Newcastle Diet and Medicine

Time2Change

I am currently on the Newcastle diet - 6 days in

I take 1/ day metformin + ramipril + statin

Unfortunately where i am just now working offshore i am at the mercy of what is on offer at any given time regards food etc.

My current programme for now is:

Breakfast - I have a shake.
Lunch - There is little veg or salad options so i have been dipping into the soups at lunchtime e.g had tomato and lentil but if i do i sacrifice a shake.
Dinner - Pot luck .... had veg ragu last night + bowl of salad .... usually soup + bowl veg/ salad
Excersise - Every other day do a 5k on treadmill and every other day sauna.
Snack - I have a shake.

Questions are:
1) OK to continue with the medicine or should i shelve anything for duration of diet ?
2) Is there any flexibility in the diet e.g. sacrificing a shake for a soup ? cant be 100% there isnt something slightly naughty in the soup like root veg etc .... i dont take it if its like a potato etc. .... but i did take the tomato and lentil.

Thanks in advance

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I don't envy your situation. I have zero experience with the Newcastle diet myself but there will be others here who have personal knowledge.

I've found that most prepared and restaurant/canteen soups have some sort of thickener in them which is usually carb heavy. Lentils are high in carbs as well. If you have a look at the dietdoctor website there could be some lower carb ideas for you there.

best of luck

Reactions: Time2Change

Time2Change

Hi, I don't envy your situation. I have zero experience with the Newcastle diet myself but there will be others here who have personal knowledge.

I've found that most prepared and restaurant/canteen soups have some sort of thickener in them which is usually carb heavy. Lentils are high in carbs as well. If you have a look at the dietdoctor website there could be some lower carb ideas for you there.

best of luck
Like I say I am at the mercy of the galley .... my thought process is ultimately it is a calorie driven diet so if i sacrifice a shake and/ or do some excersise calorie wise i am still net less than 800.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Time2Change. ND veteran here. . Can you be more specific about what you define as Newcastle diet? My understanding is the following the regime set out by Taylor et al. https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwncla.../files/201809 Sample Recipes & meal plans.pdf Basically it would be 3 meal replacement shakes and some servings of low calorie vegetables, such as salad greens or veg soups without added starcy veg, or thickeners such as flour, rice pulses. I would imagine it is virtually impossible to follow if your meals, prepared by someone else, have unknown ingredients.

As for the medication, that is not something we can advise about. During my Newcastle diet, which was in the very early days, of the research, 2011, I was monitored weekly by a pharmacist, for blood pressure, ketones in urine. Also monitored monthly at GP surgery, to check blood glucose, and weight. The decision to stop medication was made in consultation with HCPs as my weight and BG reduced. I doubt NHS GPS would still be able to offer such support in post covid pandemic era, but I would certainly not advocate going alone on this ND regime , especially when medication is concerned.

Time2Change

Hi @Time2Change. ND veteran here. . Can you be more specific about what you define as Newcastle diet? My understanding is the following the regime set out by Taylor et al. https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/newcastlemagneticresonancecentre/files/201809 Sample Recipes & meal plans.pdf Basically it would be 3 meal replacement shakes and some servings of low calorie vegetables, such as salad greens or veg soups without added starcy veg, or thickeners such as flour, rice pulses. I would imagine it is virtually impossible to follow if your meals, prepared by someone else, have unknown ingredients.

As for the medication, that is not something we can advise about. During my Newcastle diet, which was in the very early days, of the research, 2011, I was monitored weekly by a pharmacist, for blood pressure, ketones in urine. Also monitored monthly at GP surgery, to check blood glucose, and weight. The decision to stop medication was made in consultation with HCPs as my weight and BG reduced. I doubt NHS GPS would still be able to offer such support in post covid pandemic era, but I would certainly not advocate going alone on this ND regime , especially when medication is concerned.

Yes I am doing the 800cal 3 shake a day.

I cannot 100% control the soup ingredients .... but i can, to a degree, control the calories through not having a shake and doing some excercise ?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You said you are at the mercy of the galley - but if you are on a rig/vessel/whatever under a country with a disability discrimination law you should be able to get a legal disability adjustment for diabetes.
I used this when staying in hotels for conferences - their 'this is what you get policy' for conference meals is always discussed politely (at first) and a special meal is then provided.