Never diabetic to begin with?

wozey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok so I was diagnosed with type 2 and I stumbled upon this place so went ultra low carb and sure enough my numbers dropped to pre diabetes very quickly, I stopped the Metformin by choice but soon slowly started eating whatever I wanted again due to in part stress and a feeling of I couldn’t be bothered with caring about it anymore (yes I get how reckless that is) a few months pass and I’m getting some blood tests for an unrelated issue and the doctor said “well done with the diabetes management, whatever you’re doing keep it up as you’re well within normal range” I asked if these were recent results and he said yes they were done in this recent blood work.

Now I’ve done absolutely nothing other than cutout sugary drinks and switch to the diet stuff, is just doing that enough or is it possible I was misdiagnosed? Not sure if that’s a thing or not

Reactions: Radicalcartoons

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so I was diagnosed with type 2 and I stumbled upon this place so went ultra low carb and sure enough my numbers dropped to pre diabetes very quickly, I stopped the Metformin by choice but soon slowly started eating whatever I wanted again due to in part stress and a feeling of I couldn’t be bothered with caring about it anymore (yes I get how reckless that is) a few months pass and I’m getting some blood tests for an unrelated issue and the doctor said “well done with the diabetes management, whatever you’re doing keep it up as you’re well within normal range” I asked if these were recent results and he said yes they were done in this recent blood work.

Now I’ve done absolutely nothing other than cutout sugary drinks and switch to the diet stuff, is just doing that enough or is it possible I was misdiagnosed? Not sure if that’s a thing or not
You say you went ultra low carb, then got complacent and started adding other stuff?

During all of this, did you lose weight at all?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi - If I remember correctly, you were diagnosed on the basis of an HbA1c that was over 48. You have clearly reduced your BG and maybe gained a bit more insulin sensitivity. Of course, you can go back to your previous diet if you want, but that was the diet you were on when you ended up diagnosed with a high BG. The same diet again might have the same result. It doesn't happen overnight either - when my BGs were rising, it was at a rate of around 1 or 2 mmol/mol a year.

I can see why the idea of being "misdiagnosed" would be atrractive - but I can't see how you would justify it. Are you saying that you didn't ever have high BG?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @KennyA .
I have actually been told by a doctor that I must have been misdiagnosed but I know I wasn't- I just manage my condition. On the (very) rare occasion I do go above my strict low carb limit my levels are now fine. It can be very tempting to consider that I wasn't ever diabetic but my belief is that I was and am and if I went back to my old diet my HbA1C would go back up. Currently it's 5.2 (or 33) so I suspect it may take a year or so (maybe longer?) to get back to a formal diabetic level. I'm not willing to do that for at least a couple more decades :)

LonelyFatGuy

What volume of sugary drinks were you actually drinking per day then...?

And how many weeks of this "reckless" eating was there before this most recent test...?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
It sounds feasible that it was the amount of sugary drinks that pushed your Hba1c into the diabetic range, but If you are thinking that your diagnosis was a mistake or some strange result of drinking pop.
Remember that a non diabetic person could drink as much sugary stuff as they like without their Hba1c straying into the T2 range, they are not insulin resistant, whatever they eat or drink their pancreas produces enough insulin and their body is able to use that insulin effectively to remove the sugar from their blood.
Now you have removed the offending drinks, obviously you are lucky enough to be able to have more carbs in your diet. This does not mean that you are cured or that there was never a problem in the first place. It just means that for the time being you can get away with more carbs.
A word of caution though, ask any Dr and they will tell you that T2 is progressive,
more carbs = more insulin, more insulin = greater insulin resistance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bread and starches ( pasta, rice, potatoes)

Very interesting post. I've been managing D2 now for 18 years, currently on x4 Metformin & 1 Anagliptin a day. My D2 Nurse recently cut out the Gliclazide.
So on my last HbA1c test I was at 42, which is pre-diabetic. They followed up by saying that want to see it UP at the next test, to 48, which is presenting as Diabetic. (Oh, my Cholesterol was well reduced too, currently at 5.7)
I can only see 2 reasons for their wish to see me presenting as D2: 1) Justifying their own existence. I mean, if I continue at pre-diabetic (ie my D2 is in remission) they might have to cut back more of my medication! AND they might have to stop threatening me with Statins. Even in the UK, they must get some reward from the drug companies to push medication on us. After all, healthy people are not so lucrative.
OR 2) they are protecting my D2 status. In the NHS we have a handy system where if you're diagnosed Diabetic you get all the rest of your prescribed medication free, for life.
So I also get my heart medication, which I would not be able to afford if I didn't have my D2 diagnosis!
In this circumstance, I'm happy to eat a little more fruit to push my blood glucose up for them, if it keeps them happy!
So wozey, what do YOU think, D2 or not D2?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Very interesting post. I've been managing D2 now for 18 years, currently on x4 Metformin & 1 Anagliptin a day. My D2 Nurse recently cut out the Gliclazide.
So on my last HbA1c test I was at 42, which is pre-diabetic. They followed up by saying that want to see it UP at the next test, to 48, which is presenting as Diabetic. (Oh, my Cholesterol was well reduced too, currently at 5.7)
I can only see 2 reasons for their wish to see me presenting as D2: 1) Justifying their own existence. I mean, if I continue at pre-diabetic (ie my D2 is in remission) they might have to cut back more of my medication! AND they might have to stop threatening me with Statins. Even in the UK, they must get some reward from the drug companies to push medication on us. After all, healthy people are not so lucrative.
OR 2) they are protecting my D2 status. In the NHS we have a handy system where if you're diagnosed Diabetic you get all the rest of your prescribed medication free, for life.
So I also get my heart medication, which I would not be able to afford if I didn't have my D2 diagnosis!
In this circumstance, I'm happy to eat a little more fruit to push my blood glucose up for them, if it keeps them happy!
So wozey, what do YOU think, D2 or not D2?
I think your dsn is confused between your T2 diagnosis and what levels a T1 should be aiming for!
A T2, the aim is to reduce spikes and keep fasting and hba1c levels as close to normal by reducing the cause of the T2, and a dietary regime to reduce carbs and sugars, a healthy balance of protein, good saturated fats and low carb vegetables.
Being in remission, you should still be careful with your health. As ignoring the consequences will ultimately put you back in levels that will need treatment again.
And I am speaking from experience.
I was misdiagnosed as T2 in 2009 but that was because, I had another condition that was symptomatic with T2!
Depending on my dietary intake, my body reacts, and my organs retaliate, with an imbalance of hormones, that impact my health, it can happen within a couple of hours but can last for a long time, as does T2, the best treatment is to try and avoid the food and drink that causes that reaction.
If I keep to my individual diet, the healthier I am. And it has happened a few times now. Because of certain mental and health issues.
The last time, my hba1c levels were 51! I was again in diabetic levels along with my constant threat of my other conditions. I then took action.
After three months of being extremely careful and using fasting, my latest hba1c is now 39!
And once again non diabetic.

Once you have what is known as a dysregulation or an imbalance in your first phase insulin response. You do need to be careful, about your health!