New to diabetes

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, I was diagnosed yesterday over the telephone. Haven't got through all the emotions yet and moved onto adjustment - its still feeling like a dream.

Horridly high test result of 100. GP set a target of below 53 for me. Dr prescribed 2 x metaformin per day - starting with 1 a day the first two weeks. He thought it would require something else in addition. Although he had a resonable attitude to low carb eating he was very dismissive of being able to reverse diabetes or bring it into remission and challenged me to prove him wrong several times. Is there any hope with low carb and weight loss to improve things or is he right.... I'm doomed.... Not the most helpful thing for me as encouragement goes a long way. He wasn't interested in me testing my glucose with a monitor. I am wondering about getting one - any recommendations?

I'm being sent on a DESMOND course sometime and there will be the local gp diabetic clinic. and an eye test - who knows what has gone on in my body. The blood re-test will be in October as we expect to go away in a few weeks for the whole of September.

Dr Fung's book has dropped through the door today so lots of reading there and the Caldesi recipe book coming soon. What else would people recommend? I'm also looking for a carb app or reference book.

I have been browsing the forum. There is so much helpful information and experience here but I'd greatly appreciate some wise words to balance against the negative attitude of the GP.

Reactions: Janeod

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok. 122 on dx 35 4 months later. I was pretty obsessed though, and a drop that fast could have caused me other problems.

A meter is 100 percent essential for managing your diabetes. @Rachox has some good info.

I went keto the day after I found this forum.

Reactions: Ceppo and Rachox

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Ceppo

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, I was diagnosed yesterday over the telephone. Haven't got through all the emotions yet and moved onto adjustment - its still feeling like a dream.

Horridly high test result of 100. GP set a target of below 53 for me. Dr prescribed 2 x metaformin per day - starting with 1 a day the first two weeks. He thought it would require something else in addition. Although he had a resonable attitude to low carb eating he was very dismissive of being able to reverse diabetes or bring it into remission and challenged me to prove him wrong several times. Is there any hope with low carb and weight loss to improve things or is he right.... I'm doomed.... Not the most helpful thing for me as encouragement goes a long way. He wasn't interested in me testing my glucose with a monitor. I am wondering about getting one - any recommendations?

I'm being sent on a DESMOND course sometime and there will be the local gp diabetic clinic. and an eye test - who knows what has gone on in my body. The blood re-test will be in October as we expect to go away in a few weeks for the whole of September.

Dr Fung's book has dropped through the door today so lots of reading there and the Caldesi recipe book coming soon. What else would people recommend? I'm also looking for a carb app or reference book.

I have been browsing the forum. There is so much helpful information and experience here but I'd greatly appreciate some wise words to balance against the negative attitude of the GP.
Oh yes, it's a shock. And all the worse for not being able to have a face to face consultation due to Coronavirus, I'm sure. The initial "Oh no! How am I ever going to live with this?" panic passes fairly quickly, though. As you learn more about it, you'll realise that it's a life changer, but you don't have to give up on all of your pleasures.

I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, though kind of half way between where you are and upper normal with an A1c of 76. The day my meter arrived, I read an 11.3, and got a 12.5 the day after, both times 90 minutes to 2 hours after eating two slices of bread. Since going to low carb around 10 days ago, I haven't had a single reading over 7.5, and haven't seen past the high 6's in the last 5 days. That might change tomorrow when I go out for a meal, if I decide to treat myself to fish and chips.

As best I can Google, my A1c is indicative of an average level of around 12, with it obviously spiking above that some of the time and dropping below it at others. I'd got levels to the point where my kidneys were working overtime to flush the excess, so constantly drinking fluids (even though I didn't feel particularly thirsty) and waking up with a mouthful of feathers in the morning. That thirst went just from cutting out sweets and biscuits.

Low carb apparently works for some people but not others. All you can do is give it a try. I have a prescription here for Metformin. By the look of things, I won't be filling it. I've told the nurse at my GP surgery, and she's happy for me to try to manage it this way.

Reactions: Ceppo

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He thought it would require something else in addition. Although he had a resonable attitude to low carb eating he was very dismissive of being able to reverse diabetes or bring it into remission and challenged me to prove him wrong several times

I suspect that is because out of the 4 million odd type 2 diabetics in the UK, very few pass through your GPs doors that do manage to 'reverse' diabetes or go into remission or even improve it in any way especially given the standard advice. What some negative GPs do not acknowledge is that a determined individual (such as those on this site) CAN and DO achieve it. You sound like you could be one of them, please come back to us in a few months and describe the look on your sceptical GPs face. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Do get a meter as it's essential. Do follow a low-carb diet as the carbs really are the problem. Don't expect to much from the Metformin as it will help but only a bit. Are you slim? If so there is always the possibility you may be a T1 in which case you certainly will need further meds. If you are overweight then guess T2 and it can be put into remission.

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your welcoming replies guys.
@Rachox
Can you point me in the direction of your advice and info on glucose meters

Reactions: Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your welcoming replies guys.
@Rachox
Can you point me in the direction of your advice and info on glucose meters

Hi @Ceppo and welcome to the forum.

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter with cheap strips, the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively (these are printed on a business card supplied with the meter).

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

So sad the GPs still not supportive of testing blood glucose or low carb.

You sound like you want to take the bull by the horns. You've got this.

Here are some members results. Just from a change in way of eating. Amazing.

I did a little podcast. When I say little, I waffle on for 1 hour but I share my journey which might help you.

https://www.youcuredwhat.com/podcast/Debra/

You won't find a more supportive community.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190824-234546_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20190824-234546_Word.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 339

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So sad the GPs still not supportive of testing blood glucose or low carb.

You sound like you want to take the bull by the horns. You've got this.

Here are some members results. Just from a change in way of eating. Amazing.

I did a little podcast. When I say little, I waffle on for 1 hour but I share my journey which might help you.

https://www.youcuredwhat.com/podcast/Debra/

You won't find a more supportive community.
@Debandez - thoroughly enjoyed listening to your podcast - Gold star to you Mrs - Winner! :)

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

Oh a challenge! I did that, a1c 9.4% to 5.2% in 90 days. You should have seen the look on doc’s face.

I do get their position though, what percentage of people actually try to fix the issue? I know for some people it’s more difficult, but for others, my mother in-law for example. She continues to eat 3 huge bowls of rice daily and wonders why she’s not in control,

I look forward to hearing the story of how you proved doc wrong!

Reactions: Debandez and Ceppo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c 91 to 41 in 6 months.
Really easy, meat, fish, salad stirfry - the tablets made me ill so I stopped them. I have been hoping for some small reason to see the doctor again, but nothing - just to ask if he'd like some help with getting the same for others.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hello @Ceppo,

I was diagnosed exactly with the same HbA1c as you, changed my way of eating, and had a perfectly normal HbA1c three months later. Many others on this forum have had very similar successes. So, for a T2 it can definitely be done.

It looks as if you are off to a running start, really well done. Go show your GP that he's wrong. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: DJC3

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for all that information on meters. Really appreciated.

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Without all of you I would feel very isolated. Thank you for your warmth and information. I am reading my way through Fung and have finished Caldesi today. Working with low carb eating since Sunday night and that seems to be going OK at the moment.

But I wanted to share with you the following text message from my gps received this morning.

"Your Initial Diabetic review is due. Due to the coronavirus situation NHS England has advised that routine reviews should not be carried out at present so we will not be inviting you in at this time. If you have any changes or problems with your condition please do contact the surgery."

I wonder what happened to Facetime or WhatsApp or the telephone. Quite shocking really.

Jen6

I must be very lucky our surgery has been brill. Had my blood tests my nurse rang me with the results. Was told i could reduce my medication from 2 to 1 then half off completely now. The nurse rang me weekly then fortnightly to see if i was doing okay see her in Oct.

Reactions: JenniferM55

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum,

I agree with the previous advice that a meter is necessary and becomes your best friend in the journey to tackling your blood sugar levels. I went keto when I found this site. My blood sugar levels were in the normal range within a couple of weeks.

It is totally normal to feel overwhelmed and many other things but there is light at the end of the tunnel and a chance to 'meet' some amazing people. Stick around read and post and let us know how you are going. Vent if you need to ask questions- you never k now when your question will help someone else.

Good luck and welcome.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum,

I agree with the previous advice that a meter is necessary and becomes your best friend in the journey to tackling your blood sugar levels. I went keto when I found this site. My blood sugar levels were in the normal range within a couple of weeks.

It is totally normal to feel overwhelmed and many other things but there is light at the end of the tunnel and a chance to 'meet' some amazing people. Stick around read and post and let us know how you are going. Vent if you need to ask questions- you never k now when your question will help someone else.

Good luck and welcome.
Very similar experience here. I was getting readings over 11 after eating bread, but from the day I went low carb (and cut out bread completely) I haven't had one over 7.5, even after food, and I've stayed below 7 for over a week. I went low carb less than 2 weeks ago.

I was out with a friend last night who had a long term partner with Type 2. They were outright astonished by the figures I'm getting without any form of medication. The low carb thing is working brilliantly for me. And since a mixed grill with chips didn't spike me last night, I'm cautiously optimistic that I can put this into remission in fairly short order, just by keeping an eye on my carb intake.

Reactions: Perminder1