Newly diagnosed

Hi Everyone Im 29 and i was diagnosed on Thursday with type 2 diabetes and then put on metformin I have to take one table once a day for the first week then take 2 after the first week, I'm not really sure what to do all my doctor said was that I'm type 2 need to go on tables and have a blood test in 6 weeks time to see if the tables are working of they are not will have to start using insulin. He didn't say about thing about what I should eat or not or if I'm going to be referred to a diabetes nurse I'm at a bit of a loss to be fair I haven't a clue what to eat and what not to eat.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone Im 29 and i was diagnosed on Thursday with type 2 diabetes and then put on metformin I have to take one table once a day for the first week then take 2 after the first week, I'm not really sure what to do all my doctor said was that I'm type 2 need to go on tables and have a blood test in 6 weeks time to see if the tables are working of they are not will have to start using insulin. He didn't say about thing about what I should eat or not or if I'm going to be referred to a diabetes nurse I'm at a bit of a loss to be fair I haven't a clue what to eat and what not to eat.
Hello and welcome to the club nobody wants to belong to.
It can be daunting, but you have come to the right place for advice, and suggestions, and support.
There are some links in my signature that may be of use. Have a read. Come back and ask any questions you like. No question is too daft, and there are plenty of helpful members here.
Good luck.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @amylouiserow21 and welcome to the forums.

Do you know what tests your doctor did to determine that you are diabetic? Test results are useful because they give you a baseline to work from to see if your diet and/or medication is working.

Many of the T2s on here reduce their blood glucose levels by reducing the carbohydrate in their diet (T2s are genetically predisposed not to handle carbs well).

@Pipp has some excellent links in her signature and here's my favourite intro to a low carb diet and T2.

JoKalsbeek's blog | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

It's disappointing that your doctor hasn't given you more information, but there's always someone to listen and talk to you on here. Don't panic.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
So many doctors do this ... just leave you in the lurch, rather than taking a few minutes to explain more to you. It is so unfair after a big shock! Thank goodness for sites like this one who understand your confusion (and often terror) at the diagnosis. Please try to read some of the posts on the forum for newly diagnosed people and ask whatever questions you need. Thre is always lots of help and it gets better I promise x

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Did they say at all why immediately onto insulin if the metformin doesn’t work? There could be good reasons but it feels a rapid escalation to me and from personal experience they usually have a more varied path and choice of treatments initially.

it’s unfortunate you haven’t been given enough advice but ask questions and we can try and help to give you pointers to discuss

Do you know what your hba1c level is?

Hiya yeah he did a fasting one and my level was 6.6 and another one he said the look at how the last 3 months of my sugar have been there were 46 but now they are 52 that's why he put me on medication.

Hiya yeah I had gestational diabetes with my second and third pregnancy but my third I had it really really bad with to the point I was on 62 units of insulin by the end of my pregnancy. He said coz of that my body can't really handle it that well so they are going to try me on the metformin first see how I am with that then go from there.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, your story now makes a lot more sense. I guess you're being monitored carefully for diabetes because of the GD.

I don't suppose your GP gave you a blood glucose testing meter? He'll have to give you one if you end up on insulin but it would be really useful to have one now because you'd be able to tell how your body reacts to the things that you are eating....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@amylouiserow21 If you are truly type 2, and an ordinary one, then you are more likely to be over producing insulin than needing to inject it.
Your GP might well be reacting to your medical history, as with your Hba1c of 52 you are only just into diabetes numbers.
Usually a few months of diet are tried even before starting the tablets.
Unfortunately some people are really sensitive to Metformin - I am one - and it results in really violent diarrhoea - something you should have been warned about.
I eat very few carbs - the equivalent of 40 gm of carbs a day or less, but I was way into the higher levels. I eat protein and fat to make up my nutritional needs, which I enjoy greatly.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya yeah he did a fasting one and my level was 6.6 and another one he said the look at how the last 3 months of my sugar have been there were 46 but now they are 52 that's why he put me on medication.
Hi @amylouiserow21 ,

Oh, that's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction your doc has there...! For one thing, there are many more drugs to try before one ends up on insulin, if one does want to go the medicinal route... And you're just barely over the diagnostic threshold (which is 48). If you change your diet you'd be back into the normal range in no time at all. I get that GD has to be treated with insulin for you and your baby's safety, but you've likely developed T2 since... And there's no need to wield a needle just yet! EllieM mentioned The Nutritional Thingy... You go over it, do a dietary overhaul, and by your next review you won't actually NEED any medication, most likely...! You can blow them out of the water, just like that.

You're going to be fine. No insulin in your immediate future.
Hugs,
Jo

Last edited: