New type 2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't think of any forum which would give you the same advice as the nurse - I suggest that you stick with us - the healthy diabetics with normal numbers.
We've got all types of diabetics with all sorts of experiences and experience here, so many lucky type twos who have got it beaten. If you do leave, please be very careful - you could well have been misdiagnosed, miss advised and things could go very wrong for you if that is the case - keep this forum in mind if you start to feel ill - and get a meter - if you are misdiagnosed and you are really a type 1 it could save your life to be able to test your blood glucose.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you guys know of a site that might suit me better?
No.. you have had a heap of advice from people with the same condition as you, the majority of whom have had great success is controlling it.
Why do you think your nurse was correct and the people here are wrong?

Reactions: flexi06 and dbr10

Rifkah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess it's the combination of problems that I have mean the advice I have to follow is different to you guys?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it's the combination of problems that I have mean the advice I have to follow is different to you guys?
No it really isn't.. it's that your nurse was misinformed but you seem to have great difficulty in acknowledging it.

Reactions: dbr10

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might be an idea to go back to the nurse and get her to go through what it is she would like you to eat. With no fat and no carb that would just leave protein and I can't believe that anyone, health professional or not, would think that a good idea. Hopefully there has just been misunderstanding because if not that is bad advice. You've already lost lots of weight which can be a red flag in diabetes diagnosis particularly if this all happened quite quickly and your sugars sound as through they have been really high. If you don't want to take the advice of people here, and looking back through the posts it seems pretty sound advice to me , then go back to the nurse and get more clarification. There are other forums around Diabetes UK has a good one, but I doubt the advice would be different to here.

Rifkah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to limit protein to 1g per kg body mas because that turns to sugar in the blood too.

Feel like I'm tearing my hair out here, I need to know what I can eat and some recipes and so on.
I know I'm not allowed to eat vegetables below ground or fruits even tomatoes and peppers.
So just leafy stuf really.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to limit protein to 1g per kg body mas because that turns to sugar in the blood too
If you are limiting carbohydrate then this may not necessarily be true. But to be honest you are trying to do too much at once. Cut out most carbs and you will probably be fine.. providing that is you really do have Type 2.
Sudden unexpected weight loss can be a symptom of Type 1 and if your HbA1c on diagnosis really was 146 mmol/m then I think you need further investigation. That is a very high number. Were you tested for ketones do you recall?

Reactions: flexi06 and dbr10

Rifkah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, they didn't test for ketones.
They've asked me too loose another 14kg or so as they are worried about how overweight I am.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
No, they didn't test for ketones.
They've asked me too loose another 14kg or so as they are worried about how overweight I am.
Rifkah, I am quite concerned about you.
When I saw my diabetic nurse I also fell for every word she said BECAUSE she was a nurse of course. I joined, then left this site too .. because of conflicting advice, and thought my nurse was the one to listen to. But PLEASE stick with this group because .. like myself .. you will find that they all know what they are talking about abd we are all getting results to amaze our nurses and GPs. Read some of the blogs/forums. Ask questions. Take in a little at a time and you WILL see that you are in the rightb place here. My blood glucose levels, from following this site's advice, is now consistently below 6. Just take a leap of faith

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rifkah, I am quite concerned about you.
When I saw my diabetic nurse I also fell for every word she said BECAUSE she was a nurse of course. I joined, then left this site too .. because of conflicting advice, and thought my nurse was the one to listen to. But PLEASE stick with this group because .. like myself .. you will find that they all know what they are talking about abd we are all getting results to amaze our nurses and GPs. Read some of the blogs/forums. Ask questions. Take in a little at a time and you WILL see that you are in the rightb place here. My blood glucose levels, from following this site's advice, is now consistently below 6. Just take a leap of faith
Excellent advice.

Rifkah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do people get away with eating so much food?
I've had a look through the diet sections what people have eaten today there are a few threads like that.
Everyone seems to be eating at least three meals a day and snacks on top?
I generally only eat one meal a day, I just couldn't afford to buy all the food these people would need for a week.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do people get away with eating so much food?
I've had a look through the diet sections what people have eaten today there are a few threads like that.
Everyone seems to be eating at least three meals a day and snacks on top?
I generally only eat one meal a day, I just couldn't afford to buy all the food these people would need for a week.

I’m possibly one of those people, I eat three meals a day plus an afternoon snack. I like variety so may appear to eat a lot of types of food, but I exercise portion control. My meals aren’t large and I space them out, leaving 5 to 6 hours in between to rest my pancreas.

Reactions: Mal37

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Sudden unexpected weight loss can be a symptom of Type 1 and if your HbA1c on diagnosis really was 146 mmol/m then I think you need further investigation. That is a very high number.
This is what I have been thinking as well. Does your nurse know you have lost 20kg in 7 weeks? (If I've calculated the figures right.) Doctors and nurses tend to assume that anyone over the age of 30 must have T2, but it really isn't the case. Do you live alone?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Do you live alone?
Sorry for such a personal question, but if you have T1, there's a possibility that you will become very ill fairly quickly,and need a trip to A&E.

Rifkah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nurse wouldn't believe me that I'd lost weight as my medical record had me about the same weight I am now a couple of years back so she went off those figures. Life changed quite a bit I the mean time I ended up hospitalised and disabled and on a lot of meds that make you gain weight...the docs weren't tracking my weight and I find it hard to get to the surgery unless there is something desperate needs addressing.p with my caring responsibilities and job and being disabled myself.

So yeah, no she is not accounting for weight loss so far but I figure loosing the 14kg she wants off should be easy enough if I'm already loosing it pretty fast any ways. So she should pick up on it pretty fast, seem to have lost a couple of kilos over the weekend and I'm more active at work so it should come off quicker Monday and Tuesday. That's if I can make the appointment Tuesday as work have said they want me in occupational health, sigh. It's going to cost me more to get to work than I'll earn.

I asked my appointee if I could have the money for a glucose meter but he says the NHS should provide one, I'll try ringing the doc Monday to see if they can put it in writing that they are not going to give me one, then I can get back to my appointee about buying one.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Rifkah
I don't think I've read a more despairing thread. It has all the hallmarks of another poor soul about to slip through the cracks. Just looking at your profile I can see that you are also prescribed a good whack of anti-depressants and benzodiazepines. I'm guessing that there may be some mental health issues. Please don't take that as an insult I'm just trying to find a way of getting some semblance of order back for you. We don't judge anybody here and given some of our own rocky roads have a great deal of empathy for those that feel afraid and exposed. It was rather unprofessional of your nurse to give you the worst of the worst outcomes and attempt to arouse even further anxiety. I'm not a medical doctor and I've made quite a lot of assumptions. None of us can fix all your medical problems but at least we can help problem solve.

It needs a calm and logical approach. Based on a little bit of logic and your previous post regarding body weight you seem to be about 70kg. If a BMI of 20 shows a weight of 56kg then I guess you are about 167cm tall. In that case, a weight of 70kg equates to a current BMI of about 25. Sure you are slightly overweight. You are not obese. Weight is the least of your problems at this point in time. In comparison, your HbA1c is stated as 146. That's horrendous and it is way more important to get this down than lose a few more kilos.

I see that you are also taking blood pressure medication. Is this a lifestyle result or the effects of drugs like Venlafaxine.

More logic to come. You reveal an alarming weight loss. Firstly, there are three and only three food groups, namely, fats, protein and carbohydrates. If you are avoiding fats and carbs then your entire daily energy requirements are being supplied alone by proteins. Now, with a body mass of 70kg and consulting the tables you require a daily intake of about 9300kJ of energy just to maintain your body weight. By all accounts so far you are eating about 70g of chicken or fish per day. That's about 300kJ in total. Where is the remaining 9000 coming from. Little wonder you are vanishing. The remaining energy will come from your body's internal storage and thus the weight loss.

It is clear that the dietary advice you have been given is wrong. Lines like proteins turn into sugar and fats turn into sugar are true. Everything turns into sugar. That's what your brain feeds on. The difference is that the metabolic process is very slow with these two groups and doesn't cause problems with blood sugar levels. Carbs on the other hand are broken down very quickly and the diabetics inability to metabolise and use it correctly causes the level in the blood to rise. Perhaps your nurse was worried about cholesterol levels but we have no information on this. At this point, the raging blood sugar is far more important. When the time comes you should get a full lipid profile for your cholesterol and then decide on a course of action. In the meantime, reduce the carbs and consume a few thousand kJ of fats and proteins. If you are really worried about fats, go for the unsaturated types. Stay clear of low fat milk, cheese, yoghurt and butter. They're loaded with sugar.

Without knowing you I suggest that you need professional help above what the diabetic nurse can give you. Seek it out in a forthright manner. Don't take ****.
Glenn

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM and flexi06

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Except that she is wrong. Fats do not get turned into sugar by gluconeogenesis in fact it is protein that does but only when the body needs it.I'm sorry but you have either been very badly informed or haven't quite understood her properly.
That's not quite true. Body fats ( triglycerides ) are metabolized by this process. It doesn't matter much though as it is 'as required' and a slow process.

