Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)
Re: A Geordie trying the Newcastle Diet

Jeannemum said:
My concern is for anyone who has this sort of loss so quickly. The ND sounds like a fabulous idea that can give very positive results, but the way you are losing weight is not good at all.

You need to bear in mind, I think, that defren is using Atkins shakes which are very low carb. It's more like a low calory version of the Atkins diet, so defren will be well into ketosis and most of the weight loss will be body fat.

I've been on a Newcastle "style" diet for 9 days now using Tesco shakes (but now use soya milk to reduce the carbs a bit). I have lost 8 lbs so far which I think is fine but, like defren, I am sure that rate of loss will fall as time goes by. For a short period of time, I don't think that a starvation diet (for that is what this is) will do anyone harm.

This isn't actually the first time that I've been on a diet of mainly meal replacement shakes. A friend and I did it as an experiment in my mid-30s to try to lose weight quickly at the start of the cricket season. We both had nothing other than shakes (might have been Slimfast - not sure) for a complete week and we both lost about 10lb. It didn't do me any harm then, but it didn't cure my diabetes either - as I didn't have it then. Maybe if I had repeated it every 5 years, I wouldn't have Type 2 now.

Andrew

Defren

andrewk said:
Jeannemum said:
My concern is for anyone who has this sort of loss so quickly. The ND sounds like a fabulous idea that can give very positive results, but the way you are losing weight is not good at all.

You need to bear in mind, I think, that defren is using Atkins shakes which are very low carb. It's more like a low calory version of the Atkins diet, so defren will be well into ketosis and most of the weight loss will be body fat.

I've been on a Newcastle "style" diet for 9 days now using Tesco shakes (but now use soya milk to reduce the carbs a bit). I have lost 8 lbs so far which I think is fine but, like defren, I am sure that rate of loss will fall as time goes by. For a short period of time, I don't think that a starvation diet (for that is what this is) will do anyone harm.

This isn't actually the first time that I've been on a diet of mainly meal replacement shakes. A friend and I did it as an experiment in my mid-30s to try to lose weight quickly at the start of the cricket season. We both had nothing other than shakes (might have been Slimfast - not sure) for a complete week and we both lost about 10lb. It didn't do me any harm then, but it didn't cure my diabetes either - as I didn't have it then. Maybe if I had repeated it every 5 years, I wouldn't have Type 2 now.

Andrew

Thank you Andrew. Sadly my success and weight loss has broken the friendship I shared with Jeanne, and she has removed me as a friend from another site we use. Still, for me, I am exceptionally proud and have good BG control which is and will remain my aim. If people can't accept my reasons for doing this, and/or my success then all I can say is it's sad. But onwards and downwards.

I thank you for posting your story, it shows that even with drastic weight loss, we are still around to tell the tale. Thank you for your unwavering support. Jo.

[edit to add] I have not checked my ketostix for a while, but I did last night. Even with my urine exceptionally diluted due to the amount of fluid I drink, I did get a deep purple, first time ever. So yes, very much into ketosis and even my stick agrees now :D

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Defren I can understand Jeannemum's reservations about your high level weight loss that was why I said I will be interested in what happens next week.

I would hope that this weeks figure will not be exceeded as I think even I shall be posting warnings if that happens but, as you say, you are a grown woman and I am certain you would not put your health at risk by continuing to follow such a radical diet if you thought that was the case.

Defren

catza said:
Defren I can understand Jeannemum's reservations about your high level weight loss that was why I said I will be interested in what happens next week.

I would hope that this weeks figure will not be exceeded as I think even I shall be posting warnings if that happens but, as you say, you are a grown woman and I am certain you would not put your health at risk by continuing to follow such a radical diet if you thought that was the case.

No I wouldn't. I have children that need me here, and will not jeopardise my health for their sake as well as my own. I had no idea I would loose this much weight, yes, I weighed myself every other day, so had an idea, but couldn't have guessed when I started this it would be so dramatic. I said in one of my opening posts, that I would add veg if I had problems, and if they continued I would stop the diet.

I will admit that I was shocked by certain comments made on my weight loss, and I won't deny it hurt and made me bl**dy angry initially. I would have preferred no comments opposed to negative, as I did ask in my first post for no negativity. I am not a child, but an educated middle aged woman, who read and researched and gave this a great deal of thought beforehand. Just as with only a week into the eight week diet I am looking at management plans, once I am done.

Catza, I do appreciate the support you have shown me, so this is not aimed at you, but I point blank refuse to defend my decisions over the ND and my way of controlling MY diabetes any more.

This is my final post on my weight loss this week. If people don't agree with me, or what I am doing, I respect their opinion, and I expect the same consideration.

Defren

tree-peony said:
go girl! :clap:

I find I do my best exercise when I'm vexed btw ;)

Thank you TP, whatta girl you are. I think your right, I am still simmering, and it may well be best walked off. I am sitting here debating giving up this diet all together, I can't deal with all the negativity, even though this was meant to be a good time, and hopefully a productive time for me. I need to think about this, and make a decision. I have spoken to my best friend who knows me better than I know myself, and she says to carry on, as the results are plain to see. Going to think more about this.

Defren

Monday April 30 - day 8

Lunch
Pre BG missed due to stress + 2 hours 5.4

Dinner
Pre BG 4.9 + 2 hours 5.3

Supper
Pre BG 5.0 + 2 5.2

Fluid
Water 3L
Tea - black 4 cups

Exercise

1 hour on treadmill.

Verdict after day 8

Very stressful day, so no point in really recording my feelings. I think I have said it all in previous posts.

Due to family, friends and behind the scenes messages and support I have decided to carry on with the ND.

[edit to add] supper +2 result.

Defren

tree-peony said:
well done again... and it would be daft to give up when you'e doing SO well.

That's what people have said to me. I am showing this works, so why give it up because of someone else's opinion? Doesn't make sense really. (((TP)))

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people

Defren
Keep going we are all adults who make choices, I made a choice to ignore my diabetes nine years ago, maybe if id took more notice i wouldnt have had to do this diet, i feel great, fitter than ever, bgs good, still losing weight but slowing right down now but thats fine as im happy how i feel, look, and bgs are good too.

There is always going to be debunkers, and im sure jeanne was just concerned about you, shame though that these things happen but hey ho such is life.

You are doing brilliantly, if you have a good gp who is monitoring you even better.

Defren

geordie90 said:
Defren
Keep going we are all adults who make choices, I made a choice to ignore my diabetes nine years ago, maybe if id took more notice i wouldnt have had to do this diet, i feel great, fitter than ever, bgs good, still losing weight but slowing right down now but thats fine as im happy how i feel, look, and bgs are good too.

There is always going to be debunkers, and im sure jeanne was just concerned about you, shame though that these things happen but hey ho such is life.

You are doing brilliantly, if you have a good gp who is monitoring you even better.

Thanks Geordie. Yes, I am going to keep going. My GP is amazing, I wrote about him in diabetes discussion (I think) the thread is called amazing clinic visit. He is really enlightened, and happy to walk this road with me, so why should I not do what I feel is right?

Grazer

Don't get stressed Defren. This obviously isn't a diet you'll be doing for the rest of your life, but it seems to be doing remarkable things for your weight and BG in the short term. You're keeping your doctor in touch, and you're a smart lady sp do what feels right

Defren

Grazer said:
Don't get stressed Defren. This obviously isn't a diet you'll be doing for the rest of your life, but it seems to be doing remarkable things for your weight and BG in the short term. You're keeping your doctor in touch, and you're a smart lady sp do what feels right

(((Sheepy))) Thank you, really appreciated.

youngmanfrank

Keep going and ignore the negative comments,you are obviously the type of strong minded person who can make this diet stick and get the benefits.

From your own evidence your body is breaking down fat to provide energy,there should be no problems from this type of weight loss.Because of your exercise your body cannot break down muscle tissue to provide energy,it has to use your fat reserves.You are quite right to listen to your body,if this process was to stop you would feel the effect of low blood sugar and have re-evaluate your approach.I reached this point after 7 weeks and had to up calories prior to exercise during the last week as I had bottomed out at my target weight of 12 stones.

It is good that you are thinking about life post diet,but from my own experience a lot changes in your body as a result of this diet.I seem to have restored the switch in my head which tells me when I have eaten enough,so if I put too much on a plate I will reach a point where something says stop ,at which point I bin what's left,whereas before I would have carried on and scoffed the lot.I now feel hungry at lower blood sugar levels than before. Also with better blood sugar control my weight no longer fluctuates at all.Taken as a whole I think you will have less problems with your diet and can take a more relaxed view on what is acceptable and what is not.

Keep going and think of your kids.One of the reasons I tried this diet is that I am 62,but have an 11 year old son,who is fantastic.I want be around long enoughto see grandchildren!

Defren

Thank you Frank, today is a new fresh day, and I am well over yesterday, and plowing forward. Like you, I need to stay alive, early death is not an option I am willing to think about. I want to see my grandchildren grow up, and as the first is likely to be quite a few years away, then keeping healthy is the way to do it.

Defren

Really, really feeling the cold today, any advice anyone - please brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?

Defren

tree-peony said:
a warm drink? put socks on?
mind you, it IS more like November than May

Done all of that, I have two huge sweaters on, and thick fleecy pants, yet am so cold. Some people did mention this as a side effect, but earlier on I think, within the first few days. As you say it is more like November, let's hope it gets better, or I shall be like a snowman!

Defren

Tuesday May 1 - day 9

Lunch
Pre BG 4.9 + 2 hours 5.5

Dinner
Pre BG 5.0 + 2 hours 5.7 (highest in a while)

Supper
Pre BG 5.1 + 2 5.3

Fluid

Water 3L
Tea - black 2 cups

Exercise

A measly 10 minutes on treadmill.

Verdict after day 8

Feeling the cold something terrible today. I have on more layers on than an onion. Apart from that feeling really good. I am loving the feeling of extra energy and clear mind. Also my level of physical fitness has amazed me beyond my wildest dreams.

I for one can't fault this diet, it's life changing. It could never be a lifetime way of life, but as a short term plan to achieve a goal then it's easy to do. I was so shocked at the lack of any hunger pangs. The only time you feel hungry is meal times, which is possibly a good thing, or I may well forget to eat :lol:

This diet does work, it makes a real difference. I will and do recommend this to anyone to at least try it and draw your own conclusions.

[edit to add] Supper +2 readings. If my new strips don't arrive tomorrow, I'm in trouble. I won't be able to do a full days readings - fingers crossed.

Defren

Wednesday May 2 - day 10 - woohoo, into double figures.

Lunch
Pre BG 5.2 + 2 hours 5.3

Dinner
Pre BG 4.9 + 2 hours 5.5

Supper
Pre BG 4.2 (lowest ever reading :shock: ) + 2 5.7 (that's a bit of a swing!

Fluid

Water 3L
Tea - black 3 cups

Exercise

The most I have ever done in a single day, for well, well, well over a decade. One hour and 10 mins, and with the treadmill speed increased 0.3km, so just a tiny increase, but an increase.

Verdict after day 10

I can't remember ever feeling so good, not only about myself, but my health and also my future. Today has probably been the very best day I have had since diagnosis, in fact probably in many, many years, regarding what my life may or may not hold. This diet is hard, not in terms of feeling hungry, but in terms of so looking forward to being able to eat properly, but there is nothing that will stop me finishing now. My self confidence, my belief in myself, along with weight loss and a-m-a-z-i-n-g BG levels have given me the strength and determination to carry this through to the bitter end.

I am so proud of what I have achieved, I know it was just pure bloody mindedness that even made me consider this diet in the first place. I sat and read through all the threads, thought of my family, wondered about the effect on my own health. Once I knew I had the support of family and friends, and knew I could fit this into my life with no disruption to any one else, I just went for it. I can't put into words how glad I am...

My family and friends, I love you all so much for the faith and belief you have in me.