NHS Diabetic Education Training Course

LadyJay

Hi
I’ve been pre diabetic for years (I’m 72) and controlling it with diet and ideas from this site.
Last year my anxiety levels were through the roof as my husband was rushed to hospital with suspected stroke and, although relatively well now on meds, he is still so worried that it might happen again. Consequently we are both on edge!
I assume that my latest A1c test went to 50 because of the stress. I got it down to 48 after a month but the nurse has decided I am now diabetic. She is sending me to the NHS Diabetic Education Training Centre for an all day course and wants me to have another test in a year.
Thoughts anyone? Am I going to hear the opposite of what is on this site and will be wasting my time?
Thanks

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I’ve been pre diabetic for years (I’m 72) and controlling it with diet and ideas from this site.
Last year my anxiety levels were through the roof as my husband was rushed to hospital with suspected stroke and, although relatively well now on meds, he is still so worried that it might happen again. Consequently we are both on edge!
I assume that my latest A1c test went to 50 because of the stress. I got it down to 48 after a month but the nurse has decided I am now diabetic. She is sending me to the NHS Diabetic Education Training Centre for an all day course and wants me to have another test in a year.
Thoughts anyone? Am I going to hear the opposite of what is on this site and will be wasting my time?
Thanks
Hi LadyJay and welcome.

I did my "welcome to T2 diabetes" course exactly four years ago in 2020. In my area it's called DICE - "Diabetes In Control Everyday". I was expecting the standard NHS Eatwell plate approach, and I was partly right. My wife expected me home after an hour, because she thought I'd be thrown out for arguing. The course was run by a diabetic nurse and a dietitian.

The nurse did the Eatwell plate stuff - lots of carbs, cut fat, red meat only every so often, all as expected. The dietitian (excellent stuff from him) however advised low-carb, dropping carbs (the shock in the room when he said carbs were completely unnecessary) instead eating meat and natural fats etc. So we had in front of us the new and failing NHS "eat lots of carb" advice and the traditional pre-1985 low carb/drop starches and sugars approach.

I have to say a lot of people on the course were very confused. The ones who weren't were already low-carbing before we started the course. You might be lucky, and get someone like the dietitian.

[edited for clarity]

Last edited:

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nursie can't be that bothered if you aren't getting another test for a year.

Do have a good read around here, and any time you'd like some friendly support, we are here for you. It won't take anything like a year - probably only a few weeks - for you to get hold of your blood glucose readings again by a few tweaks to your diet and lifestyle. Stress is one of the many factors that raises BG. And you have certainly been under a lot of stress. Can I assume you are testing your blood glucose readings?

I hope your husband makes a good recovery from his stroke. I did, so it is possible, but every case is different.

Thornliebank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Morning all,Still trying to get my head rounding it all , first diagnosed diabetic after one blood test 48 ! then after second 42 ¡ pre diabetic, advised to just watch diet , type 2 .
came on this site which has lots of so useful information.
this week not feeling right so decided to test after meals , the range is from 6 to 9.5 , yes I’m panicking, had an appointment with doc yesterday re another problem , in the time I was with him conversation went from nothing to worry about till reaches 10 to this problem with your feet could be problems with the nerve ends ?( quite painful but not all the time )
eventually told me to book a fasting blood test at hospital , which Iv done.

i have cut out most carbs and eat very small portions ,
however two of many queries , 1 , I don’t eat many veg ?
2, are frozen berries and Greek yogurt better thank fruit salad and yogurt .

i thought I was doing so well , I understand it’s a long ride and not a sprint but am more confused than ever.
i asked about the diabetic education course that I was supposed to go on , but he referred that to the nurse.

im certainly not feeling right ,blood test next week!
any help or suggestions would be very welcome
your all so helpful
thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi LadyJay and welcome.

I did my "welcome to T2 diabetes" course exactly four years ago in 2020. In my area it's called DICE - "Diabetes In Control Everyday". I was expecting the standard NHS Eatwell plate approach, and I was partly right. My wife expected me home after an hour, because she thought I'd be thrown out for arguing. The course was run by a diabetic nurse and a dietitian.

The nurse did the Eatwell plate stuff - lots of carbs, cut fat, red meat only every so often, all as expected. The dietitian (excellent stuff from him) however advised low-carb, dropping carbs (the shock in the room when he said carbs were completely unnecessary) meat and natural fats etc. So we had in front of us the new and failing NHS "eat lots of carb" advice and the traditional pre-1985 low carb/drop starches and sugars approach.

I have to say a lot of people on the course were very confused. The ones who weren't were already low-carbing before we started the course. You might be lucky, and get someone like the dietitian.
Good to hear that you had a dietician who was up to date - fairly rare. As for the nurse she had been brain-washed by the usual (wrong) NHS mantra which is appalling. My lovely DN, who has sadly now moved on, always said to keep the carbs down where possible.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have cut out most carbs and eat very small portions ,
however two of many queries , 1 , I don’t eat many veg ?
2, are frozen berries and Greek yogurt better thank fruit salad and yogurt .
Are you sure you are eating enough? The odd feelings you describe could be from under eating, or what is known as "keto flu", symptoms that can occur when first going low carb as the body adjusts.
You might also need to increase hydration and salt, especially if you used to eat processed foods which have salt in them. Your body may be missing out.

