moving home

hellboy

i am 21 22 in a month and my boyfriend has asked my to move in with him and some friends a house share thing which i do want to do but it worries me a bit too but is not him that worries me he nos all about my diabetes and is really understanding and has taken it up really well its the friends i am worried about want should i do help me out (i still live at home ever had a fella want to move in with me before) wat should i do

dragongirl

Hi hellboy

Lots of questions there. Obviously changing homes is a risk whoever you move in with and whether or not you have DB. So take that bit of 'normal' anxiety out of the equation.

Then - what about writing down all the worries you have about what might go wrong with your particular moving plans, or those that might need some planning ahead to solve. Then you could see which ones people here might help you with.

I mean, would you be buying joint food? That would need to allow for any special dietary requirements you have.
Is it about them seeing you inject? Would you have somewhere private?
Or is it about maybe having a hypo in public or feeling different?
Perhaps managing without being at home even?!

You need to sort out exactly what the worry is and then get it out on the table to be looked at rationally. They say that FEAR stands for False Evidence Appearing Real - in other words if there turns out to be nothing to worry about you can move in fearlessly, if that's what you want. If it's NOT a false worry, then take action and find a way to sort out the potential problem areas. If that's related to DB then someone here may have some advice that will help. Probably not me as I'm type 2.

Hope that helps - taking risks is what makes life fun. And you can always move out again. It's not as if you'd be in Timbuctoo!!
DG

hellboy

thanks for the advise it not us now it just me and my partner now less of a worry sort of it just the idea really of going out into the big wide world on my own no mum to watch over me now my partner is so lovely he is understanding and he has seen me on all side hi low and normal well not normal coz i am not never will be but he just says i am his special girl and he hopes i stay the same and there was talk resently about kids he wants to have them with me no one has before it was a shock i nearly cried i am now going to see if i can have kids due to problems as a child that i was told i could not have them i am babbling now

sugar2

He sounds lovely! Good luck with the move...hope you will be really happy.

If you do decide to have kids, make sure that you talk to your diabetic clinic, as they can put you in touch with a diabetic midwife...who ill become your "best friend" during pregnancy.

I just want to write all the Mumsy kind of things about staying safe etc...but it sounds like you will be fine. I would enjoy your time together, before rushing into babies straight away...because when they arrive, bye bye life as you know it!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Go for it, your only young once, Im guessing there is a bed to go back to at home if it all goes Pete Tong :D

But, if you are sure about getting pregnant you will have to make sure your bg levels are well controlled and speak to your DN about it before you take any chances.

Besides as I said before you are only young and have plenty of time to start a family, when you live with someone you really find out about them :shock: :D I would enjoy your relationship for a year or two without the worry of babies to get in the way of things and if your still solid in a year or two have a rethink then.

Best of luck whatever you decide :)

hellboy

thanks for the tips and i will be care full and i do have a bed to go back to if any thing goes wrong although i am 22 mum still says i am her little middle girl (i am the middle child) she is happy i am moving on but scared too coz i am not going to be at home to keep an eye on me but i do not need it any more i am a big girl in more ways than one but the only things that worry me are not about my diabetes it is my other health issues that i suddenly popping not too bad so far but i am going for a scan in a week or so to see about my chest just by my diafram wen i eat or drink even a mouth full it swells up and hurts it is worrying me and my partner i am babbling again and my spelling is bad can you tell i failed english lol

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
I'm going to put a spanner in the works and say wait.

i have lived with boyfriends and friends before and belive me it's not all plain sailing....as most things aren't in this life.
9 months is certainly no length of time to truly know someone one long enough to move in with them.
i know that you want your own space and time to be together but to be honest living with other people will just make the whole situation harder because you won't have any time alone together and when there are more than 2 people making mess and sharing a small space things can get a little tense.
you should just enjoy the time you have to just be yourself, getting to know each other better and then maybe after another 9 months or so why not find somewhere to rent together so it is just you two.
i've been living with my current boyfriend for about 7 months now and we get on great but we only moved in after nearly 2 years together and trust me there are still moments when i wonder what the hell we are doing :lol:
before that i lived with my friend and he stayed over a few times a week which is a great way to start because then you still have your own space.

if you do decide to go for it then i wish you the best of luck.
i wasnt trying to sound like the voice of doom just merely pointing out that the romance of it all sometimes isnt what it's cracked up to be.

as for your diabetes.....getting back to the matter in hand. as long as you all decide boundaries with regards to food etc and where your insulin is kept etc and you tell them that you need to keep things in case of hypos and what to do if your boyfriend isnt there when you are low then it should go ok.

Good Luck and let us know what happens xx