Pancreas beta cells can be healed

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
apparently according to this video we likely have fatty pancreas and so intermittent fasting or very low carb diet will make your fat round the pancreas go away and your pancreas beta cells will start working properly again

this video is very informative

interestingly taking insulin is probably the worst thing you can do if you want to have a remission of your diabetes type 2

Reactions: DCB 2 and ziggy_w

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
apparently according to this video we likely have fatty pancreas and so intermittent fasting or very low carb diet will make your fat round the pancreas go away and your pancreas beta cells will start working properly again

this video is very informative

interestingly taking insulin is probably the worst thing you can do if you want to have a remission of your diabetes type 2

Yes, it's mainly due to putting patients on Insulin that Doctors believe that T2D is progressive and can't be put into remission/cured.

The Insulin (absent a Low Carb way of eating) practically guarantees weight and body fat increase because Insulin is the Fat storage hormone - which then makes the condition worse.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is right only if you are not producing a lot of insulin.
I think that there has never been anything wrong with my pancreas and the ease with which I put on weight is an indication of that.
When diagnosed I was almost spherical, with the dr and nurse both insisting I was doing the high carb diet wrong, or lying about what I ate, as I 'should not be putting on weight'. Yeah - right.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely agree with all the posters above, @miss miss, how much insulin we produce seems to be a central piece of information when deciding on the best treatment.

This is why I don't really understand why not all people newly diagnosed get a c-peptide test. Seems like trying to save money on the wrong end.

zuckerhonig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've read Dr Fung's books on obesity and diabetes - if you're serious about controlling your health, without recourse to expensive and potentially dangerous drugs - I would not hesitate in recommending them. Although, the books go into considerable detail, they are easy to read and full of excellent information. I would also recommend the excellent books by our very own Zoe Harcombe, particularly 'The Obesity Epidemic'. Okay, it is not specifically about diabetes, but does go to the route cause - insulin resistance - with an excellent chapter on exogenous causes of weight gain, a particular concern for diabetics, as it is all part of the 'progressive and incurable' paradigm. She cites a several studies of the obesogenic properties of many prescription drugs, including the birth pill and many drugs regularly prescribed to diabetics. The worst offender: insulin.

For decades, the 'medication' profession has been expounding this 'progressive and incurable' theory and even claiming that we are not really sure what causes diabetes. Really? Well, that would explain even recent health professional posts recommending the following 'healthy' breakfast for a type 2 diabetic:

-slice of wholemeal toast with marmalade
-bowl of cereal with skimmed milk
-glass of orange juice
-apple or banana

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd be stuck to the ceiling after that sugarfest! Of course, this is all based on the 'and then pump yourself full of exogenous insulin', which doesn't get a mention, but is just taken for granted, assuming the doctors are following (not so) NICE guidelines.

We are all bombarded with 'received facts' that only an idiot would refute because 'everybody knows that!' Again, very little research reveals that many of these, accepted as Gospel, facts are nothing more than clever advertising campaigns, sponsored by food companies. Repeat them often enough, and they become hard facts. The truth is that many are on the same scientific footing as recent recommendations to take bleach suppositories, drink Dettol or take anti-malaria drugs to ward off Covid 19.

Perhaps, as a diabetic, the worst offender has to be the 5 a day nonsense. According to Zoe Harcombe's research, this was cooked up by a group of executives from an American fruit and vegetable consortium in conjunction with the American Cancer Association. Apparently, the idea was to demonstrate that a higher consumption of fruit and vegetables would reduce the risk of cancers. This, incidentally, BEFORE any research was conducted. Just the brilliant idea of some advertising executives. When a study was conducted, it transpired that increased fruit and vegetable intake had no statistically significant impact on cancer either way.

With the fullness of time, it has come to be accepted as fact. And it does sound wonderfully simple. Eat 5 or more pieces of fruit or vegetables - eat the rainbow - and all will be well. Of course, eating fruit and vegetables - real food - has to be a better option than crisps and doughnuts. Alas, so many of us think that 5 bananas and a litre of orange juice will help us live forever. Clearly, even if you were not already diabetic and/or obese, that advice is not going to lead to a long and healthy life. Particularly, if, as many assume, this should be eaten as an extra to your dietary requirements, So, we are simply to wash down the crisps and doughnuts with the 'healthy' orange juice.

The answer to the beta cells of the pancreas being able to recover, has already been answered, again here in the UK by our very own Prof Taylor of Newcastle University. And, of course, by the many obese diabetics who have undergone bariatric surgery, discovering within weeks that their blood sugars return to normal - even before they lose any significant weight.

Of course, surgery or Prof Taylor's 800 calorie diet are not solutions to be undertaken lightly. There is, however, another way. If you have been doing your homework, you will often read N=1 referring to the anecdotal reports of diabetics living healthy, happy lives WITHOUT drugs. I am fortunate to be one of what has slowly become n=many.

I was lucky with my initial diabetic nurse. I was given a blood glucose monitor, advised to purchase some form of fitness monitor and given the option to try diet and lifestyle changes before hitting the hard stuff. That was in 2017. I'm still here, without medication of any sort.

Surely, there can be no doubt that diabetes - type 2 - is the result of an eating disorder or, if you prefer, intolerance specifically to sugar and starch. So, the prevailing advice to eat lots of 'complex' carbohydrates and moderate the consumption of treats, absolutely must be replaced with recommendations that have some scientific merit other than food frequency questionnaires along the lines of what you had for breakfast in 2004.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I've read Dr Fung's books on obesity and diabetes - if you're serious about controlling your health, without recourse to expensive and potentially dangerous drugs - I would not hesitate in recommending them. Although, the books go into considerable detail, they are easy to read and full of excellent information. I would also recommend the excellent books by our very own Zoe Harcombe, particularly 'The Obesity Epidemic'. Okay, it is not specifically about diabetes, but does go to the route cause - insulin resistance - with an excellent chapter on exogenous causes of weight gain, a particular concern for diabetics, as it is all part of the 'progressive and incurable' paradigm. She cites a several studies of the obesogenic properties of many prescription drugs, including the birth pill and many drugs regularly prescribed to diabetics. The worst offender: insulin.

For decades, the 'medication' profession has been expounding this 'progressive and incurable' theory and even claiming that we are not really sure what causes diabetes. Really? Well, that would explain even recent health professional posts recommending the following 'healthy' breakfast for a type 2 diabetic:

-slice of wholemeal toast with marmalade
-bowl of cereal with skimmed milk
-glass of orange juice
-apple or banana

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd be stuck to the ceiling after that sugarfest! Of course, this is all based on the 'and then pump yourself full of exogenous insulin', which doesn't get a mention, but is just taken for granted, assuming the doctors are following (not so) NICE guidelines.

We are all bombarded with 'received facts' that only an idiot would refute because 'everybody knows that!' Again, very little research reveals that many of these, accepted as Gospel, facts are nothing more than clever advertising campaigns, sponsored by food companies. Repeat them often enough, and they become hard facts. The truth is that many are on the same scientific footing as recent recommendations to take bleach suppositories, drink Dettol or take anti-malaria drugs to ward off Covid 19.

Perhaps, as a diabetic, the worst offender has to be the 5 a day nonsense. According to Zoe Harcombe's research, this was cooked up by a group of executives from an American fruit and vegetable consortium in conjunction with the American Cancer Association. Apparently, the idea was to demonstrate that a higher consumption of fruit and vegetables would reduce the risk of cancers. This, incidentally, BEFORE any research was conducted. Just the brilliant idea of some advertising executives. When a study was conducted, it transpired that increased fruit and vegetable intake had no statistically significant impact on cancer either way.

With the fullness of time, it has come to be accepted as fact. And it does sound wonderfully simple. Eat 5 or more pieces of fruit or vegetables - eat the rainbow - and all will be well. Of course, eating fruit and vegetables - real food - has to be a better option than crisps and doughnuts. Alas, so many of us think that 5 bananas and a litre of orange juice will help us live forever. Clearly, even if you were not already diabetic and/or obese, that advice is not going to lead to a long and healthy life. Particularly, if, as many assume, this should be eaten as an extra to your dietary requirements, So, we are simply to wash down the crisps and doughnuts with the 'healthy' orange juice.

The answer to the beta cells of the pancreas being able to recover, has already been answered, again here in the UK by our very own Prof Taylor of Newcastle University. And, of course, by the many obese diabetics who have undergone bariatric surgery, discovering within weeks that their blood sugars return to normal - even before they lose any significant weight.

Of course, surgery or Prof Taylor's 800 calorie diet are not solutions to be undertaken lightly. There is, however, another way. If you have been doing your homework, you will often read N=1 referring to the anecdotal reports of diabetics living healthy, happy lives WITHOUT drugs. I am fortunate to be one of what has slowly become n=many.

I was lucky with my initial diabetic nurse. I was given a blood glucose monitor, advised to purchase some form of fitness monitor and given the option to try diet and lifestyle changes before hitting the hard stuff. That was in 2017. I'm still here, without medication of any sort.

Surely, there can be no doubt that diabetes - type 2 - is the result of an eating disorder or, if you prefer, intolerance specifically to sugar and starch. So, the prevailing advice to eat lots of 'complex' carbohydrates and moderate the consumption of treats, absolutely must be replaced with recommendations that have some scientific merit other than food frequency questionnaires along the lines of what you had for breakfast in 2004.
Could I please ask who put forward the breakfast.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could I please ask who put forward the breakfast.

Partly our old friends at diabetes.org.uk

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/food-and-diabetes/i-have-type-2-diabetes
Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 17.15.57.png

They usually say skimmed milk.. must have missed it out this time!

M

Member496333

This is right only if you are not producing a lot of insulin.

But even if you’re now not but once were (T2) then you’ll still be resistant to anything you inject. It won’t fix the underlying problem of resistance. You’ll just be hyperinsulinemic with exogenous doses. The only chance of a solution is still to massively reduce the requirement for insulin via fasting and low carb. Only then will the pancreas ever have a hope of recovering.