Newcastle diet

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pompeygirl said:
I am t2 diagnosed 2 mths ago currently low carbing with some success but not enough. I am considering trying the newcastle diet does anyone have any advice?

Well, it appears to work, so you can feel optimisitic. However, you don't have to stick to the original strict 600cal per day regime. Prof Roy Taylor doesn't recommend it. It was done to mimick the effects of having a gastric band fitted. Taylor recoomends a less strict regime and weight loss over a period of several months:

"The particular diet used in the study was designed to mimic the sudden reduction of calorie intake that occurs after gastric bypass surgery. By using such a vigorous approach, we were testing whether we could reverse diabetes in a similar short time period to that observed after surgery.

The essential point is that substantial weight loss must be achieved. The time course of weight loss is much less important.

It is a simple fact that the fat stored in the wrong parts of the body (inside the liver and pancreas) is used up first when the body has to rely upon its own stores of fat to burn. Any pattern of eating which brings about substantial weight loss over a period of time will be effective. Different approaches suit different individuals best."

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/di ... dy_000.pdf

Of course, taking a longer period of time also requires some personal discipline. I found though, that by extensively testing, I found what foods did and did not suit me and discovered meals that I enjoyed which kept my BGs low and helped me to lose weight. I also exercised more, a ittle to begin with - I wasn't fit enough to do more than a couple of mins -- but now I enjoy say 2 x 15 mins on a bike or rower per day. Losing weight and taking some exercise is good advice but you need to lose more weight and take more exercise than the GP's 'a little'. Also, avoid white carbs, sugar, white flour, white rice etc like the plague and test how you react to things like brown rice, porridge oats, barley, pulses etc.. People have different reactions but generally these are OK, though you might have to limit the amount you eat.

Pompeygirl

Thank you for the link very interesting. Im already very low carb with no rice potatoes pasta or bread and have just recently stopped my morning porridge.
Perhaps replacing one meal to reduce calorie intake would help and be less drastic if time isnt the issue

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can find the time, an increase in activity of some sort will help if you, for example, have one meal replacement shake. The combination of diet and exercise does work. Easier said than done though.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My advice would be not to worry about any 'branded' diet but just stick to low-carbing to the extent necessary to get your blood sugar and weight in the right region. It's carbs that can cause the big rise in blood sugar due to easy conversion by the body into glucose and diabetics don't have the right insulin control mechanisms in place. Having fats as well can also slow-up the carb absorption. In many ways the Newcastle diet is good for diabetes but why follow a particular 'brand' when all you need to do is keep the carbs down and eat other foods reasonably sensibly and in sensible portion sizes.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pompeygirl said:
I am t2 diagnosed 2 mths ago currently low carbing with some success but not enough. I am considering trying the newcastle diet does anyone have any advice?

How many calories a day are you on now?
If you low carb, do you high fat, or high protein?

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
It's not a blooming branded. My advice is begger the nay sayers do read the research and ignore the negativity.

Pompeygirl

Hi mongoose i have only just begun to read s bit about it. I have had done success with low carb but the very low calorie emphasis on weight loss and the benefits of this seem to make sense to me, if, as seems to be the case, the real impact to be made on. T2 is from weight loss

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Weight loss and exercise if you can handle it is the way to go. It does not work for everyone. It appears to have worked for me. Not just in overall lowering of blood glucose levels and big improvements in 2 hour post meal results but also massive improvement in blood pressure and resting pulse.

I never low carbed just sensibly reduced and ate better over all.

It is not easy and shouldn't be entered into llightly

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pompeygirl said:
Around 1000 calories i try and keep fat low and high protein

That's close enough to the Newcastle diet anyway.
How many g of carbs do you have a day at the moment?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pompeygirl said:
I aim for 30 to 50

On 2000 calories that would be very low carb, say 1000 calories from carbs, 4 calories per g, so 250g normal intake.

I'm on a similar restricted amount of calories, so 1000 calories would be 125g a day pro rata.

I tend not to eat carbs that don't work for me, so I'm probably down to a similar level as you.

I've lost over 3 stone.

Your diet at the moment sounds extreme enough, it may not be wise to eat any less tbh.

Pompeygirl

I have eaten less and less as the weeks have gone by both carbs and food in general . Driven by my readings, my morning reading is always between 8 and. 9 and if i dont eat carbs by afternoon it can be 6.5 . Most carbs will put this up so my average tends to be around 8. Hence my wanting to try something different. I have lost a stone and a half but another 2 to go. I am on max metformin so i really want to lower my readings before my next blood tests in january. Or maybe im just being impatient

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It took me a few months to get down from the 9s and 10s through the 8s and 9s down to the 6s and 7s and then it took me as long again to get down to the 4s and 5s, but I'm doing significantly more exercise now.

The main thing is to find a diet that you enjoy and one you can live with and which helps keep the weight down and the sugar levels low.

Writing in Medscape, Roy Taylor states:

"The extent of weight loss required to reverse type 2 diabetes is much greater than conventionally advised. A clear distinction must be made between weight loss that improves glucose control but leaves blood glucose levels abnormal and weight loss of sufficient degree to normalize pancreatic function. The Belfast diet study provides an example of moderate weight loss leading to reasonably controlled, yet persistent diabetes. This study showed that a mean weight loss of 11 kg decreased fasting blood glucose levels from 10.4 to 7.0 mmol/L but that this abnormal level presaged the all-too-familiar deterioration of control."

Most people will achieve good results early on. Somehow, you have to bite through that initial success and continue driving your weight and glucose levels down. To re-emphasise the role of exercise, Taylor adds:

"The role of physical activity must be considered. Increased levels of daily activity bring about decreases in liver fat stores, and a single bout of exercise substantially decreases both de novo lipogenesis and plasma VLDL."

At 1000 calories a day you will lose weight until you level out. That's when exercise becomes necessary. For some people, weight loss will be slow, for others, it will be faster. That's just one of the mysteries of different peoples' individual metabolism. But, weight loss will occur and no matter how long it takes, if you are reducing your carbs, you are not making your diabetes worse. Some people on this forum have reported that during this 'plateaux', they have been able to come off metformin and BG levels have remained stable. Changes will happen, no matter how subtle.

This is a case of hyperlipidaemia where the centrifuged blood sample causes the lipds to flow to the top. Normally one would expect a centimenter or so. A single bout of exercise however can reduce that by half, though the effect peaks at 12 hours and only lasts for a day. There is merit in those old sayings about walking off a meal or taking a daily constitutional.

230px-Hyperlipidaemia_-_lipid_in_EDTA_tube.jpg

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Yorksman, as usual your answers are well researched and well considered.

receptorgirl

I have been on this diet for five weeks now. The last week has been hard. I was given a three month window to try diet alone by my doctor as I had such a bad reaction to the drugs they gave me. I have lost 14kg so far, so its a good start but changing my diet is for life. There is no quick fix. The real hard work starts when the diet ends.

Pompeygirl

Yes mongoose i agree yorksman thankyou for taking the time to give do much info. Basically then if normal pancreatic function is a possibility weight loss has to go beyond the point where levels become normal. I realise this will take much effort and determination but IF its a possibility then its worth it. You are right too that as long as im achieving weight loss on my current diet then with exercise there is probably no need to be any more drastic

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lost 35kgs and down now to 75kgs. I did this by testing to find the trigger foods that would raise my blood sugars and the walked and walked and walked. Then ran as well and then cycled as well. Everyday. Reduced my food intake down to 1200 cals a day. I cut out all pastas and bread and rice and went nearly vegetarian but at loads of fish. It becomes easy to do once you find the way. But you need to be strong. No cheating. Count your calories correctly don't short change your diary. Find the time for exercise because there is time if you are serious about getting it all under control. And you need motivation. For me I had a heart attack so that did it for me. Motivated for life now. I don't want to be on that bed dying again. So you don't need fancy names to call what you are doing. You are making life style changes for the better. Get on with it don't find reasons why you can't do it find reasons why you can. It takes hard work to start and then it takes time for it to be a habit.