As to veg, eating green veg can help you feel much fuller and provides quite a lot of micronutrients, but they're not essential, just useful.
Have you increased protein and healthy fats to replace the carbs? There no need to be hungry while lowering bg and its associated weight loss

And yes a few berries, think just 6-8 with plain thick greek yoghurt will be better for your bg than mixed fruits in a salad that may contain extra sugars, and flavoured yoghurts . Even low fat yoghurts either have sugars or sweeteners and thickeners added. Plain greek yoghurt has nothing added. Always check the labels.
Diet Doctor has good lists of carbs in fruit and veg
Check out the values for banana and grapes for example

LadyJay

Hi LadyJay and welcome.

The nurse did the Eatwell plate stuff - lots of carbs, cut fat, red meat only every so often, all as expected. The dietitian (excellent stuff from him) however advised low-carb, dropping carbs (the shock in the room when he said carbs were completely unnecessary) instead eating meat and natural fats etc. So we had in front of us the new and failing NHS "eat lots of carb" advice and the traditional pre-1985 low carb/drop starches and sugars approach.

[edited for clarity]
Thanks for your reply.
I think I’ve seen something similar to your experience on here before. I will go with an open mind and will not argue if they come out with rubbish….just come back on to here to be educated!

LadyJay

Nursie can't be that bothered if you aren't getting another test for a year.

Do have a good read around here, and any time you'd like some friendly support, we are here for you. It won't take anything like a year - probably only a few weeks - for you to get hold of your blood glucose readings again by a few tweaks to your diet and lifestyle. Stress is one of the many factors that raises BG. And you have certainly been under a lot of stress. Can I assume you are testing your blood glucose readings?

I hope your husband makes a good recovery from his stroke. I did, so it is possible, but every case is different.
Thank you for your kind words, and yes, my husband is a lot better.
While all the stress was going on, I wasn’t testing much but have started doing so again.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm going through a lot at the moment, not only my wife's carer but I'm going through counselling.
Obviously, getting control of your BG levels is important but so is your mental health.
so having your BG levels a bit higher and with a modicum of low carb diet, do something about your anxiety!
talk to your GP, and maybe talk to someone you can trust about your worries.
Don't bottle it up. I know it's hard but you have made a good first step by going the GP., For your prediabetes. Why not the anxiety as well!

stay safe.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Thanks
I make @Lamont D right.

I had major accident 2 years back, had a bit of a pity party post on a regular thread i post to

@alf_Josiah, took time to post his thoughts, and was rather blunt, but omg he was so right.
I was just so blind to the fact it was just me, when both of us had suffered a nasty shock.

He pointed out, as I suspect your husband has, i had fantastic support from the NHS to friends & family.

He told me how great that was, and how lucky I was to get it.

Then asked me, guess who suffered almost as much, but everyone forgot about ?

....exactly ..D'oh.

Yep, those who love us & are there every step of the way as we try and recover.

But many can't talk to their partner because they fear (rightly or wrongly) impacting their mental health and/or recovery.

But those are the very people screaming out to be helped, by simply being able to unload somewhere, and voice their own concerns & worries.

In a relationship, we're a team, and each brings something to the table.
And when trouble hits ...BOTH need supporting.

And it's SO cost effective.

No one will give the 24/7 care & attention a loved one does.
And if they become incapable for whatever reason, that costs..a LOT £££££

So, as Lamont says, seek that ear to talk to, that 'someone' telling YOU, "its going to be ok" "you're doing great " or simply giving YOU some tools to help cope.

Best wishes you find the help YOU need & life gets easier for you both .

Last edited:

Thornliebank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you sure you are eating enough? The odd feelings you describe could be from under eating, or what is known as "keto flu", symptoms that can occur when first going low carb as the body adjusts.
You might also need to increase hydration and salt, especially if you used to eat processed foods which have salt in them. Your body may be missing out.

As to veg, eating green veg can help you feel much fuller and provides quite a lot of micronutrients, but they're not essential, just useful.
Have you increased protein and healthy fats to replace the carbs? There no need to be hungry while lowering bg and its associated weight loss

And yes a few berries, think just 6-8 with plain thick greek yoghurt will be better for your bg than mixed fruits in a salad that may contain extra sugars, and flavoured yoghurts . Even low fat yoghurts either have sugars or sweeteners and thickeners added. Plain greek yoghurt has nothing added. Always check the labels.
Diet Doctor has good lists of carbs in fruit and veg
Check out the values for banana and grapes for example
Thank you so much for that Mrs A2, you could very well be right , about not eating enough.
I do use the plain Greek yogurt, and don’t eat bananas or grapes, so will stick to the berries , but may be cut down on the amount .so will just see how this goes 7.7 on waking this am, breakfast two scrambled eggs and a Benco Vit drink.BG now 7 so not much change there.thanks for advise

• Winner
Reactions: jjraak

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Thank you so much for that Mrs A2, you could very well be right , about not eating enough.
I do use the plain Greek yogurt, and don’t eat bananas or grapes, so will stick to the berries , but may be cut down on the amount .so will just see how this goes 7.7 on waking this am, breakfast two scrambled eggs and a Benco Vit drink.BG now 7 so not much change there.thanks for advise
Benco Vit drink, have you checked the ingredients, it says sugar so that might be contributing ;)

• Useful
Reactions: jjraak