New T2D drug being marketed for Obesity and Weight loss

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The drug is Tirzepatide made by Eli Lilley, It is currently licenced for T2D treatment. but today on the news it has been applied for general release as a weight loss drug and OTC use. So like Ozempic, it has been half inched by the drug company to serve its real large vista wonderdrug role. It is a once a week injection, and is claimed to lose 34lbs of weight in 16 months of trial.

The Medical director of the company was interviewed by CNN and was asked if it suffers the same nasty events that the other drugs like Ozempic suffer such as thyroid cancer pancreatitis etc, and she answered that it has only had the standard safety tests and it was not known if there are any longer term effects. It has also not had any independant testing or review. It apparently does not have the same gastric distress that the others have, so loses one very important (IMO) treatment effect which is the kickback nausea from overeating so it loses the portiom control aspect of the treatment. It also, the Director admits, needs to be taken for life because the weight loss is only temporary, and suffers an accelerated weight gain on completion of a course. Caveat Emptor, my friends,

Edit a Correction, the CNN Interview was with the Medical director of Lilley, not the CEO

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did you see my post on Gabepentin?
I can't believe the difference in my vision since stopping it!
The drug is Tirzepatide made by Eli Lilley, It is currently licenced for T2D treatment. but today on the news it has been applied for general release as a weight loss drug and OTC use. So like Ozempic, it has been half inched by the drug company to serve its real large vista wonderdrug role. It is a once a week injection, and is claimed to lose 34lbs of weight in 16 months of trial.

The CEO of the company was interviewed by CNN and was asked if it suffers the same nasty events that the other drugs like Ozempic suffer such as thyroid cancer pancreatitis etc, and she answered that it has only had the standard safety tests and it was not known if there are any longer term effects. It has also not had any independant testing or review. It apparently does not have the same gastric distress that the others have, so loses one very important (IMO) treatment effect which is the kickback nausea from overeating so it loses the portiom control aspect of the treatment. It also, the CEO admits, needs to be taken for life because the weight loss is only temporary, and suffers an accelerated weight gain on completion of a course. Caveat Emptor, my friends,
My wife is on Ozempic, and has very little issues with it. And despite all her other health issues, her T2 is in control since taking the drug.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you see my post on Gabepentin?
I can't believe the difference in my vision since stopping it!

My wife is on Ozempic, and has very little issues with it. And despite all her other health issues, her T2 is in control since taking the drug.
So long as a drug is properly monitored and under medical control, then it is suitable for its primary function. For these new drugs, they were developed to treat Type 2 Diabetes, and seem to do that job as intended. What is becoming a problem is this off label use, and OTC use that siphons off stock for general sale, and deprives T2D patients of their medicine.

You describe vision disturbance for Gabapentin, which is a well documented side effect. My wife was on it for bipolar disorder, and she called it Rocket Fuel because it sent her hyper.. It is apparently also being prescribed for hot flushes as an OTC.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is a CNN review of the original T2D approval
apparently it currently retails at $1288 per month at Walgreens as OTC or $1100 per month on Walgreens Coupon.subscription. The recommended weightloss program costs $33, 000 per year from a weightloss service that provides support (like WW)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For fifty two injections, that is a hefty price, and obviously the reason behind it.
You would have to be desperate to pay that much.
health and profiteering should not mix!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The research centre at Leicester are looking for T2s to join a trial on this medication. Just sayin' The only criteria are diagnosed T2 in tha last 4 years, and taking no medications, or only Metformin for their diabetes, plus the rather obvious; be over 18. There is no requirement to be overweight or obese, to they are looking more at glucose levels than anything else.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reports are cominbg in that it has triggered medullary thyroid cancer in some patients.

Growling Frog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reports are cominbg in that it has triggered medullary thyroid cancer in some patients.

The actual quote is this: ‘This drug has been shown to cause thyroid cancer in some animals. It is not known if this happens in humans.’

Nothing about patients. Please don’t misinform.

• Optimistic
Reactions: zand

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The actual quote is this: ‘This drug has been shown to cause thyroid cancer in some animals. It is not known if this happens in humans.’

Nothing about patients. Please don’t misinform.
We have had at least two diagnoses by forum members after starting this class of medication. at least one incidence was reported to the Australian Authority by the equivalent of the yellow card. the other may have been reported via the UK yellow card system by the HCP but this has not been confirmed. It may be coincidence, or a latent condition flaring up, but we have seen n=1 evidence.

Note Tirezepitide only got licence for prescriptions last week so has only just entered the marketplace and NHS formulary. It contains semaglutide like Ozempic/ wegovy.with a go faster stripe of a GIP mimetic.

During the trial for approval, there were 2 deaths in the Tirzepetide group, and no deaths in the placebo group. the deaths were stated to be unrelated to the trial. There were 1,500 participants in three arms (placebo, 10mg, and 15 mg doses) over a period of 72 weeks, So the death rate of 2 in 500 arm members is quite high for something that is deemed safe. There were also 7% rate of serious events in the 10mg intervention group that led to treatment discontinuation within the trial period. These serious events were beyond the usual nausea, diarrhea, and gastro distress but the report does not provide details..

I note that the report describes the results for the 10mg group, but makes no mention of any simiilar events in the 15mg group that seems to be free of all adversity. This I find worrying and is IMHO a significant omission.

I was an Avandia user when it was banned for causing strokes. The trial report for Avandia also showed a couple of deaths that were also deemed to be unrelated. Seems after all that they were probably caused. So I am wary of trials being performed and paid for by drug companies who write up the results and make the conclusions.

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hospital (in Scotland) has advised that Tirzepatide can only be prescribed for weight loss (I had asked as thought it would be a possible replacement for Trulicity which is out of stock (and will be for months!!).

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak