donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I do similar.. Halve sweet pointy peppers, fill with any philadelphia cheese and load on lightly fried bacon lardons lightly fried with crushed garlic. Then grill until bacon fully crispy and cheese melting.

Truly yummy..,

Loving life

Reactions: 2 people

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
*Waves to @purplekat * :D

LOW CARB JALAPEÑO POPPERS (vegetarian)

Very easy, tasty, party food or starter. I made half with cheese and half with cheese with added chopped up quorn chorizo.

http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-jalapeno-poppers-114032

9u6lpw.jpg

Would love to try this with an old sharp cheddar, but I suspect things would turn out an oily mess

EDIT: wonder what goat cheese would be like dusted with bacon. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy both soft and hard goats cheese from Tesco - soft is lovely when warmed and melted, but the hard stuff doesn't take so kindly to the process.

I thought that the little pepper poppers looked just like spotty white mice with tails when I saw them in the What Have You Eaten Today thread - it took me a while to cotton on that their tails were actually pepper stalks - I was trying to work out what sort of mould they were made in until light finally dawned. I'm definitely going addled in my old age... :wideyed::wideyed:

Robbity

Reactions: 7 people

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Tried this Creamy Courgette and Bacon Pasta at the weekend and it was very nearly like an authentic cabonara. I used what I had in the cupboard - cut up bacon slices instead of pancetta, chedder cheese instead of parmesan and cream instead of creme fraiche and obviously I didn't use actual tagliatelle just the courgette ribbons as pasta, it was lovely.

http//www.bbcgoodfood.com.creamy-courgette-and-bacon-pasta

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw a recipe for a low carb choc cake somewhere on the forum and it required cocoa powder. Is that like drinking chocolate powder? ??? Cheers

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
No, cocoa is different. It doesn't have sugar in it like the drinking chocolate. Look for cocoa in the home baking aisle.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Green & Black (who make lovely dark chocolate) also make a cocoa powder - I get mine from Tesco. You can also get chocolate essence for using in baking, etc. I use in with a mix of thick cream & cream cheese to make a topping or filling for chocolate muffins.

I think Scandichick has a nice recipe somewhere for a chocolate muffin that includes pieces of choccie in the ingredients as well.

I'm getting hungry now...

Robbity

Greeny79

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Low Carb Recipes.

Coconut Chocolate Stuff ... or "Almond Bark" by Rose Elliott!

100 grammes coconut oil (Always use virgin pressed)
100 grammes ground almonds (I use a blend of low carb ground nuts - including macadamia nuts!)
25 grammes pure raw cocoa powder
25 grammes granulated sweetener of choice (I use xylitol)

Melt coconut oil (this doesn't take long)
Throw in cocoa and mix well so you have chocolate oil
Stir in sweetener and allow to soften / disolve (whatever your chosen sweetener does!)
Stir in nuts
Mix it all really well and scoop/pour into plastic tub and allow to cool (coolest part of fridge) for at least 90 minutes
When set, cut and leave another few minutes before serving

If you want to eat chunks like fudge use a slightly smaller tub or if you want chocolate-like slabs use a large flat tub

Originally from Rose Elliots Low Carb Vegetarian (an excellent book) I adapted the recipe slightly

BENEFITS:

* zero impact on blood sugar
* beneficial compounds in coconut oil (yes the fat is saturated but it's the right molecule)
* beneficial compounds in cocoa
* almonds are known to reduce cholesterol
* tastes amazing
* unbelievably fast and easy to make
* makes 21 large servings

ENJOY ... I do!

Jem xoxoxoxox

Just made this but with half of each ingredient to test it out, must have cocked up because it tastes minging lol, really really bitter , any similar ideas out there as like the sound of it

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Tad Trendy's Cabbage Satay

Par cook a lot of cut up cabbage, we end up with more than 6 serves sometimes we add more cabbage the second day.

I wing this without a recipe and it was originally to use up and bulk out left over corned beef, but you can use any cooked meat or sausage.

The gravy is
a tin of baked beans crushed in a bowl with a spoon to make a paste (you would not know it has BB in it)
with spices and peanut butter and sweetener or sugar or honey
Add water to a gravy consistency
Add the cabbage and cooked meat and heat for a final cook in the microwave.

There is a lot of cabbage so the satay gravy has to be very potent

The extras
Peanut butter probably at least 2 table spoons maybe more it is the distinctive taste of satay
Garlic from a jar at least 2 dessert spoons
Ginger from a jar at least 2 dessert spoons maybe more ginger is good
Keens curry powder I use a hell of a lot of it but keep tasting it to get what you want. (hot)
Sweetener or honey or sugar to taste.

I do not add salt because the corned beef is salty but when we make it with chicken it tastes OK without salt.

Originally I put in a lot of onion but if the satay sauce/gravy is good the onion is a waste.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just made this but with half of each ingredient to test it out, must have cocked up because it tastes minging lol, really really bitter , any similar ideas out there as like the sound of it
Maybe more sweetener?

I made it and loved it.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I liked the sound of this, and bought R.E's low-carb book because I've always loved her vegetarian food. I didn't get on with the almond bark recipe, I hate the taste and 'feel' of sweeteners, but without them some recipes are too bitter for me.

There's a good recipe on here for Rocky Road, using coconut oil, dark chocolate, nuts and 'sugar-free' marshmallows. Very nice in small quantities.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What sweetener do you use?

I've given up on everything except xylitol nowadays. It's the only one I can stand.

Stevia has this weird aftertaste, and all the chemical ones are just vile. Xylitol is a slightly bland generic sweetness, but it has (for me) no tang or gut problems.

My theory (cos ya have to have a theory, dontcha?). Is that the more you low carb, the more you lose your sweet tooth, and the more sensitive you are to sweet flavours.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
If we can get used to being diabetic then a not to our taste sugar replacement is probably no too tough a gig.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LCHF can be easier than Real Life:

Labour-saving Blackberry Crumble

Wash a handful per person of hedgerow blackberries.
Chuck them into ( buttered, but you don't have to bother buttering) individual heatproof dishes.
Scatter over 2 tablespoons (or as much or as little as you like) ground almonds.
Scatter a teaspoon of brown sugar over the Crumbles destined for people who will eat sugar.
Place a teaspoon of butter on top of each one.
Scatter a little cinnamon if you wish.

Place the dishes on a baking tray or in a roasting pan and put in a moderately hot oven for 10 mins.
Place the sugary ones at one end of the tray, and the sugarless ones at the other end, and try not to forget which are which.:D
Serve with whipped or unwhipped cream.

NB: no hassle, no saucepans, no mixing-bowls, no rubbing-in, family-friendly, low-carb or higher-carb depending on your company. :D

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Choc chip cake..lovely cooked...then cooled for 20mins whilst eating dinner and then eat with cream poured over....(see bottom notes):

Ingredients

Crumb Topping:
1/4 cup almond flour
1/2 tablespoon stevia powder
1 & 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter, softened
I also throw in some chopped up macadamia nuts..

Cake:
2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup whey protein powder (flavoured or unflavoured) I use bulkpowders chocolate cookie whey powder)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup stevia sweetener
3 medium eggs room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup or 1 pack of dr owtler dark chocolate chips.

In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour, sweetener, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
Do not blend, literally cut in soft butter.....

For the cake:
preheat oven to 170degree and grease a shallow loose based round cake tin.
In a medium bowl, whisk everything together except the chocolate chips.
When mixes add in choc chips before cooking and gently fold in.pour into tin.
Bake 25 minutes, then remove from oven and sprinkle with topping.
Return to oven and bake another 15 to 20 minutes, until sides are beginning to brown and centre is just firm to the touch.
Remove and let cool at least 20 minutes before serving (cake will fall apart easily if you remove it while it's still very warm).

Serves 10....
About 14g carbs... But this depends whether you choose plain whey protein or chocolate cookie protein etc.....Or add on macadamia nuts etc...

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

I adore taco salads..the spicy mexican mince salad cheese salsa and sour cream...I've just been told there is only 2g carb in a sachet of old el paso taco seasoning...and if you absolutely had to have a taco shell. Well only 7g in each shell...so with care this could well fit in to a low carb diet! Yum