metformin and foot pain

theonlysbf

Recently been diagnose as a T2 DN started me on 500 mg metformin then upped to 1000mg, since I have started the medication, I have been getting pain in the balls of my feet, I have searched everywhere cant find any link to foot pain with this medication, anyone else got the same issue. I am low carbing.

Really trying with the BG levels I seem to have got some sort of control, started at 14 fasting but can't get them under about the 8 level in the morning and 10 after meals

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi theonlysbf.

Foot pain can be Diabetes related or it could also be down to something like Gout. If you are concerned you should discuss it with your GP.

Known side effects of Metformin.
Anorexia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea (usually transient), abdominal pain, taste disturbance, rarely lactic acidosis (withdraw treatment), decreased vitamin-B12 absorption, erythema, pruritus and urticaria; hepatitis also reported

Here is a link to information about the Diabetic foot. There are other links as well to the complications:
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000922/

Hope that helps.
Ken.

Trinkwasser

Podiatrist would be a good start.

My suspicion is that you may have had the start of peripheral neuropathy, and now your BG is coming down the half-killed nerves are waking up and starting to transmit pain again, not uncommon and should wear off in time.

300 - 600mg Alpha Lipoic Acid and 500 - 1000 mg Evening Primrose Oil is one possible protocol for improving the nerve healing, along with keeping your BG below 8 or so. But I'd get a medical opinion in case it's something unrelated. Prolonged high BG can affect connective tissue and joints too.

• Agree
Reactions: ziggy_w
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recently been diagnose as a T2 DN started me on 500 mg metformin then upped to 1000mg, since I have started the medication, I have been getting pain in the balls of my feet, I have searched everywhere cant find any link to foot pain with this medication, anyone else got the same issue. I am low carbing.

Really trying with the BG levels I seem to have got some sort of control, started at 14 fasting but can't get them under about the 8 level in the morning and 10 after meals
Omg, I just saw this. I have the same exact problem in addition to my feet hurting like crazy. The bottom are extremely sensitive especially if I don't wear shoes.

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The R- alpha lipoic acid is a good shout. I'm taking it 3 times daily and it has helped lessen the discomfort from my feet (Peripheral Neuropathy)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Omg, I just saw this. I have the same exact problem in addition to my feet hurting like crazy. The bottom are extremely sensitive especially if I don't wear shoes.
The thread you are on was created in 2009. I doubt youll get a reply from any of the original posters.
You could start a new thread and see if you can get some up to date responses

MickOBrien

My feet are tingling all the time . My podiatrist does not think I have nerve damage at the moment .
can anyone recommend a foot massager to relieve the pain.
They range from £100 to over £400 so do not want to waste money
Thanks in advance