Must I Do As I'm Told ???

Henry_Sugar

Hello everyone :wink:

Just a bit of background info, I'm a type1 Diabetic taking Humalog & Lantus insulin. I live in Staffordshire in England 8)

Yesterday I received a letter from my Doctor stating that "in accordance with local NHS guidelines" that I must now use the GlucoRx Nexus meter. Also my repeat prescription had ALREADY been changed to GlucoRx lancets n strips.

Well I understand that the NHS wishes to cut costs & that the GlucoRx strips are cheaper & I have no problem with that at all.

After checking the review of said meter (http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose ... meter.html) I became very worried to read some of the comments posted :oops:

Now bottom line I have only recently been changed to the Lantus insulin & am having some issues getting my blood lvls correct so for the moment it's a challenging time for me. The last thing I need right now is a inferior blood meter to test my blood :twisted:

Do I have ANY say is this matter? Is there anything I can do so I can continue to use my old blood meter ?

The other strange thing is from this link below, I was looking for staffordshire NHS guidelines & found this :-

http://www.stokeccg.nhs.uk/news/diabete ... trent-758/

Right at the bottom of the page it states the meter that has been picked is the WaveSense Jazz ????

Many thanks to anybody taking the time to reply...... :thumbup:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I use the GlucoRX and it's pretty good. Some say it reads a little high, others differ. There isn't a single meter on the market that is 100% accurate. It's more important to look for trends rather than individual readings.
The only reason I don't really like the GlucoRX is that it is not compatible with a Mac, only Windows. I have a Mac and need to download readings for my LGV license. I have to borrow a computer to do this. Apart from that, the meter itself is fine. I also have to agree with the NHS trying to standardise equipment and if the strips are cheaper, it makes sense.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mr Happy

Standardisation is all well and good until they have the monopoly and reduce quality or increase price. Could they not introduce legislation from a point in time whereby all test strips are standard...

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I can understand a GP wanting to standardise home blood testing and at my GP's all those wishing to have 'free' supplies and clinical reviews will only get scripts for the Aviva Nano meter from Accuchek as the meter will 'talk' to the DN's computer direct via the infra red ports on meter and computer, thus making appointments run smoother and faster.

Henry_Sugar

@ mo1905

I glad that your happy with the meter, but some of those comments posted on the review are v v concerning. BTW, obviously times have changed but I thought type1 Diabetics couldn't drive lorries ??

@ Mr Happy

I agree with your point but it looks like different NHS authorities are using different blood meters ?

@Hobs

Could I pls ask which NHS authority you come under ?

Thank you all for your replies :thumbup:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's true no meter is 100% accurate, but if you are finding things difficult at the moment and would feel better using a familiar meter, I'd say tell your doctor. He does have the right to prescrbe anything he believes is right for a patient. If that doesn't work Contact the Diabetes UK careline. They can often help. [can't remember the number so Google it.
Hana

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
@Henry, T1's can drive lorries as long as they have their condition under comtrol. It involves a medical annually and providing 3 months worth of downloadable BG test results. As for the meter, I can only speak from experience and I've never had a problem with it. They are all tested to certain tolerencies so if it was wildy wrong, it would not be on the market. I guess there may be meters that are better, and worse.
I quite like the idea of possibly standardising strips rather than meters though. We may not like it but the NHS is not a bottomless pit !

Henry_Sugar

thanks Hanadr I will google it :thumbup: I was thinking of giving my GP I letter saying what you stated as a last resort.

Last year I spent Xmas in hospital with ketonitis, I'd picked up a bug & in the end couldn't hold any food down, which in turn meant my blood lvls went haywire :oops: When I got out I was ok for month but then suffered from extreme hypos in the night, rolling on the floor with slurred speech & unable to move properly :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: The worst thing was I wasn't getting ANY signs that a hypo was on it's way, no double vision or pins n needles in my head for example.

Since then I've been on Lantus n have had no hypos but my blood has been (at times) 1.8 - 2.8 n still no hypo signs. So the last thing I need right now is using a blood meter that may well be inferior to my present one.

Henry_Sugar

@ mo1905

So times HAVE indeed changed :shock: Good for you, hope the reading stay good & you keep that job !!!

Anybody now if Type1's are still banned from driving trains or flying planes ??

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks Henry. And for the record, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be allowed to keep the meter you're used to. I'm just saying I think it's OK, however, I've nothing to compare it with. Good luck with keeping your meter. I think the trick is to ask very politely and explain that a new meter would possibly upset your good regime and you've seen some bad reviews. Some here think it's our right to demand things, I usually find this doesn't work lol !

