Porridge and oat based breakfasts

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I understand that quite a lot of people say that porridge gives them spikes in BS levels so I wondered how the oat based type cereals ie Cheerios or Betavivo (I don't know of any others). The reason I'm after an oat based breakfast is for my cholesterol as I managed to get it down from what it was by (I think) eating porridge but of course it's not the best thing to have for BS levels.

Any ideas? thanks

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all different. I suggest testing your blood sugar level before trying a small amount, then testing again 2 hours later and see if there is a spike. Some people also test 3 hours later, in case the spike is later on. Record how much you tried, and the blood test results, then you can tweak the amount to find you own portion size.

If, after even a small amount, you spike, then it may be that your body cant tolerate that type of carb.

Personally, I cant tolerate even a tiny bit of oats, but can eat wholemeal bread. Testing is the key to find your personal thresholds.

All the best : )

Reactions: TIANDB and carina62

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that quite a lot of people say that porridge gives them spikes in BS levels so I wondered how the oat based type cereals ie Cheerios or Betavivo (I don't know of any others). The reason I'm after an oat based breakfast is for my cholesterol as I managed to get it down from what it was by (I think) eating porridge but of course it's not the best thing to have for BS levels.

Any ideas? thanks

Hi Carina
You seem to be very worried by your cholesterol levels would you be happy to share what they are?
Obviously you should try oats by eating and testing but it's fairly likely they will cause a spike so may be best avoided. Some doctors seem very unaware of cholesterol, its function in the body and what levels are "harmful", if indeed any are it might be one less thing to worry about if we could re-assure you re the statins.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
remember about 85% of your cholesterol is made in your body not from diet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was advised to eat oats as part of a cholesterol lowering diet - I put on tons of weight and was in danger of becoming spherical, and I was then diagnosed with diabetes. I got up to 264lb at the highest, but am down over 3 stones now, and still dropping.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would echo that finding out how YOUR body reacts to oats / oat based cerals ( which will usually have added sugar just to complicate matters) and / or oat bran is the logical first step. You will get that info by testing as Lucylockett61 has said.
Once you have that information the you will know what the risks assosciated with YOU eating oats are and can then weigh those against the risks / benefits assosciated with the cholesterol question

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I'm going to see my diabetic nurse next week so will get the numbers from her and post on here.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs are what raises cholesterol. As well as bg. So you won’t be fixing anything. Just making it all worse. Drop those carbs and then you can eat more fat. Some do better with Mediterranean fats over saturated fats.

I have done both. High animal fat, red meat, butter etc. And lower animal/ saturated fat. My total cholesterol was higher on the animal fats but so was my HDL and trigs lower. All RATIOS were ideal. On the more Mediterranean fats, my total was lower but again, ALL ratios ideal.
As long as your HDL I’d high and trigs low you’ll most likely have the light fluffy heart protective cholesterol rather than the small artery clogging ones that come from carbs.

Reactions: carina62

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol overall level is above 7 but the breakdown figures are good* so I'm more concerned with keeping my BS level as low as poss and steady. I used to have an incredibly complicated breakfast of whole oats (groats) soaked in a thermos of hot water overnight and mixed with other stuff which my meter said was ok. But it was a lot of faff and I don't feel quite so self-important now. I hope.
*LDL is also high but I'm pinning my hopes on the fluffy sort. Nice word that.

Reactions: lindijanice

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find this illuminating..

His accent is a bit strong but the message is clear.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I experimented with quackery plain porridge pots, just add water.
I was quite surprised that 2 hours later, my bs levels were, t spiked as much as expected. Usually after 2 hours, it went up by 3. I know ideally should not be more then 2, but now it's colder, the porridge fills me up until lunch time. Whereas without porridge I would be so hungry that I would eat more mid morning

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well if you are going to eat it then avoid the packet stuff its full of hidden carbs. standard home made stuff is 11 Quakers instant 67 per 100

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
When I was on oats, I used the traditional type (not the quick versions), and I went from milk to water with 30 grams of Oats. I then stopped oats in favour of nuts, seeds, yogurt and berries.

Walking can help your trig number and oily fish your HDL. For concerns about strokes and heart attacks there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that the diet–heart hypothesis was scientifically flawed. This maybe worth a look:

As well as this (now requires login):
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32095-0/fulltext

ZappBrannigan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Any ideas? thanks
Hello, on another UK based diabetes forum porridge is viewed as a no-no, but as I'm pre-diabetic with slightly raised cholesterol, I make my basic no-frills porridge with water, add a little semi skimmed milk and sweeten it with Stevia, sometimes adding a few sultanas. The Stevia is an acquired taste to some but I have learnt to love it. We also use oats to make apple crumbles and biscuits.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I am slightly different to you as I am type but I find that 45g Quaker jumbo oats made with unsweetened almond milk and 60g raspberries treats me very well. I also used to eat Dorset Cereals honey granola with greek yoghurt and that also treated me well xx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, in general oats are best kept down to a small quantity as they are a carb and will probably increase your blood sugar and weight. If your cholesterol remains high (not the total but the lipids ratios) then it needs to be tackled in other ways.