Please help!! Waitrose refuse to stock 'LivLife Low Carb Bread'

A

AnnieC

E
I wouldn't worry Annie. There are plenty of people who seem to think they know what is best for everybody but in reality they only know what is best for themselves. There are a lot of food stuffs that are unnecessary but that does not stop people deciding that they like them.

This labelling of "bad" and "good" foods often ends up with people feeling guilty when they eat them and telling themselves off which is counter productive as it stresses them out which in turn can cause an upset digestive system and that makes them feel even worse. They are then mentally and physically upset. They end up sabotaging their new way of eating because they feel so worthless.

Exactly I do so agree with all you say and some people need to get off their high horse about diet and remember what they do is only best for them not for everyone else

A

Avocado Sevenfold

E

Exactly I do so agree with all you say and some people need to get off their high horse about diet and remember what they do is only best for them not for everyone else

So we are all in agreement then.

(((Group hug)))

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

I wonder
Thank you @catherinecherub , nice to see we are in agreement.

We all speak from personal experience, and that was what I was doing in my post above. Pity it was misinterpreted. But then that goes with the territory, on forums.
All I wondered was why you thought that people seem to think bread is necessary as I have never heard anyone say that about bread before

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry didn't mean to patronise. I'm use to a football sites full of kids.

We don't have a Waitrose that I visit but I can see why they might struggle to sell just one product. Perhaps the range idea might be better. If they can get a section of low carb stuff (like the glutton free section in my local Sainsbury's) then they could be on to something.

Even people with a gluten allergy are divided on whether the substitute food tastes nice or offers value for money.

A bigger range of low-carb foods may work but it would be a brave supermarket that took it on, as some low-carb diabetics don't want substitutes for normal foods such a bread, pasta, noodles & biscuits and prefer not to eat many processed foods, especially those containing wheat as in the Livlife bread (believing the diet guru's books on this subject).

Others on the other-hand who follow a low-carb diet still eat bread an other food stuffs but do so in moderation, using portion control and the 'eat to your meter' method to control their bg levels, so it's pretty difficult to gauge how successful a low-carb aisle would be, tbh I'd imagine any low-carber could go in any given supermarket and find a good selection of foods to eat.

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Sunny
How on earth do you manage? You must be terrified of going out in public. One whiff of a Snickers bar... I shudder to think!

Yes I am a bit of a recluse sadly!! Was I'll- health retired from my job as a midwife because I am the same with Latex. I had Anaphylaxis in my local Sainsbury's because they were having a Nectar points promotion & there were balloons!! Am also the same with apples pears & all other stoned tree fruit - don't have to eat them - only need to be in vicinity. Lots of other things too!!
I do get a bit frustrated because people just don't understand allergies & think an allergy means you don't like something or it gives you a rash?!! I have had people eating an apple for example refusing to move away from a shop doorway so that I could get out- resulted in me collapsing & emergency ambulance. Think she might be a bit more understanding after that- but it seriously adds to what is already a stressful life?!!

@StormyDog
I didn't feel patronised. I'd heard of loss leaders, but never had a proper explanation before. Thanks.

@Heathenlass
Had forgotten the whole 'staff of life' thing. It's embedded to Biblical levels, isn't it? I had forgotten that. :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have emailed hi-lo to ask if they have plans to supply Sainsburys in Scotland. Will let you all know if they reply.

I got emails from hi-lo today.

Hi-lo - "Thank you for your enquiry regarding the availability of Hi-Lo in Scotland. We are talking to Sainsbury's to see if they might extend the coverage area, can you tell me whereabouts in Scotland you live?"

Me - "I live in the west end of Glasgow. My nearest Sainsbury's store is Partick. I am an active member of the online diabetes community and would be happy to spread the word if this low carb bread becomes available in Scotland. As you may know, Waitrose has recently stopped stocking the low carb Livlife bread so there is definitely a gap in the market here."

Hi-lo - "Thank you. We will speak to Sainsbury's about this."

Better than a poke in the eye :blackeye:

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
This bread may be worth a try then....ASDA sourdough bread from their bakery....I've seen somewhere that sourdough bread doesn't spike blood sugar so much and they were selling some off today at a reduced price so I thought I'd try it.....I cut a slice, medium to thick [small loaf] plus part of the crust...after an hour my bs was only 0.6 higher than before I ate it, excellent!

I'm not sure why it didn't spike me, as I just googled the nutrition of sourdough bread in general and it said 56g carbs per 100g.....most bread really spikes me, am hoping it wasn't a one off...:confused: It tasted much more like normal bread than livlife or hi-lo...although I love seeds, there were just so many in those two..

LivLife

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All

Thank you very much for your support, we are very pleased to announce that we are back in Waitrose on Monday 20th October!
And for those of you who don't have a Waitrose near you we also have opened an online store: http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/#buy-online. We hope you'll enjoy your LivLife toasts and sandwiches.

LivLife team

Reactions: 8 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Many thanks Livlife, you have been sorely missed. Only 5days to go too. Wow !!!!

LivLife

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All, a bit of bad news I’m afraid. Due to a technical glitch there is a slight delay in getting our bread to the supermarket shelves - but have no fear it will be there as soon possible. In the mean time you can still buy it online http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/#buy-online. Will update you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience and support.

The LivLife team

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
And I bought a loaf in Waitrose here in Staines.this morning.

Reactions: 3 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I got some near norwich today!! Was a bit gutted when I got home and found it was actually 2 for £2 they didnt have a ticket on the shelf. I bought 3 loaves. :cool:

Reactions: 3 people

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
YAY!!! LivLife is back in Waitrose!!

Thanks to everyone here who contacted Waitrose to ask for it to be re-stocked :happy:

And thanks to LivLife, and Waitrose, for getting it back on the shelves!

I got 2 for £2.00 this morning, and also went and thanked the store Bakery section staff too (who are still completely clueless about LivLife and low-carb, but nonetheless....)

Happy days!

:happy:

p.s. might be a nice thing (if so inclined) to email the Waitrose man (the one we complained to) and thank him... he has listened!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Brilliant!!! Absolutely brilliant. Well done LivLife!!

Isn't it really good to know that there is one food supermarket that has shown that it listens to its customers?

No wonder Tesco is going down the pan!!

Fantastic....will also email waitrose!!

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
agreed Donnellysdogs :)

I also emailed James at Waitrose, and have had a few email conversations with him, and he has been realy helpful and positive about getting LivLife more widely available.

He told me LivLife Bread was meant to be completely "re-launched" and promoted in Waitrose when it came back in October, and should now be displayed in the "speciality breads" section; but (as I told him) in my local Waitrose, it is still on the very bottom shelf of the main ordinary sliced breads section, and on very far left spot, tucked away (almost completely out of sight) behind the end-of-aisle promotional stand! You would only know it was there if you already knew about LivLife Bread and were purposefully searching for it!

James has assured me he will let stores know they must put it in the "speciality" section, and let staff know it is a "re-launch"... which is good, otherwise it might all go 'back to square one' by Christmas and be off the shelves again because customers can't even see it, let alone buy it!

Thumbs up to James at Waitrose!

LivLife

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for your support! We have been working with Waitrose and yes, we should now be on the Speciality Section.

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your support! We have been working with Waitrose and yes, we should now be on the Speciality Section.

You're very welcome LIvLife people.... I have really missed having your bread recent months... I tried going back to Burgen, but it still sent my Blood Glucose redings too high, as did Sourdough. I also tried the Sainsbury's HiLo loaf, but personally didn't like it - though it had very small, over-thick slices; very moist texture (damp) and it didn't keep well either (went mouldy after 2 days) .

So I am VERY happy to see you back on the shelves at Waitrose. Just hope we get more low carb products to buy in future!

:)

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sorry to revive an old thread but I still find it very difficult to get the bread in Birmingham. Waitrose have it on their shelves once in a blue moon and even when I ask them to check to see if they have it in the back the answer is always in the negative. Maybe you can cut and paste this to Waitrose to let them know.

Also, any chance you can reduce the postage for online deliveries? £5.22 for 4 loafs of bread certainly dissuades me from buying it online directly from you.