1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed on Friday, little to no info from Doctor, is that normal?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by IronLioness, Oct 6, 2018.

1. IronLioness

IronLioness Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Daisy, thank you for this information! It's really helpful because to be honest, my first question which continues is if I should be testing my blood sugar levels - over the past few days I've read so much on people checking their levels before and after food etc but my doctor never at all addressed it, I wondered if it's something he missed or should have said! Very odd. I've stopped eating carbs unless part of the natural food source and I'm only eating those low in carbs, but I think I need to see the diabetic nurse to get a blood sugar monitor or the like. My Dad tested me using his kit - the finger prick electronic reader and this morning it showed 8.2, but I don't know what that means if its super high or low. I'll investigate A few months ago we did the same and it was in the 5s, so it seems that whatever I've been doing in the past few months has pushed it way up the line. I think I do need that monitor, though, for education and to keep myself in check. Thank you again, the information is much appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Kinda depends exactly when you tested, - check this out!
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

• Like Like x 1
  3. IronLioness

Thanks @Prem51 I appreciate your reply. I'm still in knowledge seeking mode and this is really helpful to me. It's really been a smack in the face to sort my lifestyle out, but morseo, the consistency and doing it right. I'm determined to do whatever needed to get back into range, the thought of the complications I've seen my Dad get really scares the heck out of me. Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated and I'm taking on board all the information.

• Like Like x 2
  4. IronLioness

Thanks @urbanracer v helpful to know this! I think I really need to get my hands on a testing kit, to keep it consistent rather than a scatter approach. I tested this morning just before breakfast so I guess that falls in the 'fasting' category, maybe?! It would be good to know what my count is so I can self monitor.. If I leave it up to the doctor suggestion of just diet and exercise and 'come back in 3mths' I'll be in a total pickle!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Many of us self test, so we aren’t working ‘blind’ between lab blood tests. You’d be very lucky if you got testing kit on prescription.
    Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Edit to add that the Tee2 strips appear to be out of stock at the moment, but if you buy the SD Code Free the strips work out cheaper anyway if you use the discount codes above.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

For more reading click the home tab at the top right of this page and the host site hasnpages and pages of information to digest

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I’ve reversed mine so can you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. IronLioness

@Cana that's what my doctor said too! Although, I'm really not sure if he meant gone totally or just 'managed', as some other folks gave said?! It was *the* most bizarre conversation I've had, and sadly a very important topic. I got off the phone with actually no idea on actual facts, doh!

• Hug Hug x 2
  9. IronLioness

Thanks for this Rachox! I'll get on this and start meal planning!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. IronLioness

Jo, thank you for this reply! Sad that it'll never 'go', but I think that was me having wishful thinking after initial Doctor chat. Thanks for the notes about the 'complications', to be honest, it freaked me out completely thinking about all what Dad went through I could be heading towards - then the self flagellation kicked in that I've let it get this far, yeesh... But, no time for that now, I need to focus on getting back in range, so, I think it's time to buy my own testing kit, if the Docs won't give me one. I'm not happy just 'winging it' until 3mth check in, I'd rather get a head start and figure out what makes it normal or spiked. Thank you for all the information, its very much appreciated and I'll go through all of it. I'm shocked we just get diagnosed then sent off with little to no info from the actual Doctor! Ironically, I work in government health care and this experience has totally opened my eyes to how rubbish access to info, treatment etc is. It's not good enough, by far! If it wasn't for you guys and this site I would be in an absolute state! Thank you x

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. IronLioness

This is what I don't understand, it's literally come out of nowhere as my last blood test for something was in March, nothing and normal not even pre diabetic, then I also did a few random finger blood tests through my Dad's machine and all were around 5ish and that was a few months ago, then bosh, it's gone to over 8 and into 48 on the diabetic scale! I'm thinking "what the heck happened?!" (to make it shoot up), I can't get my head around that. Literally no warning, not even pre diabetic.. But I'll be sure to continue the weight training, I've spent all evening reading various posts and articles and I think I need a self test kit on the ASAP, and also to start back into my weightlifting, and hope it helps! Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate the info!

• Like Like x 2
  12. IronLioness

Perfect!!! Thanks for these, tomorrow I'll set about getting kitted up!

• Like Like x 2
  13. IronLioness

Ooh, hope!!! How did you reverse it NewTD2? Also, when you say 'reversed' do you mean maintaining or totally eradicated?

14. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

@IronLioness Unfortunately many people on here got very little advice when we were told we were T2.
    But at least your gp did say it could be 'reversed'. Most of us were told it is a progressive disease, and that we would inevitably go on to increasing medication.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I didn't have anything to go on at first either, I just read a lot of books, and didn't find this place until much later. It would've shaved months off my research and experimenting, but hey, I'm here now. What I needed most in the beginning though was people telling me it would be okay, that I wasn't completely powerless in this and that I wasn't to blame. Because I wasn't, just as you're not. It's a genetic predisposition, it would've hit you sooner or later. Especially with the dietary advice we're spoonfed, and the carbs added to advertised as -and seemingly- healthy foods, there's no avoiding it, really. The first time I went to a dietician for advice for my obesity she told me to eat 6 additional slices of bread a day. More carbs. Loads more carbs. Pasta, potatoes, rice... I followed her advice to the letter, and promptly became morbidly obese. Then she told me I'm just "one of those people" and said I'd just have to live with it as there was nothing I could do. I believed her, sadly, as I figured she was the hospital's expert and she'd know what she was talking about. And I didn't have to come back again. By the time I was diagnosed T2 I was sent back to her. When the appointment rolled around though, I'd already implemented LCHF, and since my bloods were better, and I'd lost weight, she didn't know what to do with me and sent me on my way again. (I wasn't likely to take her advice anyway. Of eating cereal and such...) The professionals don't know what to do with us because they're not taught either, there's a whole lot to be gained in knowledge on T2's... (And T1's for that matter). Who knows, you might be able to make a difference. But first and foremost, take care of yourself, learn, and know that knowledge is power. In the end, I have a bunch of auto-immune issues and health muck-ups.... But T2 is the only one I have any control over. That's, practically, the easy one.

I do hope everything'll turn up sunshine and rainbows, but just in case, there's actual help out there. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I was on loads of 'healthy' carbs to lower cholesterol - I got to 264lbs and then was diagnosed with diabetes with a Hba1c of 91.
    On a low carb diet I am now at the top end of normal and have been since 6 months from diagnosis. I am three stone lighter and a lot thinner around the middle - I had an equator rather than a waist.
    I can now eat more than the 50 gm of carbs a day I was on to get my blood glucose levels down - but I am eating 40 gm a day to try to lose more weight. The carbs don't seem to raise my BG levels like they used to, but I don't do well on them, and I can put on weight so easily. I call my diabetes status 'negated' as it has zero impact on my physical wellbeing.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BloodThirsty

BloodThirsty · Well-Known Member

Who says so?
    Try researching PubMed - there is stacks of associated literature.
    For instance: Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of beta cell function in association with decreased pancreas and liver triacylglycerol.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BloodThirsty

BloodThirsty · Well-Known Member

Pardon my grammatical error.
    Reminds me of the uni quip aimed at the engineering faculty.
    "I always wanted to be an engineer and now I are one".

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nexus6

Nexus6 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

The other thing you may note is that when you go to the diabetic information course, it is highly likely to be the traditional curriculum based on information many here go directly against. I am in Canada and pre-diabetic, and the first thing my doctor said here and the information at the course was to eat low fat, increase some fibre, eat more times per day, and eat lean meat etc.

My doctor also said not to test blood glucose levels (don't understand why really), but it is the best thing I ever did!! I got immediate feedback on everything that I could/could not eat in relation to glucose levels.

I have reduced my glucose levels (at least after eating...my morning glucose levels are still high), like many here, by going to a high fat, low carb lifestyle. You've got some decisions ahead.... But ask all the questions you want here...great group!!

• Like Like x 2
  20. MikeStrutter

MikeStrutter · Member

Hi

I was diagnosed T2 at the end of May and was given no advice by the gp beyond 'make a few small lifestyle changes', discovered this forum and read nearly everything on it and am now in the non-diabetic range.

I followed the low carb and fasting route and weight training 5 times a week. No I'll effects and muscle mass and strength increasing at a decent rate ... on par with training some 20 years previously. I've also lost 4 stone so no complaints!

My advice would definitely be keep up the weights and adopt a low carb diet - they work hand in hand for me.

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook