14 units of Glargine injected before going to bed

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before breakfast BG reads between 5.8% to 5.9%

Before dinner BG reads between 6.5 - 7.4%

I only have between 20-30g of carbohydrates (vegetables) for the whole day, no potatoes, rice, pasta.

A half slice of brown bread.

I am starving and could hardly walk.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before breakfast BG reads between 5.8% to 5.9%

Before dinner BG reads between 6.5 - 7.4%

I only have between 20-30g of carbohydrates (vegetables) for the whole day, no potatoes, rice, pasta.

A half slice of brown bread.

I am starving and could hardly walk.

I presume you mean mmol rather than %. Those are actually very good and healthy levels. But because you have been so used to high glucose level, the brain may need some time to adjust to the new normal.

You could always start with eggs, mushrooms, cheese, nuts, 72% dark chocolates. Stick to oily fish and chicken if you are fat aversed. Lots of leafy veg. Have small portion of carbs, that's what the insulin is for. Consider bulletproof coffee...if you feel mentally exhausted, I find that helpful. Others may have more specific suggestions.

All the best.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I woke up 9:30 am on Friday 22 Sept 2017 my head was spinning very violently seeing my room spinning all over - when infact nothing was happening. It was infact a severe Vertigo, Hyperglycemia and Ketoacidosis!

Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic.

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f3501

I was screaming and sweating heavily. I tried to get up but I just kept falling down. My mother called for the ambulance straightaway but they did not arrive until about an hour later.

At the A & E, I was given Potassium, Insulin, Glucose etc. and had blood samples taken every hour for signs of Ketones and to test Blood Glucose levels.The doctors said that I was very lucky to survive and I could have gone into coma.

To my surprise, I was discharged the next day. I went home feeling absolutely exhausted, very weak and confused.

And I did not hear back from my GP or DN until 6 weeks later. Communication between myself, the NHS and GP was awful. I wish there was a clearer line of communication straightaway and follow-up.

My DN conducted a blood test and the BG was 12%. I was put on daily units of insulin straightaway.

Anyway I have been doing low-carb/high fat diet since and doing light exercises. Also been taking Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Multivitamins, Minerals, Cinnamon, Pomegranate Extract, Cod Liver Oil, Garlic Food Supplements.

I have lost about half a stone since diagnosis. Thank God I'm still alive.

Next A1c will be mid-December 2017.

Wish me luck guys and look after your health!

you are doing a great job with your foods and by losing weight ... well done and keep doing that...

unfortunately we only get very little help in coping with type 2 diabetes .. but you yourself has found this forum which is the most helpful place to be and share our common fight and get individual response to our questiong from all these very knowing people in here
I´ll wish you luck , and I am sure you´ll lower your HbA1c very much if not this second blood sample then in the following..

it is possible to be in a lifethreatening situation and next day be in a much better not life threatening state but still being high in blood glucose..

many type 2´s are not as serverely hit initially as you were , some only find out by accident.. like I did for instance..

do you still use insulin ? if so then you really need to check your blood glucose doesn´t go too low.. as that can also create lifethreatening situations and . maybe even worse than being far too high in blood glucose levels

Last edited:

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so very much for your help and understanding.

I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic on 22 Sept 2017 after nearly dying at the A & E from Ketoacidosis.

Unfortunately I was discharged from the hospital the very next day and basically left on my own for 6 weeks.

I didn't know what t do or what to eat. I was so scared from eating so I went absolutely "zero carb for 5 weeks" and just ate meat.

On the 6th week I became very weak, could hardly walk and feeling very nauseous.

I am now being encouraged by the GP to slowly re-introduce carbohydrates to my diet now I am on insulin.

But as I said I am very scared of adding carbohydrates to my diet.

Please advice.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
please notice that there are foods you can eat a lot of without doing any damage to your body,

like meat all kinds fish without coating, cheese , eggs , peanuts and nuts almost all kinds except from cashew nuts, olives , avocadoes ... dont starve yourself please... it is important also to have some energy from food so you are clear minded and able to learn and cope with it all..

cucumber, tomatoes zucchini onions , cale and most vegs grown over ground except from corn and grain

lidl has a wonderful protein roll that hardly contains carbs and that is a very fine substitute to the bread we used to eat

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are so kind, thank you.

