1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Non-diabetic getting high blood sugar after eating pasta

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by laylakate98, Jun 17, 2017.

1. laylakate98

laylakate98 · Newbie

hi, I'm a thin and active 19 year old girl who hasn't been feeling great, so I've been testing my blood sugar as diabetes type 2 runs in my family. I've noticed that for up to an hour and a half of eating bread and pasta, my blood sugar is as high as 180. It's always below 140 after 2ish hours, sometimes even back down to 110. I haven't found other foods that cause this, just white carbs. Is this cause for concern? Thanks!

2. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

hi there @laylakate98
    I can understand your concern with Diabetes running in your family.

those numbers are not really an issue as long as your before meal is below 100 and 4 hours post meal is back around the 100 area.

best bet if you are really concerned is to get to your doctor and have a glucose tolerance test -- that should let you know for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What was you baseline?
    I think you are right to be worried. The sensible thing to do is to stop eating starchy and sugary things, and keeping a keen eye on how your blood sugar behaves. I come from a diabetic family too. I developed diabetes just before 50, before that I rarely had BG above 5.6. The good thing is that monitoring BG is so easy these days, which helps a lot.

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

You're obviously worried @laylakate98 as you've posted a similar thread about meal results.

The best thing to do is to see a doctor and get some proper tests.

5. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If eating bread and pasta is making you feel bad then avoid eating it. Some of your numbers seem to be OK, but you might find you are pre-diabetic if you have a HbA1C blood sugar test.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CherryAA

CherryAA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Many of us who are diabetic try to keep our blood sugars under 7.8 at all times because that seems ti be the level that damage begins . It would seem logical for everyone to heed those levels diabetic or not . So maybe cut back the white carbs

7. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well, stop eating that stuff!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

180 & 140 are far out of my range. I agree with @NoCrbs4Me. Stop eating it. We all need to stop eating some of our beloved foods if we want good numbers. There are other very tasty foods and alternatives that work Micah better.

Try lettuce wraps instead of bread and cauliflower rice instead of pasta. Or just eat the food minus bread and pasta.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook