ND done, 5:2 fast didnt work now ND with a twist

youngmanfrank

Re: A Geordie trying the Newcastle Diet

Did a double take yesterday,was your Hba1c really only 7.0 on diagnosis?Mine was @8.2/8.3 by memory and by comparison with some other poor souls on this forum that was quite low.

I have been following all the posts on the Newcastle Diet and think I can detect that the earlier you can start the diet the better your results.I have achieved good results but I was diagnosed pre-diabetic by accident post an operation (they found sugar in my pee).I was told not to test but bought my own meter and strips and knew exactly when my fasting blood tests crossed over into the diabetic range,at which point I forced the issue and got diagnosed as a full blown T2.I spent more than 2 years trying to control my diabetes with 3xMetformin,diet and exercise,but after the initial improvement was getting worse again.At that point my Hb tests had risen from 6.0 to 6.1 then 6.2 and my fasting bloods were approaching 7.0 on a regular basis.Then I read about the Newcastle Diet on this forum.

Judging by your initial Hb and the fact that you are newly diagnosed I would think you should get results as good or better than me if you complete the diet and get your weight down to a normal BMI figure.

Keep going and stay off the curries!

Defren

youngmanfrank said:
Did a double take yesterday,was your Hba1c really only 7.0 on diagnosis?Mine was @8.2/8.3 by memory and by comparison with some other poor souls on this forum that was quite low.

I have been following all the posts on the Newcastle Diet and think I can detect that the earlier you can start the diet the better your results.I have achieved good results but I was diagnosed pre-diabetic by accident post an operation (they found sugar in my pee).I was told not to test but bought my own meter and strips and knew exactly when my fasting blood tests crossed over into the diabetic range,at which point I forced the issue and got diagnosed as a full blown T2.I spent more than 2 years trying to control my diabetes with 3xMetformin,diet and exercise,but after the initial improvement was getting worse again.At that point my Hb tests had risen from 6.0 to 6.1 then 6.2 and my fasting bloods were approaching 7.0 on a regular basis.Then I read about the Newcastle Diet on this forum.

Judging by your initial Hb and the fact that you are newly diagnosed I would think you should get results as good or better than me if you complete the diet and get your weight down to a normal BMI figure.

Keep going and stay off the curries!

Yes, it was 7.0 at diagnosis, but I had had many diabetic symptoms for a few years, so believe I have been diabetic around 5 years, but only finally diagnosed in March. I am pleased you were diagnosed pre-diabetic, but wish you had the information you have now, that would have prevented you crossing the line to full diabetic.

I will keep going, it is something I have to do, I have to give myself the best chance possible. By the way, I didn't touch the curry, not even a taste. That was the biggest struggle so far, but I passed that particular hurdle.

Defren

I am not expecting a good BG day today. My heat/smoke detector is going crazy, bleeping a high pitched shriek every thirty seconds, and it's driving me crazy. I have just done my post meal BG and it's up!

A

Anonymous

Defren said:
I am not expecting a good BG day today. My heat/smoke detector is going crazy, bleeping a high pitched shriek every thirty seconds, and it's driving me crazy. I have just done my post meal BG and it's up!

Is it battery operated? If so, get one of your lovely girls to change them x

Defren

Jeannemum said:
Defren said:

Is it battery operated? If so, get one of your lovely girls to change them x

No it's a mains one. Himself is not here, so I did it myself. Oh my life, my stress is through the roof, every time it went off all the dogs barked. My head is pounding. No matter, it's mended and peace reigns, now I just need to calm. Had it been battery, the girls couldn't have reached. I have very, very high ceilings. I had to have the house rewired at the end of last year, and this thing is not supposed to be 'trigger happy'. In fairness this is the first time it has played up, and now I know it could wake the dead if it went off during the night!

A

Anonymous

Mine is built into the electrics as well. No way would I ever go through another re wire, it was hell!

Defren

Jeannemum said:
Mine is built into the electrics as well. No way would I ever go through another re wire, it was hell!

Hell sums it up quite well, even though I had a very good team of electricians. It was done in a week, but the mess afterwards. Added to that, the entire house needed decorating top to bottom. Anyway, it's done and so that's good. I also had to have a new shower and boiler, what a horrid time it was.

Defren

Saturday April 28 - day 6

Lunch
Pre BG 5.1 + 2 hours 5.6

Dinner
Pre BG 5.0 + 2 hours 5.2

Supper
Pre BG 4.7 + 2 hours 5.2

Fluid
Water 3L
Tea - black 2 cups

Exercise

30 minutes on the treadmill. I wanted to start to up the time today, but it didn't happen. Tomorrow is another day.

Verdict after day 6

It's been a bit of a tough day, I got highly stressed with the heat/smoke detector and my BG went up. It did go down again, but today's figures are no where near as good as yesterday. Apart from the stress, no other problems. Still feeling really good and positive, and coping really well. I have no craving to chew anything today, so apart from Tuesday and Thursday (I think) where I had a single stick of celery each day, I have stuck to strictly a liquid diet. It's hard to believe come tomorrow I have completed a full week. The time has gone by so quickly. I am still looking toward my eating plan once this is done, as I feel that is as equally important as the diet it's self, and the hard won gains, could easily be lost if I choose to eat in such a way that is not diabetic healthy. It will all come down to weight lost, and how much more I need to lose. Once I know that, then I will perhaps have a much better idea of which way to head. Weigh in on Monday is exciting, I am really looking forward to that.

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)

Your BGs look good to me -- I wish mine were like that.

Andrew

Defren

andrewk said:
Your BGs look good to me -- I wish mine were like that.

Andrew

I am just never happy Andrew. As I said in another post, I am not sure what is going to make me happy, this is a good and positive step though.

Really feeling the cold today.

Defren

Sunday April 29 - day 7

Lunch
Pre BG 4.9 + 2 hours 5.3

Dinner
Pre BG 4.3 (lowest BG ever) + 2 hours 5.2

Supper
Pre BG 4.8 + 2 hours 5.1

Fluid
Water 3L
Tea - black 4 cups

Exercise

One hour on the treadmill. I wanted to up the amount I was doing, but was finding it SO boring. I moved the treadmill and now watch things on youtube, and it's made the time walking fly by, and so much easier.

Verdict after day 7

I think the first thing is how quickly the week has passed. When I began this I was and am full of determination, but was apprehensive as to how I would deal with no solid food at all. It has been unbelievably easy, and that has been a very pleasant surprise. No hunger pangs unless it is actually a meal time. The only time that was different was the day I made curry. That was a huge wobble, but I stuck to it, and didn't snaffle even a tiny bit of chicken. That was hard.

I have had no side effects at all, although today I really did feel the cold. Usually I am not a cold person, but I have been all day. Is this a side effect of the diet? I have no idea, but I know it can't be Atkins flu, the side effect of a much lower carb diet, as I have been ultra low since diagnosis and sometimes the 9g of carbs in the daily total of carbs in the shakes, is more than I was eating on the modified Atkins diet I was on before the ND.

Confessions

Just two this week. Both were a single stick of celery. One on Tuesday, one on Thursday, not because I was hungry, but I had an overpowing craving to chew something. I have not had that craving since Thursday evening.

It's good to have week one under my belt, and my figures show this works. I am looking forward in the short term to weigh in tomorrow, and longer term to seeing the results at the end of my ND trial.

Defren

tree-peony said:
fingers crossed for the weigh in :)

I confess to sneaky peeking, so know roughly what to expect, but I want to do weekly ones here, so it's good time between weigh ins. As I started this on a Monday, have chosen Monday as my weigh in day.

Defren

Figures and weight coming down as I said. 12lb gone in week one. That is some weight loss and has to have contributed to my lowering figures.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done, fantastic weight loss Defren, it will be interesting to see what result you get next week. Considering you were VLC before you started the ND I was surprised to see 12lbs disappearing in just 7 days. At this rate you will be a shadow of your former self in no time. :)

A

Anonymous

catza said:
Well done, fantastic weight loss Defren, it will be interesting to see what result you get next week. Considering you were VLC before you started the ND I was surprised to see 12lbs disappearing in just 7 days. At this rate you will be a shadow of your former self in no time. :)

I find this deeply worrying. I hope no one can believe it is right to lose 46 pounds in 7 or 8 weeks. I find this totally shocking. Even that drip feed article I put on yesterday wasn`t predicting this kind of loss, and that was 150 calories a day.

Defren

catza said:

My forum mom Jeanne is worried, but I think that as it's the first week on a liquid only diet it's not that surprising. I do expect it to plateau, as this kind of loss is not sustainable. For a first week, while more than I could have dreamed of, I am certain it will slow a lot, possibly by next week. I have also been exercising since I started the diet, something I had not done in well over a decade, so my body really has had a huge kick. That's 46 pounds gone since diagnosis 8 weeks ago.

Defren

Jeannemum said:
catza said:

I find this deeply worrying. I hope no one can believe it is right to lose 46 pounds in 7 or 8 weeks. I find this totally shocking. Even that drip feed article I put on yesterday wasn`t predicting this kind of loss, and that was 150 calories a day.

As I said I was weighed on Friday, and my GP has my weight from diagnosis, he is not concerned, and as I have added exercise to the shakes, I'm not either. It will plateau, it has too. In the meantime I am relishing the lower weight and BG levels.

Defren

I have thought about this, and while I appreciate Jeanne's concern, I would once again ask that you don't post negative comments. Like I said I have given this a great deal of thought. I am 46 years old, not a child. I am also (thankfully) under the care of a very good GP. I am fully aware of the difficulties that CAN arise for a dramatic weight loss, I am also absolutely listening to my body and what it is saying. This diary, has been and will continue to be absolutely truthful, in terms of how I feel and am coping. It is a sad, but if I can't be supported while I am working **** hard to control my diabetes, then I will stop this diary, and continue in a private manner. This will be a shame to all who wish to try this diet.

A

Anonymous

My concern is for anyone who has this sort of loss so quickly. The ND sounds like a fabulous idea that can give very positive results, but the way you are losing weight is not good at all.

I have said all I am going to and will now stay away from this thread.