Henry_Sugar

@mo1905

Well that was the whole idea of this thread. In a ideal world I can hopefully run both meters for a while n see how much difference there is, of course there maybe none. I'm not the greatest fan of my practice, as normal most (but not) of the reception staff think they are WAY WAY more important than they are. I rarely get to see a doctor set in the practice it's normally a locum and I always get the impression I'm a number not a name. Saying that the nurse who helps me with my condition is excellent 8)

IF I do test both meters for a time and there is a big difference, but they still won't help me then things will change a bit :twisted:

I went to school with a guy who writes with the local paper, & they are having a couple of "drop-in" sessions to show people how to use the new machine. Maybe I will give anybody going to the sessions a copy of my findings :wink:

hopefully NONE of that will be necessary :thumbup:

Mr Happy

Absolutely, its the strips I suggest should be standardised, in a similar way to what they are trying with mobile phone chargers. People could then purchase a pump to suit their needs and the mass production of standardised strips should make them even cheaper. Its the future!

apples-mum

@ henry-sugar my daughters dsn told her she can now fly a commercial plane but still not join the raf. Don't know about trains tho'! :)

Henry_Sugar

apples-mum said:
@ henry-sugar my daughters dsn told her she can now fly a commercial plane but still not join the raf. Don't know about trains tho'! :)

Thxs for the answer, that trucker question had just got me thinking is all... :crazy:

Hope it all works out well for your daughter 8)

Henry_Sugar

well I picked up the new meter today!!!! I will run them together for a couple of weeks n see what's what :wink:

I will post my results here on the off chance somebody is interested 8)

Henry_Sugar

As stated above I have ran both meters side by side for a while. The GlucoRx is a brick of a size meter and on many occasions I had to re-test because the strip wasn't able to calculate from the blood sample. Results were fairly equal, apart from one occasion.

My blood had tested high about 15.0 so I thought why on earth is that ? So I re-tested from the same prick point, next reading? 17.4 :shock: so I did it again 20.3 :shock: :shock: :shock: Why on earth that was I have no idea :oops:

Since then my DN has started me carb counting & I'm using the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert which quite simple is brilliant 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would contact the Careline of diabetes UK.[look on their website for the number] They have issues with people's treatment and care being changed without consultation. So do I. It's not right and if tthere are rules against doing that DUK will know them. I find the careline helpful, despite the fact that I don't agree with all of DUK dietary advice.
Hana

alaska

I'm type 1 and wonder how I'll feel if I get switched onto a particular meter.

As it happens, I've used the GlucoRx and the problem I'd have over my OneTouch Verio IQ is that often I need to test out and about. The Verio IQ has a case that makes this pretty easy to do without any kind of table or shelf. If I had a GlucoRx (which doesn't have a nifty case), I'd be struggling a bit to find places to do a blood test and would likely have to squat on the floor of shopping centres and supermarkets if I felt my levels were going a bit low. If that puts me off testing sometimes it could therefore increase the chance of possibly severe hypos occurring.

In terms of readings of 15, 17.4 and 20.3, this alone is not unusual. Meters are meant to be within 20% accuracy 90-odd per cent of the time. So if your actual result would clinically be tested at 17.5 say, then all readings would actually be within the specified accuracy range.

I know it can be annoying as 1 unit too many as a possible result can easily be the difference between a normal sugar level and a hypo.

In terms of hypo symptoms, I've found my symptoms have evolved over time. I used to get a tingling tongue often as a child. Then I had bad hypo awareness around early adulthood. Now in my thirties I tend to get an urge to bite the inside of my mouth, develop teary eyes and start yawning.

I think I'd be inclined to test a bit more often each day (unless you're testing 8+ times a day already) and start writing down any symptoms you do get.

There may be some symptoms (difficulty concentrating, feeling slightly more anxious, getting frustrated etc) that you may at the moment be taking for granted because they're not the ones you've been used to depending on.

All the best
Ed

Liz King

Hiya Henry,

Approx 9mnths ago my GP changed me to a wavesense jazz tester as the strips were cheaper. However, the tester could not cope at all with temperature changes - the amount of times during the winter having to sit in the car warming the meter up, or when going for a run again having to warm it up first (armpits and groin proved most effective - in case you where wondering!) not good! Also during the summer left tester in hotel room out of sunlight, with curtains drawn - this time too warm!!

I raised the subject @ 6mnth review with consultant, apparently she had had many complaints from various people and therefore was happy to redirect GP to prescribe alternative strips for a new meter - all has been fine since. However, the GP said he was not aware of any problems so I think you should give your consultant or diabetic nurse a ring/email for support.