I am so scared of eating because it might spike my BG. I am being very careful.

Can you please suggest an example 1 day meal plan (breakfast, lunch, dinner) ?

Again, I am very grateful for your help!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But those levels are with 14 units of daily insulin injections or it doesn't matter?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
14 units of Glargine injected before going to bed

Hi @NewTD2 ,

If your GP wants you to reintroduce carbs? The insulin regime prescribed for you with just Glargine Lantus won't handle it alone..
You would need a fast acting insulin injected with meals as well to deal with any spikes from the carbohydrates consumed.

Judging by the figures you've given on the Lantus you're doing pretty well. But, with a fast acting insulin like Novorapid You could eat a little more carb with knowledge of a personal insulin to carb ratio, counting the carbs accordingly..

Are you on any other medication other than your Glargine??

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The doctor's plan is to introduce Metformin 500mg with breakfast and dinner increasing to a strong dosage of 1G
but weaning down Glargine which is a long acting 24 hrs insulin.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The doctor's plan is to introduce Metformin 500mg with breakfast and dinner increasing to a strong dosage of 1G
but weaning down Glargine which is a long acting 24 hrs insulin.

What Metformin will do is increase your body's insulin sensitivity & conteract any "liver dump" of glycogen into your bloodstream..

How often are you testing during the day? Are you checking BGs on waking 2 hours after meals & before bed?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am still feeling very very weak because of going for "zero carb" diet for 5-6 weeks so Ive started taking Magnesium and Potassium Food Supplements.

I nearly died 2-3x on a zero-carb diet.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was only told to test before breakfast and 2 hours before dinner.

I have tested after lunch and dinner occasionally and the BG varies between 5.1 - 8.5.

About a week ago before I was put on insulin, my BG reads between 9.6 - 11.2.

So I guess it was right for the doctor to put me on insulin straightaway.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are so kind, thank you.

I am so scared of eating because it might spike my BG. I am being very careful.

Can you please suggest an example 1 day meal plan (breakfast, lunch, dinner) ?

Again, I am very grateful for your help!

well I dont know what you like to eat

but you could try to eat like this :

breakfast : omelette with mushrooms and tomato and cheese on

lunch : sandwich of LIDL-protein roll with chicken and salat , cucumber and pepper and something spicy and butter

dinner : a beef of some kind (or fish or chicken ) with avocado salat mixed vegs those you prefer in salat and maybe vinegar dressing.

but be aware that if you use insuline you might actually eat some carbs to make sure not to get too low

Reactions: TIANDB

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am still feeling very very weak because of going for "zero carb" diet for 5-6 weeks so Ive started taking Magnesium and Potassium Food Supplements.

I nearly died 2-3x on a zero-carb diet.

At what dosage are, & how long have you been taking these supplements?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
by the way ignore that they tell you not to measure your blood many times daily.

to gain control you need to know what is going on in your body especially at what level your blood glucose is right before going to sleep, and in that case it is better to be a little too high than a little too low.. many go to sleep initially at a level of 8mmol..then as you become more professional , you have an idea of at what level you need to be at before sleep..

naturally most people are lowest at around 01:00 -03:00 in the night and therefore it is too risky to be too low before sleep if you then go very much lower later in the night..

there are many in here that can advice you much better , but I would at least the first 3 month measure many times daily like right after waking up, then 1 hour after breakfast and again 2 hours later, to see how fast your blood glucose is in getting back to a level like pre-food then do the same before lunch and 1 and 2 hours after lunch ... then late in the afternoon, before dinner and 1 and 2 hours after dinner and then again right before going to sleep..

also be aware if you drink a whisky or alike you blood glucose can go even lower also many hours after, so take care with alcohol untill you are much more into your rutines ...

when you are on insuline and as long as you are, I believe you have a right to get the strips and lancets for free.. but maybe I am wrong in believing that..

maybe you´ll not need insuline forever some get off it again when they gain control

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you can read some of what blood glucose to aim for as a type 2 in this link :

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

and in this scheme you can see what the average levels shows
50shades - Copy.png

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
pottasium can be dangerous to be too high in.. and is only something one should supplement if ones GP advice to take it

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask whether you have excess weight or are slim. If the latter your T2 diagnosis may be wrong and may be T1? GPs do get this wrong quite often and it then affects the right level and type of meds as I found out for myself.