ND done, 5:2 fast didnt work now ND with a twist

Defren

Re: A Geordie trying the Newcastle Diet

andrewk said:
Defren said:
To be honest I am not sure what has to happen for me to be truly happy, but that would be a really good start.

I think I'd be truly happy if I could overcome the Dawn Phenomenon problem and get my fasting BG (about 6.7) down to the same level as my bedtime BG (about 5.2).

Andrew

My fasting today was 5.2, I have only ever been in the 5's for FBG twice before, so these figures are really impressive. I knew they would go down, everyone who has done the ND has had improved results, but I honestly didn't think they would after only three days. So far I really am impressed with this diet. The best thing is, I don't feel hungry between meals, which really is a huge bonus. I think it would be impossible if you were hungry a lot of the time.

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)

Defren said:
My fasting today was 5.2, I have only ever been in the 5's for FBG twice before, so these figures are really impressive.

Congratulations - very impressive.

I had a couple of 5.0s and a 4.7 in September 11 - but at the time, I was on a low carb diet and 4x500mg metformin plus both glimepiride & sitagliptin. Now, I've dropped all the medication and I'm hoping that I can get well under 6.0 if I stick to the Newcastle diet.

Andrew

Defren

andrewk said:
Defren said:
My fasting today was 5.2, I have only ever been in the 5's for FBG twice before, so these figures are really impressive.

Congratulations - very impressive.

I had a couple of 5.0s and a 4.7 in September 11 - but at the time, I was on a low carb diet and 4x500mg metformin plus both glimepiride & sitagliptin. Now, I've dropped all the medication and I'm hoping that I can get well under 6.0 if I stick to the Newcastle diet.

Andrew

I wish you all the luck in the world, but don't think you'll need it. My weight is dropping just like my figures. I am looking at a longer plan at the moment. I think I will probably see what my figures are like at the end of this, and then try to maintain by doing a week of the ND each month if that's what it takes to keep my BG down. It may not be needed, but I was on 20g of carbs a day before the ND and since I started it my figures have been so much better, if I can keep them that way all the better. I am even now only three days in, looking towards when I come off the diet, as to how I am going to manage solid food again in relation to low BG. I really do think the ND is a way of getting real control of our BG, it's the after diet management that I am looking at now, after all, it's no good doing this then allowing your hard won lower figures to rise again, so I need a plan for post diet.

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)

5.9 this morning :) :)

Agreed - I hope not to need the luck. I've been on a low-carb diet (Atkins) for quite some but my weight loss flattened off, largely due I think to excessive snacking on cheese. At my last annual review (July 11) my HBA1C was 8.9 and, as I was on the max metformin, glimepiride and sitagliptin my GP started muttering about injecting insulin. After that, I decided that this diabetes nonesense was already interfering in my life on an altogether too great a scale, so I must do something about it.

During July 11, I happened across Prof Roy Taylor's report on the Newcastle study and after reading that, you really have no option - do you? For a Type 2 diabetic, the research results mandate that you give it a go. As the diet looked kind of hard to maintain, I pondered for a while about whether a low-carb even more ketogenic diet (Atkins induction phase) would have the same effect. I did try that from end-July onwards. I dropped the glimepiride and Sitagliptin because I started getting the odd hypo. Altogether, I lost about 3.5 stones between then and the beginning of April this year. In March, I reduced the metformins to 2x500mg per day and all continued to go well. My BGs were pretty much normal apart from a higher fasting level around 6.7 due to Dawn Phenomenon (probably insufficient basal insulin production).

On April Fools day, I decided to have a go at dropping the last of the medication. Over the next couple of weeks, all my BG readings rose a little and it was that which eventually spurred me on to the Newcastle style hypo-caloric diet. FWIW, I'm following the diet closely but using Tesco meal replacement shakes (200cals when made with semi-skimmedd milk) - £4 per tin for 12 meals - cheaper than eating!!

I agree with your thoughts that post-diet is crucial. My current plan at the end of week 8, if all goes well, is to migrate onto Atkins again - without the excessive cheese and pate consumption - and move through the phases to maintenance when I get back to a fully normal weight. Hopefully that should maintain normal blood glucose too.

Andrew

louiseb

tree-peony said:
do you still have to do low carb Louise, or can you just eat sensibly?

I eat a reduced carb diet but I wouldnt say very low carb diet.
I eat around 90g carb per day this works for me but of course wont work for everyone.

Defren

Thursday April 26 - day 4

Lunch
Pre BG 5.0 + 2 hours 5.5

Dinner
Pre BG 4.7 + 2 hours 5.4

Supper 4.8 + 2 hours 4.7

Fluid
Water 4L
Tea - black 2 cups

Exercise
40 minutes on the treadmill. I went into the next village today and had a little walk around, not for long, but more than I have in months/years.

Verdict after day 4.

I have had a headache today, but I do suffer from migraine, and this is in the place over my right eye where it usually happens, so I am not associating it with the diet. Had more shakes arrive so now have much more variety which has made this easier. Today, I went out into the next village along, I have not been out alone in I don't know how long, it was initially quite a scary proposition as I had no idea how I would feel and if I would mange alright. Luckily I do know that where I was going has a bench, and if it meant sitting in the rain for five minutes then so be it. However, I managed a short walk and a wander around the village co-op. This has been a HUGE ego boost for me, I got home feeling so high and pleased with myself, the feeling of achievement was overwhelming. Tomorrow I have the diabetes clinic, and I plan going there alone as well.

I had a really, really hard time this evening. Yesterday my daughter asked if I would make them chicken curry for dinner tonight, I truly thought I would be alright, I wasn't! The smell actually made my stomach growl, and for the very first time, since starting the diet I wanted to drop the whole idea and eat chicken curry. I didn't give in, but my elder daughter saw I was really wobbling, and as soon as the girls had finished dinner she whipped the plates out of the dining room, washed, dried and put them all away. She also said that she had spoken to her sister and they have agreed that they won't ask me to make anything home made like that again, until I am done with the diet. I can cook regular meals no problem as I did Monday, Tuesday and yesterday, but for whatever reason, tonight was really hard. It could be that curry (my own home made) was once a real favourite, but I have not touched it or made it since diagnosis.

One other thing that cheered me up, last year I bought a vest top, well two actually, and I accidentally picked up the wrong size. They were 2 sizes smaller than I took then, so wouldn't fit at all. Even being elasticated they were stretched to their limit. For my trip out today, I tried one on, and they now fit perfectly, no stretching at all. I could have cried with pure joy that I am finally being able to wear some of the smaller sized clothing I have had in some cases for years. Some are not going to fit again, unless the weight really drops, but I was so pleased to be able to get into that vest top.

All in all an absolutely brilliant day for me, minus chicken curry.

[edit to add] +2 supper BG and that I have done and extra 5 mins on the treadmill and will definitely be doing another five so have added it even though it's not done as of typing. I also have to add, I just can't believe all these fours, as much as I have seen them with my own eyes on my meter, I am sure I am dreaming. I have never had results like today. Amazed, and thrilled to bits.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.

Well done you!! :thumbup: That MUST have been hard resisting the curry BUT you kept strong!! :D and the BG's are excellent and the weight loss and increased exercise tolerance!! Brilliant! x

Defren

Paul1976 said:
Well done you!! :thumbup: That MUST have been hard resisting the curry BUT you kept strong!! :D and the BG's are excellent and the weight loss and increased exercise tolerance!! Brilliant! x

Thank you Paul. I can't tell you how hard it was. I am so, so thankful that my BG and controlling my BG is such an obsession with me. I honestly believe if I wasn't so **** determined to take control of this I would have caved. The smell made my stomach clench and I just kept thinking one little bit of chicken won't hurt, just one. The problem is, one little bit would have hurt and I wouldn't have been able to say at the end of this that I did it properly. When the plates vanished out of the dining room, I can't tell you the feeling of absolute relief.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done Defren, brilliant news about the 4s. Good luck at the clinic to-day.

