Newbie help pls

princesss01

:cry:
Just had it confirmed today that I have diabetes, why so many blood tests? Got to have cholesterol, thyroid, liver and kidneys bloods done tomorrow. Is this normal? Gave me flu and swine flu jab too and got to go back next week for pneumonia jab. Hate needles!!!! Any advice would be welcome. :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Everything is normal as far as a Diabetic goes. You will have to get used to needles as most Diabetics have to have regular HbA1c checks along with anything else your Doc thinks is required. Probably best to look the other way. :)

Have they told you what Type you were dignosed with ?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Princesss

Sorry to have to welcome you to the forum but hey, welcome anyway. There is a lot to get your head around and if you are not yet confused you soon will be :wink: but the good news is that there is a wealth of great information here on the forum so you've come to the right place to find advice and support.

If you have any specific questions just ask and I am sure some helpful answers will be posted.

Be positive and learn all you can about your condition is the best advice I can offer, and try to have a Merry Christmas despite your bad news :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
princesss01 said:
Hi, yes it's type 2. Need to lose fair bit of weight as bmi is 36 but hoping my sugars will lower when I get to goal weight?!!!!

Aha ! You need to get your Bg numbers lower in the first instance, this will then also aid your weight loss sooner.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
princess.
If you need to lose weight and control blood glucose, then it might be that the reduced carbohydrate approach is the one for you. Look through this forum and you'll find a lot of information about this way of eating. You'll find too that it's not for everyone, but you will have to decide for yourself.
Hana

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya princess and a warm welcome to the forum :D

wallycorker

Hi princess01,

It's the usual advice from me - to any Type 2 such as myself - is to cut down on the starchy carbohydrate that you eat - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes mainly but also be careful of pasta and rice etc too. That usually leads to a big and quick improvement in blood glucose levels.

Best wishes - John