Mental health & adjusting to new lifestyle

straygoat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

I've recently been diagnosed as prediabetic. The doc sent me a link to another website for information and left me to it, so I'm still new to it all. I've not made drastic changes yet, but have tried to be more careful about what I'm eating - now on wholemeal bread and brown rice, no chocolate or sweets, no crisps, etc. But I am really miserable, even more than I already was!

I am a fussy eater and always have been. Even had counseling to get over some food phobias, but it didn't help much. All I keep seeing is stuff about the mediterranean diet (which is pretty much my nightmare diet) and things like "have these delicious xyz" instead, and it is always something I hate. Like eggs or tomatoes.

I'm already getting to the point where I feel like an eating disorder might lie ahead. I do two fast days a week (no food at all) and kind of am of the mindset where I'd rather not eat than eat stuff I don't enjoy. Silly, illogical, yes ... but that's how it is.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences about this sort of thing. I understand that my diet is likely how I ended up in this predicament to start with!

Teddysmum

I am not prediabetic but at least 14 years into type 2. I had most of those years on diet and exercise, with the latter declining for the last 5 years, because of a spine problem.
After last year's spine operation, I have reduced pain in my left leg, but have nerve damage, which means I can only walk a few steps unaided and can only stand for a couple of minutes. There goes the exercise.
My surgeon said my diabetes was fine for surgery and nurses said my daily readings were fine , so I have been twice surprised to have a new GP , twice, say that my levels are not good.
My problem, like yours ,is that I dislike a lot of good things we should eat (Don't like pasta, so that's no loss and wouldn't miss rice ) but there is very little that I seem to be able to eat ,my husband, who has to do the cooking won't/can't cook other things and I don't often like vegetables or fancy the weirdly named items people say they love.
I do like most fruits, cheese, meats, haddock and Gregg's frozen pies (husband can usually bake these), but the latter have pastry, though very thin , which is a no no.
When I last saw a dietician, in the 2000s, before they cut dietician and podiatrist appointments, she was for the 'plate' and most things, but in moderation, so that was fine, even allowing for naughty treats 'in moderation', but with the more recent tends I can hardly find any recipes that I wouldn't mind trying.
Perhaps they will invent a special pill that allows all you can eat...'in moderation'.

Reactions: straygoat

straygoat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not prediabetic but at least 14 years into type 2. I had most of those years on diet and exercise, with the latter declining for the last 5 years, because of a spine problem.
After last year's spine operation, I have reduced pain in my left leg, but have nerve damage, which means I can only walk a few steps unaided and can only stand for a couple of minutes. There goes the exercise.
My surgeon said my diabetes was fine for surgery and nurses said my daily readings were fine , so I have been twice surprised to have a new GP , twice, say that my levels are not good.
My problem, like yours ,is that I dislike a lot of good things we should eat (Don't like pasta, so that's no loss and wouldn't miss rice ) but there is very little that I seem to be able to eat ,my husband, who has to do the cooking won't/can't cook other things and I don't often like vegetables or fancy the weirdly named items people say they love.
I do like most fruits, cheese, meats, haddock and Gregg's frozen pies (husband can usually bake these), but the latter have pastry, though very thin , which is a no no.
When I last saw a dietician, in the 2000s, before they cut dietician and podiatrist appointments, she was for the 'plate' and most things, but in moderation, so that was fine, even allowing for naughty treats 'in moderation', but with the more recent tends I can hardly find any recipes that I wouldn't mind trying.
Perhaps they will invent a special pill that allows all you can eat...'in moderation'.
Yeah, it is a problem. Or more likely WE are the problem.
Carbs were my vice. Don't drink alcohol, don't smoke or vape, rarely eat red meat, do exercise ... prediabetes is the curse that was inevitable, I suppose.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

I've recently been diagnosed as prediabetic. The doc sent me a link to another website for information and left me to it, so I'm still new to it all. I've not made drastic changes yet, but have tried to be more careful about what I'm eating - now on wholemeal bread and brown rice, no chocolate or sweets, no crisps, etc. But I am really miserable, even more than I already was!

I am a fussy eater and always have been. Even had counseling to get over some food phobias, but it didn't help much. All I keep seeing is stuff about the mediterranean diet (which is pretty much my nightmare diet) and things like "have these delicious xyz" instead, and it is always something I hate. Like eggs or tomatoes.

I'm already getting to the point where I feel like an eating disorder might lie ahead. I do two fast days a week (no food at all) and kind of am of the mindset where I'd rather not eat than eat stuff I don't enjoy. Silly, illogical, yes ... but that's how it is.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences about this sort of thing. I understand that my diet is likely how I ended up in this predicament to start with!
Sorry but carbs are carbs whatever the colour. Swapping to brown ones doesn't really help us.
Protein and fat, however, you can eat.
Chocolate is fine, it is the loads of added sugar which make most products induce spikes in blood glucose .I get high cocoa chocolate - 95% if I can find it, and have just one square.

straygoat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but carbs are carbs whatever the colour. Swapping to brown ones doesn't really help us.
Protein and fat, however, you can eat.
Chocolate is fine, it is the loads of added sugar which make most products induce spikes in blood glucose .I get high cocoa chocolate - 95% if I can find it, and have just one square.
:( then I am truly up the creek. I can do high cocoa chocolate, but with a one square ration probably wouldn't bother. Not sure what else I'm going to eat though ... veg and beans for every meal ... sigh.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you can list the foods you do like, or can manage, we may be able to help make a list of what should be ok for you.
Bearing in mind you're pre diabetic, you shouldn't need too drastic a change to get back on track.

straygoat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can list the foods you do like, or can manage, we may be able to help make a list of what should be ok for you.
Bearing in mind you're pre diabetic, you shouldn't need too drastic a change to get back on track.

Thanks. What do you mean by back on track? Is this something I can reverse? It's not an inevitable journey towards full-blown diabetes?

Off the top of my head:

Like:

Peppers
Onion
Leek
Chicken (but don't want to eat a lot of meat)
Turkey
Curry (dansak especially)
Lentils
Fish cake, breaded fish (cod, haddock, similar)
Fish fingers
Beans (most types)
Spicy stuff (Indian, Jamaican)
Cheddar
Most fruit
Peanuts, hazelnuts

All the things I can't have, especially: potatoes, chips, crisps, rice, bread, carrots (?), Linda McCartney's sausages

Tolerate:

Spinach
Watercress
Rocket
Brazil nuts (one or two is enough)
Walnut

Hate (or won't eat for other reasons):

Tomatoes (ok as a sauce as long as it doesn't taste too strong)
Butter and marge
Eggs
Beef
Pork
Bacon
Duck
Lamb
Savoury food that is creamy
Italian and Greek cuisine
Avocados
Cucumber
Aubergine
Cous Cous
Hummus
Coconut
Anything with strong vinegar taste
Mayo
Salad cream
Salad dressings
Feta
Cottage cheese
Oily fish
Pesto

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it's reversible, not curable but can be held back by avoiding the wrong foods.
Try using Cauliflower rice, as a substitute, it works pretty well. Plenty of low carb curry recipes, even low carb naans etc. Some you may like some you won't. It's just a case of trial and error.
It's a shame about the meats, avocados, Mayo, bacon, oily fish and butter. But if you go low carb, your tastes WILL change. You may find them more acceptable.
Lentils and beans, you need to test with a meter to know your reaction to them, most can't cope, but you may be able to, even if a reduced portion size.
Fruit is one to avoid if possible, Berries are ok with moderation.
I get on very well with Celariac chips, cut the size of chip shop chips, par boiled for 5 mins, change the water and reboil for 2 - 3 mins, this removes the stronger flavour, coated in olive oil salt pepper and a sprinkle of paprika, cooked in oven or air fried. For me Sausage egg and chips, or beefburger, or even with steak and mushrooms. The point is they are pretty good, and you can use them how you would before.
Google any food you like, and add Keto or low carb, you'll get a myriad of recipes to try.
It may sound daft, but a pre diabetic diagnosis, (although it is not an actual condition), may turn out to be the best thing that has happened for you. It probably sounds stupid to you at the moment, but as your health improves going forward, you will get it.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @straygoat and welcome to the forum.
The pharmaceutical companies would love you to think that diabetes is inevitable when you become pre-diabetic, but it isn't true and even quite severe Type 2 diabetes can still be placed in remission for years or even decades.
It all depends upon wanting it and not being unlucky. But Dr David Unwin a GP in Southport (UK) has a remission rate of over 50% for his newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetics. He just encourages them to eat Low Carbohydrate!

I myself am only 3 yrs in remission from Type 2 diabetes, but many members are much longer in remission.

straygoat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it's reversible, not curable but can be held back by avoiding the wrong foods.
Try using Cauliflower rice, as a substitute, it works pretty well. Plenty of low carb curry recipes, even low carb naans etc. Some you may like some you won't. It's just a case of trial and error.
It's a shame about the meats, avocados, Mayo, bacon, oily fish and butter. But if you go low carb, your tastes WILL change. You may find them more acceptable.
Lentils and beans, you need to test with a meter to know your reaction to them, most can't cope, but you may be able to, even if a reduced portion size.
Fruit is one to avoid if possible, Berries are ok with moderation.
I get on very well with Celariac chips, cut the size of chip shop chips, par boiled for 5 mins, change the water and reboil for 2 - 3 mins, this removes the stronger flavour, coated in olive oil salt pepper and a sprinkle of paprika, cooked in oven or air fried. For me Sausage egg and chips, or beefburger, or even with steak and mushrooms. The point is they are pretty good, and you can use them how you would before.
Google any food you like, and add Keto or low carb, you'll get a myriad of recipes to try.
It may sound daft, but a pre diabetic diagnosis, (although it is not an actual condition), may turn out to be the best thing that has happened for you. It probably sounds stupid to you at the moment, but as your health improves going forward, you will get it.

Wow, it is even worse than I thought! :(

The meats is a combination of not liking (lamb), not wanting to eat mammals (I'd quit eating birds and fish too, but ... fresh air diet!), and trying to avoid the various cancers associated with red meat. So a change with those is not on the cards, unfortunately.

Googling + keto is good advice, thanks.

Yes! Right now, it seems like a one-way ticket to depression and poor health. I'm in that stage of facing a most inconvenient truth, which I hope will pass.

straygoat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about chickpeas? I saw they were ok, but now i'm not so sure. Chickpea curry is at least a start.

straygoat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What cancers do you think are caused by red meat, i know the vegetarian society like that line.
as an alternative view.

Linked to stomach and bowel cancers isn't it? Especially stuff like bacon. I don't think that's come from a vegetarian agenda ... remember seeing scientists talking about it on the news.

I don't actually like it that much, anyway. Always hated lamb, not keen on beef ... a burger just about ok, but a steak, nah not for me. I used to like pork before I stopped eating pigs, though.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think what would you eat if you were a caveman, no farming, just what is available within your vicinity. That is what humans evolved to eat. Carbohydrates only available in late summer early autumn, this would be stored as body fat, to keep you alive during winter when food would be scarce. whatever science tells us, has an agenda behind it. Whichever side, he who pays the piper calls the tune.

• Agree
Reactions: MissMuffett

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
How about chickpeas? I saw they were ok, but now i'm not so sure. Chickpea curry is at least a start.
Because you are only prediabetic, most things will be OK for you if you can manage to only eat the higher Glycaemic Index and higher Glycaemic Load food in small quantities.
For example breakfast is usually a heavy carbohydrate meal and for most people it is eaten at the time when they are most carbohydrate sensitive.
Unfortunately for you, the best breakfast for a T2 Diabetic is probably eggs, but cheddar cheese would also be good.

You could eat some cheese with some nuts and a few berries . Most of us would eat full fat Greek Yogurt rather than the cheese with those, but I often eat them with vintage cheddar.

If you can eat a Celeriac version of chips or roast potato and a Cauliflower version of rice then that alone could make inroads into you blood Glucose figures. There are lots of vegetarians doing Low Carb and even some Vegans, so it should be possible for you too.
Take a look at the low carb veg, nuts, fruit listed at www.dietdoctor.com or google them individually.
(UK site may mention Fibre but they already have subtracted that from the total carbohydrate figure, but US sites don't subtract Fiber (no e the different spelling,) so that then need to be subtracted from their Carbohydrate numbers. You can completely ignore any numbers saying '.... of which Sugars'
This is because many starchy foods have a higher GI than does table sugar!

straygoat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think what would you eat if you were a caveman, no farming, just what is available within your vicinity. That is what humans evolved to eat. Carbohydrates only available in late summer early autumn, this would be stored as body fat, to keep you alive during winter when food would be scarce. whatever science tells us, has an agenda behind it. Whichever side, he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Well I don't think it is as simple as that. We'd be far more active for a start and would we have even made it this far without farming? There's agendas on both sides, for sure.
Ultimately, we are products of our times. As a caveman, I might have been ok with it and have a taste for it ... but not as a 21st century desk jockey.

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

straygoat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Because you are only prediabetic, most things will be OK for you if you can manage to only eat the higher Glycaemic Index and higher Glycaemic Load food in small quantities.
For example breakfast is usually a heavy carbohydrate meal and for most people it is eaten at the time when they are most carbohydrate sensitive.
Unfortunately for you, the best breakfast for a T2 Diabetic is probably eggs, but cheddar cheese would also be good.

You could eat some cheese with some nuts and a few berries . Most of us would eat full fat Greek Yogurt rather than the cheese with those, but I often eat them with vintage cheddar.

If you can eat a Celeriac version of chips or roast potato and a Cauliflower version of rice then that alone could make inroads into you blood Glucose figures. There are lots of vegetarians doing Low Carb and even some Vegans, so it should be possible for you too.
Take a look at the low carb veg, nuts, fruit listed at www.dietdoctor.com or google them individually.
(UK site may mention Fibre but they already have subtracted that from the total carbohydrate figure, but US sites don't subtract Fiber (no e the different spelling,) so that then need to be subtracted from their Carbohydrate numbers. You can completely ignore any numbers saying '.... of which Sugars'
This is because many starchy foods have a higher GI than does table sugar!

Thanks. See, i don't even know what numbers I should be looking to aim for. Had very little info so far. I need to spend more time looking into it all.

In a bit of a denial/don't want to look at it stage!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Linked to stomach and bowel cancers isn't it? Especially stuff like bacon. I don't think that's come from a vegetarian agenda ... remember seeing scientists talking about it on the news.

I don't actually like it that much, anyway. Always hated lamb, not keen on beef ... a burger just about ok, but a steak, nah not for me. I used to like pork before I stopped eating pigs, though.

Yes, Vegetarian scientists funded by vegetarian organisations have found a link between highly processed red meat and certain cancers. But (and it's a big but).
They gave no evidence that whole meat gave the same problems and indeed many people think that their non-red meat eaters were probably self selected as more health conscious than the processed red meat eaters - hot dogs and the like, rather than steak or pork chop eaters. So that the differences for thae average person have been exaggerated.

straygoat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Vegetarian scientists funded by vegetarian organisations have found a link between highly processed red meat and certain cancers. But (and it's a big but).
They gave no evidence that whole meat gave the same problems and indeed many people think that their non-red meat eaters were probably self selected as more health conscious than the processed red meat eaters - hot dogs and the like, rather than steak or pork chop eaters. So that the differences for thae average person have been exaggerated.
Ok, well I'm not well-informed enough to argue for or against. For me personally, it's a no-go for a variety of reasons. If it wasn't for the fact I'm so limited on diet/enjoyment of food, I'd go vegan or vegetarian.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think of any food, and you will find somewhere a scientist saying it's bad for you. What did your parents eat 40 to 50 years ago, prior to the low fat nonsense. every food stuff is a target to someone. Eat how your ancestors ate and you will be fine. Get a meter, and test immediately before eating and 2 hours after. If the rise is less than 2 mmol. Then that meal was fine for you. Your meter will never lie, and has no agenda so you can trust it. It may even show that you only need to alter a few items you normally eat. As pre diabetic you only need a slight improvement, Much less than those of us who are diabetic.