NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not rejecting any rules, I'd be terrified to think I hadn't followed the rules to the letter and doing that is pretty much my day to day life. What I was saying is that the last thing I need is a lecture on how scary the future is, I am under no illusions there.

The point I have been trying to make is that the information you're given is just utter junk. They tell you one thing, like be between 5 and 7, then you fail, because it is impossible, actually and fundamentally impossible, for anyone, and it is totally spirit crushing to realise that you cannot ever hope to do a good job n of this. Then you go in with your numbers and show them you can't do it, and that you have failed, and they go oh well done that's great keep it up. And it is killer, because now not only are you not getting it right, with all the scary stuff that goes with that, your total commitment and work towards getting it exactly right, all that effort and endlessly trying to figure out more and more ways of getting it better though you know it isn't really working, is a total waste because even though you have failed they just go, oh that's great carry on. It's like they're passive aggressively saying ha ha, that thing you thought mattered, it's all a sick horrible joke because guess what you pass anyway. It's like studying a billion years for an exam and then being told, oh, well, everyone passes anyway. Why do they do that? It's like they're used to talking to ten year olds.

Apart from all that you end up with no idea what the real targets are, how the risk of complications changes depending on how badly you are doing, no idea what to do and just dumped with a bunch of insulin and some vague instructions that contradict themselves and scared that everything you do from the second you wake up to the second you go to sleep is slowly killing you and even if you knew the limits there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

I am not really interested in a bunch of people saying oh I'm a hundred years old and nothing bad ever happened to me. Or I know someone who whatever. That is anecdotal evidence and I am not interested.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not rejecting any rules, I'd be terrified to think I hadn't followed the rules to the letter and doing that is pretty much my day to day life. What I was saying is that the last thing I need is a lecture on how scary the future is, I am under no illusions there.

The point I have been trying to make is that the information you're given is just utter junk. They tell you one thing, like be between 5 and 7, then you fail, because it is impossible, actually and fundamentally impossible, for anyone, and it is totally spirit crushing to realise that you cannot ever hope to do a good job n of this. Then you go in with your numbers and show them you can't do it, and that you have failed, and they go oh well done that's great keep it up. And it is killer, because now not only are you not getting it right, with all the scary stuff that goes with that, your total commitment and work towards getting it exactly right, all that effort and endlessly trying to figure out more and more ways of getting it better though you know it isn't really working, is a total waste because even though you have failed they just go, oh that's great carry on. It's like they're passive aggressively saying ha ha, that thing you thought mattered, it's all a sick horrible joke because guess what you pass anyway. It's like studying a billion years for an exam and then being told, oh, well, everyone passes anyway. Why do they do that? It's like they're used to talking to ten year olds.

Apart from all that you end up with no idea what the real targets are, how the risk of complications changes depending on how badly you are doing, no idea what to do and just dumped with a bunch of insulin and some vague instructions that contradict themselves and scared that everything you do from the second you wake up to the second you go to sleep is slowly killing you and even if you knew the limits there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

I am not really interested in a bunch of people saying oh I'm a hundred years old and nothing bad ever happened to me. Or I know someone who whatever. That is anecdotal evidence and I am not interested.

If you want absolute perfection with your numbers perhaps you need to read Dr Bernstein and consider his radical approach to treatment. I am reading it at the moment. It is very interesting.

Reactions: dbr10

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You need to seek help. Lots of people have provided you with links to published study data that is not anecdotal evidence that contradicts your view of the world. Yes, Type 1 Diabetes makes life a bit more complex, no-one is denying that. What it isn't is a life sentence. You can carry on living life and doing everything you used to. If you choose to take it as a life sentence that stops you doing anything, ever, then that's your choice. It doesn't have to be that way, everyone makes their own choice.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@NoKindOfSusie

If you arent interested in evidence / studies / peoples real life good expieriences... why come on a forum?

As I see it, you will only get yourself more stressed out with your own negativity as you just cannot change or adapt your thinking to thinking that life can still be so fantastic.

I think our positivity and fact based evidence of positive things for T1 and advice may just be building your negative thoughts.

We all have ups and downs and challenges but its whether we allow positiveity to shine through that makes the people that also shine in life..

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
@GlucoseGuardian, has reading people’s reactions to your post affected the way you view your boyfriend’s attitude towards his diabetes, and your own? The thread seems to have been derailed recently and I’d like to know what your view of the situation you’ve found yourself is now. Some people are concerned that you need to adopt a truly professional approach to your work; some of us are concerned that you are the victim of a gaslighting boyfriend; some of us believe you should end the relationship, gain more equilibrium and clearer sight.
What’s been the effect on you of all this?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@GlucoseGuardian

Sorry for sidelining in above post to Susie.. the point that I have to say all of this is that T1's can have fantastic lives if they take responsiblility for their diabetes and with positivity.. it should not be something that a partner should have to become involved with and should not involve the partners to take any part of risking their livelihoods...
yes, help is needed from partners regarding knowledge about routines of a T1 and to try and support in times of T1s sliding out of their routines.. but it needs the T1 to gain that responsibility back and possibly getting further help from gp, hospitals, mental health teams or counsellors.. the partner cannot be the one taking full responsibility for the actions of another adult.

I like others hope that you and boyfriend can get balanced with everything....

Hope you let us know how things are, but please keep a logical, rational head on your shoulders.. this isnt a time to ruin your livelihood or let your heart rule your actions..

We would like you to come back and let us know how you are managing...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sorry but i noticed your also a coeliac? diabetes and coeliac disease arent usually things that pair up and its considerably unfortunate if they do, coincidently my boyfriend is also both a t1 diabetic and a coeliac, gluten free food is expensive, my monthly food bill has increased by almost £100 since I've been dating him.. not many restuarants have gluten free options in my area do you have a particular favourite big-chain resturant thats likely to be in the city I live in? The last one I found with a gluten free menu was handmade burger co and I refused to show him how much the bill I picked up was because omg how guilty he would have felt if he new I'd spent over £50 on two drinks two starters and two burgers.. Also do you know any shops that sell gluten free food at reasonable prices? My coeliac friend whom at one point in her life lived in the same city as me suggested morrisons but they dont deliver and I feel like theres a limited amount of shopping we'd be able to carry 0.6 miles? Thats why i do the monthly asda shop its litterally delivered 10 feet from my fridge

Also I gave him a coeliac attack once, I made him a chilli con carne.. when he started having the attack I rushed into the kitchen to check all the ingredients I'd used.. The culprit? Uncle bens rice.. How the F*ck does gluten get into rice its literally picked off a plant not man made?

Hi Type 1 and Coeliac unfortunately do go together, I have both, auto immune conditions.
Making a home made curry is not expensive, (I have small amount of plain white rice), same with homemade meatballs, which are quick and easy, burger's, soups, casserole's( onion, carrot, green beans, a pepper, brocolli,seasoning etc, roast chicken is great and use the leftover's for lunch and another dinner. Using a slow cooker is great, as it cooks whilst you are out, or overnight if you prefer, fish can be eaten too, look out for cheaper cuts, like Pollock or Basa. You can get gluten free foods at Asda and Sainsbury, I like the nine bars and about 11 carbs per bar, same with a Rice cake. Gluten is in so many food's nowadays, we have to be vigilant.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hmm.. one of my patients at the hospital is also a t1 and coeliac.. however I can't find any actual evidence of this correlation, the website you shared didnt have any references from scientific literature which is strange considering the author claimed to be a doctor and would therefore have had to use references to scientific literature when referring to anything that he was claiming to be a fact, even undergraduates and junior doctors are required to do this. Even wikipedia uses the referencing system ***. I feel like this is probably a result of the gluten free food industry realising they werent making a decent profit off the coeliacs and are therefore convincing people that being gluten free is has health benefits? A primary school near me is introducing gluten free only meals to the children because they've been convinced gluten causes autisim? That is basic high school biology level stuff right there, gluten can't pass the blood brain barrier, full stop, so how can it possibly affect the brain? I've managed to find one paper backing this claim up in a seriously low rated journal where their argument is something analogous too "all houses that have caught on fire contained a toilet, therefore toilets cause house fires"

in short not convinced but i'd love for you to attempt to change my mind.

but anyway, gluten free restaurants? shops that sell gluten free food at a reasonable price?

Many restaurant's will do gluten free alternatives now days, just ask and most will be able to accommodate also it's a good idea to phone or email the establishment first, to give them a head's up.

Reactions: donnellysdogs