil, coconut milk, nectar and salt. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet. Spoon batter onto hot skillet making pancakes about 2 ½ to 3 inches in diameter. Batter will be thick, but will flatten out when cooking. Makes about 8 pancakes.

I used honey instead of the coconut nectar, and threw in a handful of sunflower seeds and a handful of dried fruit and still only got to a total of about 40-45g carbs for the whole lot.

Half of it for breakfast was a good sized portion, so I counted 25 g carbs for my breakfast with a dollop of bramley apple stewed with a drop of water and plenty of cinnamon and allspice.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Attachments

• kokosowe ciasto male.jpg
    kokosowe ciasto male.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,741

karenmc2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Ignorant and rude people
Hi
I am type 2 on metformin and victoza Inj can anybody recommend a good recipe book for diabetics I am nearly 20stone thanks to a fall at work leaving me with a disability and then diabetic and a 4stone weight increase it was bad enough before I fell now I feel and look like jumbo looking forward to finding a book with advice and recipes if anybody knows of one x

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Karenmc2, I would concentrate on the Low Carb Section recipes and read up on this forum about eating a high fat, low carb diet. Look at Viv's Modified Diet. There is plenty of information here to help you lose some weight and importantly get those blood glucose levels lower, good luck x

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Everyone, I recently bought some vanilla and realised when I got home that it was vanilla flavouring. So when people buy vanilla, what do you buy, extract or pods and which make are considered "the best", thanks, Deb

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Low Carb White Bread Rolls

I keep forgetting to post these in here. Here's a new recipe I did for bread rolls. I wanted ones that tasted as if they came from a bakery, so I've been working on them for weeks with many different flours and finally success!

Low Carb White Bread Rolls and here's the link to the recipe: http://low-carb-recipes-online.blogspot.com/2013/07/low-carb-white-bread-rolls.html

I think they're make a great replacement. They're not bouncing with vitamins and omegas, but they are low carb enough to have on your diet when you're craving a sarnie :)

L

Luna21

They sound and look fabulous, but I just googled Atkins flour mix and it's very expensive!
Where would you suggest is the cheapest place to buy it from? I really fancy trying my hand at these so I can have a nice bacon roll on a Sunday morning. :thumbup:

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Luna21 said:
They sound and look fabulous, but I just googled Atkins flour mix and it's very expensive!
Where would you suggest is the cheapest place to buy it from? I really fancy trying my hand at these so I can have a nice bacon roll on a Sunday morning. :thumbup:

Yeah they really taste great too, but the flour isn't cheap. I think the cheapest I found online was for a tenner, but I got mine from http://www.avidlite.co.uk/acatalog/Atkins-All-Purpose-Baking-Mix--907g-bag-ALB096.html for £9.35. The problem is that the Atkins flour is the only one I've ever found that actually works properly for any kind of bread. If anyone finds a cheaper version, that would be fantastic.

For the Atkins flour and doing some mental math it's: a 900g bag, so you can estimate about 50 bread rolls from 1 bag, so that's about 9 packs of store bought bread rolls. I think my local shop sells 6 rolls for £1.50 each ish. So from the local shop I'd pay £13.50 for the same amount of bread rolls. Yeah, it ends up being nearly the same price as pre-made. Since you do all the work in making them, it would be nicer if it was a bit cheaper. I figure, I'd spend it anyway on the higher carb version. I think a lot of the pricing is because Atkins is an American brand, so shipping and VAT comes into it.

The price seems a lot cheaper in the States. It's on Amazon.com for $12 (6 quid), but it depends on shipping prices if you can actually get it for that over here. We luck out on a lot of great low carb things (Bob's Red Mill brand etc.) because it's all made in the States. Most of the truly amazing low carb things aren't even on sale to the UK. Hopefully that'll change in the future.

For pastry or cakes etc. I'd suggest using Carbalose or soya flour as it's much cheaper, but the Atkins one is the only one I've found that works with bread. Carbalose can make decent doughnuts, but it just flops with bread for some reason.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great blog Claire! Good find for the Atkins flour too. What is the carb content in it? Does it taste ok?

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
SamJB said:
Great blog Claire! Good find for the Atkins flour too. What is the carb content in it? Does it taste ok?

Here's the nutrition on the Atkins flour: http://stage.atkins.com/Products/Cuisine/All-Purpose-Baking-Mix.aspx

Like all the Atkins stuff, I think they use polyols or dietry fibre in there, because on the front of the bag it says: Only 5 net carbs per 40g, but on the nutrition it lists 11g carbs. Like everything at Atkins, there are carbs you don't count (or at least from what I gather).

I used 2 cups, so I listed it as 30g carbs for the batch, with 30g on the spelt, then I added on 10g because I like to overestimate. So overall it was 70g carbs for 10 bread rolls, estimating at 7g per roll. Without the spelt it came in at 3-4g per roll, but the spelt makes it taste like bread, so it's a personal choice on that.

The Atkins does taste okay on it's own in a lot of things, but in bread it was just lacking that bread flavour, so that's why I added the spelt. With the spelt, it's a proper bread roll. They came out really well.

I don't think they are great on nutrition or that low carb, but they're certainly low carb enough if your sandwich filling is carb free.

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
SamJB said:

I just double checked the bags and my math is wrong on the bread rolls. I estimate 9g net carbs per roll. Still it's okay for a big sarnie full of high-fat no-carb fillings.

Here's a breakdown:
Atkins flour - 2 cups=30g net carbs (This is based on the 5g net carbs that you count.)
Spelt flour - 1 cup = 60g carbs.
The yeast uses the sugar, so that shouldn't add carbs to it.

Batch of 10 rolls = 90g carbs, so it's 9g carbs per roll.

The thing I like about them still, is that I can make a sandwich with them and still keep under my 20g carbs a day.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Bearing in mind that I have been up until a week or so ago a convenience food freak and that I am just beginning to explore the world of DIY cooking, I was wondering if any kind folk have suggestions on oven cooking the following.

I purchased some ASDA cod loin (whatever that is) and would like to cook it in the oven, all suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Also, I had a couple of fresh chicken breasts, I looked around the web and they all said to cook them at 325c ermm I think I have a weird oven cause it has a top temperature of 250c.

If anyone can help me on the above I would be a happy camper as it would add to my egg/bacon/lettuce menu :p. BTW I am going to attempt the crust-less quiche next week, so keep an eye out on the news for major fires in the Scottish borders area :lol:

Mark