Defren

catza said:

Thank you, I am sure it's all going to be fun - not. It's my first visit, and not being one who can keep my mouth shut, if I am frog marched out I will let you know. :lol:

claymic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

well done Def...good luck with your appointment..let us know x

Defren

claymic said:
well done Def...good luck with your appointment..let us know x

Will do. It's at 3:30 so a couple of hours yet. I am shining up my boxing gloves :lol:

Defren

tree-peony said:
:twisted:

good luck!

Thanks. I need more luck visiting the Diabetic clinic than I ever did starting this diet :lol:

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Defren said:
catza said:

Thank you, I am sure it's all going to be fun - not. It's my first visit, and not being one who can keep my mouth shut, if I am frog marched out I will let you know. :lol:
Just play it cagey. :D

Westminster diet = " I cut down the amount I eat".

Self test? = "Well when I think I need to"

Self medication? = "Only my normal heath supplements

any criticism = my figures speak for them selves and I feel better than I have in years by doing it my way" This last reply can be reinforced by your bursting into song and tap dancing out of the clinic whilst scattering used strips as you go.
girl_haha.gif

Defren

Well.. I wasn't frog marched out, infact

My head is still in the clouds... I went into the clinic and it was my GP doing the clinic not a nurse, first big sigh of relief. He looked at me and he couldn't speak with surprise as I had walked in and not been in the wheelchair. He sat me down and asked what I had done. I told him, I had gone against everything he advised me to. I was testing, and was low carbing. He gave me the biggest smile and said "thank God you researched". I told him the absolute truth about everything, except that I am on the Newcastle Diet. I did ask him if he would support me if I did it, he has promised to research it, and consider it, but my control is so good, why would I want to do it? - OOPS :lolno: I was so shocked that he is fully behind the low carb Atkins approach, to the point he is trying to secure funding to trial low carbs in diabetics, sadly he is not hopeful. He weighed me (weight a tightly guarded secret until my weekly weigh in on my ND in the weight loss forum). :p I just blurted out that as I had done so well would he now prescribe strips? He said YES! They don't do the SD Codefree on the NHS so I am getting a brand spanking mew meter. He asked me how many strips I use a day, and I told him, he will cover all my strips as long as I promise to cut down the testing in a couple of months if my next HbA1c is below 6, I agreed. No change in medication, and no clinic visits for two months - YIPEE!!

Defren

Friday April 27 - day 5

Lunch
Pre BG 5.0 + 2 hours 5.5

Dinner
Pre BG 4.7 + 2 hours 5.3

Supper 4.8 + 2 hours 5.5

Fluid
Water 4L
Tea - black 2 cups

Exercise

Manic day today, so have only managed 15 minutes on the treadmill. I want to do the other 15, so will try to squeeze them all in, I will edit as needed. Also, again, another walk around the next village as I went to the clinic, which I have already posted about.

Verdict after day 5

To be honest I really am finding this a breeze, a friend called today and I was telling her about it, and she asked how I was dealing with the hunger between shakes. The honest truth is, I don't have any. It's now 10:10pm and I have just sat down and am having my supper shake. The lack of hunger between meals, I think has to be the strangest thing for me, I really did think I would suffer. My BG's are almost identical to yesterday, that could be down to lack of exercise, or as much as I have been doing, perhaps a few nerves about going to the clinic. It could be of course that with the 4's and taking Metformin, that's as low as I can go. The one huge difference today is I had my first 4 FBG with a 4.9. Headache eased today, so I am now as certain as I can be it wasn't diet related, just a regular headache. While I really am looking forward to having regular meals, my determination to see this to the bitter end is as strong as ever. Almost a week down and it's passed really well. All in all as far as I am concerned, this diet is amazing. It has taken my BG down, and for me that was and is the most important thing of all. Nothing else matters. I want to live as long and as healthy a life as I possibly can, and this is helping. People are concerned about very low calorie diets such as these, and it's not something I personally would contemplate for weight loss alone, but for the reasons of health I will see this through, and then I will know if this is successful.

[edit to add] supper +2 and also I have done another 5 mins on the treadmill, I am waiting for a call from a friend in California, so could get more done. Why don't these Americans realise there is and 8 hour time difference between here and Cali? :lol: