archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not a diabetic and i still go for blood tests every three months to check I'm not dying because its a free service! why not!
Sorry, but I don't understand how or why you would go for blood tests every 3 months. You are wasting NHS resources and the time of a nurse/GP every time. How do you get referred for these tests? If you are paying for them privately then I think you possibly need medical help as this isn't normal!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
0.047% of people with diabetes received new certification of sight impairment (a fall of 43% since 2007)

I can explain why this is not reassuring if you like but it would involve some maths.

I don't want to be shouted at for being depressing.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I can explain why this is not reassuring if you like but it would involve some maths.
Curious about your maths... Those figures look pretty good to me (assuming the %s are correct).

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Every person I have spoken to and everything I have read basically boils down to what I said.

It is first used as a scare tactic to make you follow the rules. I didn't really need the scare tactics, I have been about as scared as it is possible to be for about four months continuously but I think they sort of enjoy it, they are used to dealing with 10 year old kids. Then they just reinforce it and reinforce it, to make you follow the rules. They are not making it up, the evidence shows it. I can go and look it up if you want, do you want me to copy and paste a load of wikipedia references, or are we all grown ups who can deal with reality?

Are there any actual medically qualified people on this forum or are we just a group of random people speculating? I like facts with evidence based medicine behind them, not speculation and not someone telling me it'll be fine to make me feel better.

I suggest you look a little further than Wikipedia which is notorious for being a compository of user-posted information and is not often subjected to proper scrutiny.
Look for the academic articles, the ones from research organisations and journals such as Nature and Science.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Every person I have spoken to and everything I have read basically boils down to what I said.

It is first used as a scare tactic to make you follow the rules. I didn't really need the scare tactics, I have been about as scared as it is possible to be for about four months continuously but I think they sort of enjoy it, they are used to dealing with 10 year old kids. Then they just reinforce it and reinforce it, to make you follow the rules. They are not making it up, the evidence shows it. I can go and look it up if you want, do you want me to copy and paste a load of wikipedia references, or are we all grown ups who can deal with reality?

Are there any actual medically qualified people on this forum or are we just a group of random people speculating? I like facts with evidence based medicine behind them, not speculation and not someone telling me it'll be fine to make me feel better.

We are speaking as experienced, real diabetics... not speculation from NHS or NICE.

Real people, living life to the full, and NOT letting T1 rule our lives...it appears that you have not read all the advice we have given, or accepted it from our previous postings to you.

I wasnt an angel.. I havent got complications from diabetes. There is a lot more disabling diseases than diabetes... its gathering your party hat and taking every opportunity to live and be happy and caring for yourself that makes life easier to handle with T1.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@NoKindOfSusie Please show the research as to where all this evidence is from.....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Then I assume that you'll be well aware of the DCCT and EDIC studies that followed Intensive and Non-Intensive treatment in T1Ds over a long period. They demonstrate why you use what's considered Intensive treatment rather than twice daily insulin, and more importantly, that using that means that you are significantly less likely to end up in the situation you are concerned about.

Also, as a part of that study, there was a significant amount of data that showed managing glucose levels to retain an Hba1C of around 6.5% (which is also linked to reduced variability) resulted in a much lower relative risk of the various unpleasant side effects of T1D compared to the rest of the population. What it showed was that there was an almost 1:1 relationship between t1D and non-T1D.

Now, you can go and read these studies, and of course read in to them what you will, but the key is that if you don't want to take a positive outlook on life and live it to the full, that's your choice, and it's one that every single T1 has to make. But for those of us offering support on the forum, our point is that life simply isn't a long slog going blind, losing limbs and struggling to eat before eventually dying of a heart attack. There are many things we can actively do to manage ourselves and not end up like that (30 years in here and still going strong).

The same is true for the OPs boyfriend. Often people do get into this mindset. I'd suggest that anyone finding themself there needs to seek help.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I the only one who isn’t a little unnerved by the sentence, “I may have used an ever so slightly illegal method to obtain confidential patient information?” And then the subsequent manipulation by the boyfriend. I fear this relationship is very toxic!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I the only one who isn’t a little unnerved by the sentence, “I may have used an ever so slightly illegal method to obtain confidential patient information?” And then the subsequent manipulation by the boyfriend. I fear this relationship is very toxic!
especially as the OP is, apparently, a Health Care Professional. I find this behaviour more than a little disturbing on the side of the OP. But then, I am finding all sorts of things on this thread more than a little disturbing.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Dark Horse , that's an amazing story at the link in your post #65!

Had to do a double take when she mentioned her doc was Banting! He seems like a distant, historical figure now, so just extraordinary to hear from someone who was actually treated by him.

I wonder what it was like in those days: "Look, mate, we're not too sure about the strength of this batch, so maybe give us some feedback on it, eh?"

Goes to hospital by kayak, and, "I do like the treat of a Kit-Kat when I have a hypo though!"

She's a winner!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Then I assume that you'll be well aware of the DCCT and EDIC studies that followed Intensive and Non-Intensive treatment in T1Ds over a long period. They demonstrate why you use what's considered Intensive treatment rather than twice daily insulin, and more importantly, that using that means that you are significantly less likely to end up in the situation you are concerned about.

Also, as a part of that study, there was a significant amount of data that showed managing glucose levels to retain an Hba1C of around 6.5% (which is also linked to reduced variability) resulted in a much lower relative risk of the various unpleasant side effects of T1D compared to the rest of the population. What it showed was that there was an almost 1:1 relationship between t1D and non-T1D.

Now, you can go and read these studies, and of course read in to them what you will, but the key is that if you don't want to take a positive outlook on life and live it to the full, that's your choice, and it's one that every single T1 has to make. But for those of us offering support on the forum, our point is that life simply isn't a long slog going blind, losing limbs and struggling to eat before eventually dying of a heart attack. There are many things we can actively do to manage ourselves and not end up like that (30 years in here and still going strong).

The same is true for the OPs boyfriend. Often people do get into this mindset. I'd suggest that anyone finding themself there needs to seek help.
Well said! I survived Type 1 for 54 years from being a baby. I am able to chat with you guys!

Last edited:

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All, been away for a few days traveling back to Canada and was looking forward to getting back here and catching up on the threads! Honestly, this thread is getting crazy!! I have a couple of suggestions: 1) No more trying to engage in debate with NoKindOfSusie - let her wallow in all her negativity - I am beginning to think she just likes seeing who she can goad into a debate here.....her comments and the following responses completely derail the gist of the current thread and many others....leave her be.
2) the T1's girlfriend who started this thread way back when, needs to take a good read of what she has admitted on here to doing for her boyfriend and realize that because she is so emotionally involved with this guy, that he is blinding her professionalism and proper protocols for treatment. Really, my hope for her is that she realizes the slippery slope she has embarked upon and cuts her ties with this guy, who I would say really disrespects himself and her. I would say to her, please give your head a shake and get rid of him!! Save yourself!

You may think I am pretty gruff here, blame it on the traveling - never sleep well on the road (lol), or whatever, but sometimes someone has to say what most others are thinking but not saying...forgive me if I am out of line for this forum, but, enough of this thread I would say...L

lucynical

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You and me both! Once bitten twice shy ........... we were bitten just a short time ago!
Me three. This is absolutely bonkers. As many other people have said, he is not your responsibility, he needs to get a grip and start taking responsibility for himself.

I used to hate testing my blood sugar, and the lack of doing so (and therefore largely guessing insulin amounts) landed me in hospital with a DKA. In an ideal world, it wouldn't have taken something like that for me to start taking my treatment more seriously, but it was the wake up call I needed.

He shouldn't be injecting after eating (before) and he should test before every meal - as many others have pointed out. It sounds like he could be a good candidate for a CGM if he's been in hospital once a year since he was diagnosed as a child (way, way too often!). If he doesn't like having to prick his finger, than that will reduce the amount of that that's needed. It'll also give him greater insight into what his sugars are doing throughout the day.

Lastly, the less carbs he eats, the less insulin he needs. The less insulin he injects, the less chance of having a hypo. Check out Dr Bernstein. Boshing down a couple of McMuffin's isn't the best start for anyone, let alone a T1 diabetic. A treat not a weekly thing perhaps?!

Edited by a moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Please read the following :
https://report.nih.gov/NIHfactsheets/ViewFactSheet.aspx?csid=120
The number dying from T1D within 25 years of diagnosis has fallen from 33% in the 1950 to 7% now. Many still cling on to that notion of T1D being somewhat of a death sentence.
What makes the difference between those who make up the statistics and those who survive ?
Other co-morbidities apart I would say CONTROL.
Sadly some diabetics of whatever type never aim for or achieve good control. A forum such as this helps make that control possible.

It sounds like you're talking to the wrong people, even if they're medically trained. They obviously have a duty to warn you of the possible consequences (the equivalent of signing a consent form for an operation).

And what rules are you rejecting ?

It will help you if you can find a way of having a meaningful dialogue with those on this forum who spend their lives at the 'coalface' of T1D.
Geoff