Rifkah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rifkah
I don't think I've read a more despairing thread. It has all the hallmarks of another poor soul about to slip through the cracks. Just looking at your profile I can see that you are also prescribed a good whack of anti-depressants and benzodiazepines. I'm guessing that there may be some mental health issues. Please don't take that as an insult I'm just trying to find a way of getting some semblance of order back for you. We don't judge anybody here and given some of our own rocky roads have a great deal of empathy for those that feel afraid and exposed. It was rather unprofessional of your nurse to give you the worst of the worst outcomes and attempt to arouse even further anxiety. I'm not a medical doctor and I've made quite a lot of assumptions. None of us can fix all your medical problems but at least we can help problem solve.

It needs a calm and logical approach. Based on a little bit of logic and your previous post regarding body weight you seem to be about 70kg. If a BMI of 20 shows a weight of 56kg then I guess you are about 167cm tall. In that case, a weight of 70kg equates to a current BMI of about 25. Sure you are slightly overweight. You are not obese. Weight is the least of your problems at this point in time. In comparison, your HbA1c is stated as 146. That's horrendous and it is way more important to get this down than lose a few more kilos.

I see that you are also taking blood pressure medication. Is this a lifestyle result or the effects of drugs like Venlafaxine.

More logic to come. You reveal an alarming weight loss. Firstly, there are three and only three food groups, namely, fats, protein and carbohydrates. If you are avoiding fats and carbs then your entire daily energy requirements are being supplied alone by proteins. Now, with a body mass of 70kg and consulting the tables you require a daily intake of about 9300kJ of energy just to maintain your body weight. By all accounts so far you are eating about 70g of chicken or fish per day. That's about 300kJ in total. Where is the remaining 9000 coming from. Little wonder you are vanishing. The remaining energy will come from your body's internal storage and thus the weight loss.

It is clear that the dietary advice you have been given is wrong. Lines like proteins turn into sugar and fats turn into sugar are true. Everything turns into sugar. That's what your brain feeds on. The difference is that the metabolic process is very slow with these two groups and doesn't cause problems with blood sugar levels. Carbs on the other hand are broken down very quickly and the diabetics inability to metabolise and use it correctly causes the level in the blood to rise. Perhaps your nurse was worried about cholesterol levels but we have no information on this. At this point, the raging blood sugar is far more important. When the time comes you should get a full lipid profile for your cholesterol and then decide on a course of action. In the meantime, reduce the carbs and consume a few thousand kJ of fats and proteins. If you are really worried about fats, go for the unsaturated types. Stay clear of low fat milk, cheese, yoghurt and butter. They're loaded with sugar.

Without knowing you I suggest that you need professional help above what the diabetic nurse can give you. Seek it out in a forthright manner. Don't take ****.
Glenn

Thanks for understanding. I have schizophrenia, I'm heading towards a relaps at present waiting for the psychiatrist to get back from a letter sent two weeks ago tomorrow. Nothing urgent to them but it would be nice to get some help sooner rather than letter as I don't want to go back to hospital.

My lipids are high across the board (except HDL) they have been since I started an antipsychotic (major tranquilliser), they said they wouldn't treat it though. I was told anything under 5% fat when they notice the fats were high, but to be fair I was very ill at the time. I remember the doc asking all of what I'd eaten the previous day and telling him in all honesty two tangerines.

I didn't know about the sugar in milk Good bye morning coffee. I don't get why my diet has to be so harsh when folks on the diet threads here are consuming a couple of glasses of red wine and a couple of potions of bread a day?

I work a moderately physical job, pedometer says I do about 8miles a day there and there is lifting involved too. I shoot archery twice a week for about three hours a session (I think it works out about another four miles) and swim three times a week for about an hour covering about a km. I'm a bit stuck for doing anything more aerobic, the anti psychotics effect gait and slow you down so for example I've fallen and needed a and e quite a few times rushing to the loo, the signals all go out but the body doesn't quite do what you tell it. I'm not allowed to drive or operate heavy machinery because of this. I need assistance in the kitchen with hot things as my reflexes and pain sensors don't work quite as well as someone not on the drugs.

I don't know why my blood pressure is high, probably because I'm not sleeping more than about an hour at a time? I get nightmares and flash backs so get pretty high spikes in blood pressure around the 180s as I'm struggling at the moment these are quite frequent, they put me on a 24hr meter and I think I slept 1.5 hr that night so it was probably no a typical reading. The blood pressure medication has done nothing to reduce the in office readings but they won't increase it just keep saying give it more time. Work occupational health are not happy my bp is so high but I can only ask the doc to change my meds I can't make him do it. I have another occupational health appointment on Tuesday.