No Insulin for 2 weeks and blood sugar fine ?

vespa

Hi All wonder if anybody had a similar experience.

Bit of a background story.
I am 45 and was overweight at 105kg and is Diabetic for 7 months.

I was diagnosed on New Years Eve after being brought in with DKA and BG of 26 which happened after a bout of bad cough and cold which could be linked and a large intake of glucose drink, crushed fruits, honey and Lemsip, vitamin C tablets over a period of one week which also resulted in a rapid weight loss. I wonder if the excess intake may have overwhelmed my Pancreas causing it to work ineffectively or shut down. I was diagnosed Type 1

Since then I was on Novomix 30 18 units morning and 16 evening and Metformin 1000g 3 times a day, since then I have lost a lot of weight now 85.5kgs, exercised and changed my diet, I have gradually reduced my dose 2 units at a time as my BG dropped and eventually it started to dip[ low, meaning I had to reduce the dose, eventually just injecting in the morning for a few weeks, then two weeks ago I eventually was on nothing, providing some surprising BG readings, I am aware it could be honeymoon or I may well be type 2 and is misdiagnosed. I am going to ask my DSN for a C Peptide and GAD blood test to determine my type or maybe rolled back the Diabetes.

I am in no way complacent about my Diabetes I have closely monitored my BG and keeping a sharp eye on it, I certainly do not want to end up with complications, I am taking this very seriously.

Did anybody have a similar experience and what was the outcome ? I am very interested and hopefully learn more about it as my condition is quite new to me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So are all your bgs now ranging from 4-8?

Quite a few of posters here had denates with a gentleman from another country.. And lots of us advised hom to keep taking insulin.... However your scenario and bacground is totally different, but I must admit I have never heard of amybody being able to stop insulin injections totally after being classified as a type 1. I do so hope that the cold remedy influence and extra weight influence may have been cause for a misdiagnosis and that you could be a diet controlled type 2.

Hooefully, someone else may have some better knowledge or experience than me...

vespa

Yes it is ranging between 4 and 8 generally, even after a few beers on a meal. it occasionally spikes due to some sweet stuff such as once I had a shot of peach Snapps while in Ibiza which went to 10.1 however in an hour it went down to 6.8.

It does make me wonder, like you said maybe somebody with a similar experience or some knowledge may have some insight.

vespa

Blood sugar is still bouncing within range, had a beer with Thai meal, 2 hours later 6.4.
I will be seeing my diabetic nurse on Tuesday where I will put these facts to them and see what they say. I am going to ask for a set of blood tests to determine the state of my insulin production and GAD.

Will let you guys know if there is anything new, it may be relevant for others in similar circumstances.

equipoise

Hi Vespa. Sounds like you are right and the initial diagnosis of T1 was incorrect. If you are T2 or LADA then it's possible that going straight onto insulin gave your pancreas a rest and helped it to recover a little (though only if you stick to your diet and exercise regime). Good luck, and let us know what your test results are.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, agree that due to being overweight and the illness you could be a mis-diagnosed T2. As long as you measure your sugars whilst off the insulin then in many ways it doesn't matter but the GAD test might help

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If you have not yet had GAD or C-pep tests, how did they initially diagnose you as T1 ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
One thing though does point to a form of T1 and that being that the OP was admitted to hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis which is pretty rare in T2 although it CAN happen if their pancreases have pretty much packed up,I wonder if this is some sort of late onset honey moon period?

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most type 1s will have a hunnymoon period of time as your body still has some insulin which can be produced however over time it will stop completely its dangerous just to stop insulin you need to see your diabetic team and find out for sure what type you are.

vespa

I have monitored my blood sugar very closely, at least I am not complacent in that regard. the honeymoon is at the back of my mind always.

One of the problem of C peptide, GAD tests as far as I am aware is that you need to be free of any injected insulin for the result to be accurate, I will be seeing my nurse on Tuesday and put all these facts to her and request a blood test, by then any injected insulin would be out of my system.

The T1 was diagnosed in a 10 minute conversation with a visiting Doctor on his round of the ward, at 45 I think further investigation is warranted as its quite unusual for 40+ to be T1.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Unusual yes but certainly does happen. I think the GAD test doesn't matter if you've injected insulin. I can't see how any doc can make a diagnosis without blood tests.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed diabetic aged 46 and managed about 15 months as a 'type 2' before my levels went crazy and uncontrollable.
I was referred to a Consultant who immediately said I fitted all the criteria for a type 1 and agreed to do a GAD test to prove it. This came back very positive so am type 1.

In the first year as a 'type 2' I was able to manage with a couple of Metformin tablets a day and my levels were pretty good so you may be going through this phase now. You will soon know when the honeymoon is over as the morning levels start to creep up over the weeks and the post-meal spikes get higher and more reluctant to return to normal. I ended up with an HbA1c of 86 and rising by the week and keytones of 4+ by the time I saw the Consultant.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Angie

vespa

Thank for that info Angie, I hope to find out for sure what my type definitely is so I can deal with it accordingly.

I have accepted that I am diabetic one way or another, I would like to minimise the effect as much as I can by doing that I would need accurate information so I can tailor my diet, exercises,medication and blood checks accordingly, knowledge is very important with this, know your enemy, adapt, innovate and overcome.

vespa

Been to see my Nurse on Tuesday, told her everything she seem quite surprised and interested, she made note of a decent weight loss now I am 85.3 Kgs, good diet, good blood sugar range, when she mentioned it to my consultant, he wanted to see me, so I will be seeing my consultant in October to verify what type I am.

I would be very interested to see my C peptide and GAD test result.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My dad was diagnosed T1 after being hospitalised with DKA about 20 years ago

He took his insulin for about 2 years, and forgot 1 day, but his BG was ok. So he skipped insulin the following day and still ok, this went on for about 3 weeks at which point he stopped testing.. He was fine for about 9 months then bang back in hospital with DKA

Since then there has been times when he has been fine without insulin for a week or 2 at a time, but the rest of the time he has to take it or will be back in hospital quite quickly

vespa

I can see what you are saying mate, I have consistently tested without fail, Still taking my metformin to date no insulin it must have been nearly 5 weeks still throwing up some surprising reading a couple of occasions I have 4.4, 4.6 mostly 5s in morning and bouncing within range.

I am not complacent

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
vespa said:
I can see what you are saying mate, I have consistently tested without fail, Still taking my metformin to date no insulin it must have been nearly 5 weeks still throwing up some surprising reading a couple of occasions I have 4.4, 4.6 mostly 5s in morning and bouncing within range.

I am not complacent

I hope it lasts for you

I sometimes go a few days without, but soon have start again :(