1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Please help!! Waitrose refuse to stock 'LivLife Low Carb Bread'

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by World Hereafter, Jul 22, 2014.

1. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

E
    Exactly I do so agree with all you say and some people need to get off their high horse about diet and remember what they do is only best for them not for everyone else

2. So we are all in agreement then.

(((Group hug)))

• Like Like x 2
  3. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

I wonder
    All I wondered was why you thought that people seem to think bread is necessary as I have never heard anyone say that about bread before

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Even people with a gluten allergy are divided on whether the substitute food tastes nice or offers value for money.

A bigger range of low-carb foods may work but it would be a brave supermarket that took it on, as some low-carb diabetics don't want substitutes for normal foods such a bread, pasta, noodles & biscuits and prefer not to eat many processed foods, especially those containing wheat as in the Livlife bread (believing the diet guru's books on this subject).

Others on the other-hand who follow a low-carb diet still eat bread an other food stuffs but do so in moderation, using portion control and the 'eat to your meter' method to control their bg levels, so it's pretty difficult to gauge how successful a low-carb aisle would be, tbh I'd imagine any low-carber could go in any given supermarket and find a good selection of foods to eat.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sunny

Sunny Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6. I got emails from hi-lo today.

Hi-lo - "Thank you for your enquiry regarding the availability of Hi-Lo in Scotland. We are talking to Sainsbury's to see if they might extend the coverage area, can you tell me whereabouts in Scotland you live?"

Me - "I live in the west end of Glasgow. My nearest Sainsbury's store is Partick. I am an active member of the online diabetes community and would be happy to spread the word if this low carb bread becomes available in Scotland. As you may know, Waitrose has recently stopped stocking the low carb Livlife bread so there is definitely a gap in the market here."

Hi-lo - "Thank you. We will speak to Sainsbury's about this."

Better than a poke in the eye :blackeye:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pollylocks

Pollylocks Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This bread may be worth a try then....ASDA sourdough bread from their bakery....I've seen somewhere that sourdough bread doesn't spike blood sugar so much and they were selling some off today at a reduced price so I thought I'd try it.....I cut a slice, medium to thick [small loaf] plus part of the crust...after an hour my bs was only 0.6 higher than before I ate it, excellent!

I'm not sure why it didn't spike me, as I just googled the nutrition of sourdough bread in general and it said 56g carbs per 100g.....most bread really spikes me, am hoping it wasn't a one off...:confused: It tasted much more like normal bread than livlife or hi-lo...although I love seeds, there were just so many in those two..

• Like Like x 2
  8. LivLife

LivLife Other · Member

Hi All

Thank you very much for your support, we are very pleased to announce that we are back in Waitrose on Monday 20th October!
    And for those of you who don't have a Waitrose near you we also have opened an online store: http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/#buy-online. We hope you'll enjoy your LivLife toasts and sandwiches.

LivLife team

• Like Like x 8
  9. Alanp35

Alanp35 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Many thanks Livlife, you have been sorely missed. Only 5days to go too. Wow !!!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. LivLife

LivLife Other · Member

You're welcome! Happy to be back :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. LivLife

LivLife Other · Member

Hi All, a bit of bad news I’m afraid. Due to a technical glitch there is a slight delay in getting our bread to the supermarket shelves - but have no fear it will be there as soon possible. In the mean time you can still buy it online http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/#buy-online. Will update you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience and support.

The LivLife team

12. Madbazoo

Madbazoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It was back in stock at my local Waitrose yesterday

• Like Like x 2
  13. Alanp35

Alanp35 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

And I bought a loaf in Waitrose here in Staines.this morning.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lenny3

Lenny3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got some near norwich today!! Was a bit gutted when I got home and found it was actually 2 for £2 they didnt have a ticket on the shelf. I bought 3 loaves. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  15. World Hereafter

World Hereafter Type 2 · Well-Known Member

YAY!!! LivLife is back in Waitrose!!

Thanks to everyone here who contacted Waitrose to ask for it to be re-stocked :happy:

And thanks to LivLife, and Waitrose, for getting it back on the shelves!

I got 2 for £2.00 this morning, and also went and thanked the store Bakery section staff too (who are still completely clueless about LivLife and low-carb, but nonetheless....)

Happy days!

:happy:

p.s. might be a nice thing (if so inclined) to email the Waitrose man (the one we complained to) and thank him... he has listened!

• Like Like x 5
    #95 World Hereafter, Oct 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  16. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Brilliant!!! Absolutely brilliant. Well done LivLife!!

Isn't it really good to know that there is one food supermarket that has shown that it listens to its customers?

No wonder Tesco is going down the pan!!

Fantastic....will also email waitrose!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. World Hereafter

agreed Donnellysdogs :)

I also emailed James at Waitrose, and have had a few email conversations with him, and he has been realy helpful and positive about getting LivLife more widely available.

He told me LivLife Bread was meant to be completely "re-launched" and promoted in Waitrose when it came back in October, and should now be displayed in the "speciality breads" section; but (as I told him) in my local Waitrose, it is still on the very bottom shelf of the main ordinary sliced breads section, and on very far left spot, tucked away (almost completely out of sight) behind the end-of-aisle promotional stand! You would only know it was there if you already knew about LivLife Bread and were purposefully searching for it!

James has assured me he will let stores know they must put it in the "speciality" section, and let staff know it is a "re-launch"... which is good, otherwise it might all go 'back to square one' by Christmas and be off the shelves again because customers can't even see it, let alone buy it!

Thumbs up to James at Waitrose!

• Like Like x 2
  18. LivLife

LivLife Other · Member

Thanks for your support! We have been working with Waitrose and yes, we should now be on the Speciality Section.

19. World Hereafter

You're very welcome LIvLife people.... I have really missed having your bread recent months... I tried going back to Burgen, but it still sent my Blood Glucose redings too high, as did Sourdough. I also tried the Sainsbury's HiLo loaf, but personally didn't like it - though it had very small, over-thick slices; very moist texture (damp) and it didn't keep well either (went mouldy after 2 days) .

So I am VERY happy to see you back on the shelves at Waitrose. Just hope we get more low carb products to buy in future!

:)

• Like Like x 2
  20. s_k_s

s_k_s Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but I still find it very difficult to get the bread in Birmingham. Waitrose have it on their shelves once in a blue moon and even when I ask them to check to see if they have it in the back the answer is always in the negative. Maybe you can cut and paste this to Waitrose to let them know.

Also, any chance you can reduce the postage for online deliveries? £5.22 for 4 loafs of bread certainly dissuades me from buying it online directly from you.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook