PR SUCCESSES - GETTING THE WORD OUT THAT LCHF IS THE BEST DIET TO HELP TREAT TYPE 2 DIABETES

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw my DN in the chemist this morning. She told me that the paperwork I gave her was behind reception and

------ wait for it ---------------

she is now directing people to this site. I gave her a hug and thanked her.

That's absolutely fantastic!!!! I'm filling up I'm so happy. What a great result. Well done Carol!!!! I've asked for an update from dcuk pr team just today on where we are up to with the inspirational stories booklet and redesigning. Once it's been updated and added to social media sites every forum member can if they like print off and take to their gp surgery etc. Happy days. Also sent relevant stuff to the magazine editor. She asked for it so let's see where that goes. Thanks for the update Carol. I'm thrilled.

Reactions: Speedbird

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my 5 mins of fame is moving forward.
I’m due to appear in Decembers edition of the Healthy Food Guide magazine.
Journalist sent draft over yesterday evening and I’ve had opportunity to edit it today so did this this morning.
When we did the telephone interview three weeks ago she mentioned that , like me, her mum had type 2 diabetes and had developed complications and she was worried about her own health. Good news is that she clearly was persuaded by my story as today she informed me she’d lost 10poundsin the last three weeks following LCHF felt good to have had an impact and hoping magazine article will influence even more people!
All good..........

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my 5 mins of fame is moving forward.
I’m due to appear in Decembers edition of the Healthy Food Guide magazine.
Journalist sent draft over yesterday evening and I’ve had opportunity to edit it today so did this this morning.
When we did the telephone interview three weeks ago she mentioned that , like me, her mum had type 2 diabetes and had developed complications and she was worried about her own health. Good news is that she clearly was persuaded by my story as today she informed me she’d lost 10poundsin the last three weeks following LCHF felt good to have had an impact and hoping magazine article will influence even more people!
All good..........

This is just brilliant @shelley262 I can't wait to get my copy. And the journalist really has listened. And taken it on board. 10lb loss herself!

The PR team behind us are doing a great job too.

Reactions: Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday i attended my first diabetics meeting at the local Tesco superstore (free room for community meetings). These are held on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. My DN told me about them when I asked how I could share my knowledge gained since diagnosis and maybe/hopefully help others. I went in armed with my inspirational stories booklet, low carb what to eat booklet, blood glucose testing, 1936 diabetic LCHF advice and 100 stone lost sheet amongst various other bits and bats. Including me there were 12 people attending. Doreen the chair welcomed me.

On the table there were 4 plates of biscuits, rich tea and chocolate digestives. Most I could see were happily tucking in without a care in the world. I wasn't surprised and took it in my stride. Coffee or tea was offered but I declined. Declined the biccies too!

Doreen asked everyone to introduce themselves. First names only given. No further info at this point. She spoke firstly about smoke alarms and getting them checked, informed us about the fire station open day 25th Oct. Then invited John up who did a short talk about the CAB (now known just as CA), he was a volunteer and he spoke about the services provided, how they are funded, hours open etc. He is non diabetic but comes with his wife Rita to support her.

Then Doreen asked the 2 newbies to tell us their stories. I summed my journey up in less than 5 minutes. It got a very positive response. Everyone began discussing their meds - all present were t2d, BS testing (or not as the case was for most!) And their woe (Not low carb as all seemed to be following GP advice ie eat everything, cut down on sugar, low fat, low cal). I heard how many of their HbA1c levels were going up not down. They were trying different insulins to try and gain control. Many were t2d on insulin. Many had other complications. Lots discussed their neuropathy that was causing them a great deal of pain in their fingers and toes and for one lady 'all body'. Eyesight issues, heart problems. Also how little help or support they got from their hcp's.

The other newbie also had a story to tell. She was months going to her gp surgery seeing various Drs about tiredness, pins and needles, excessive urination, thirst. Nobody had mentioned to her she was diabetic. She had her last gp appointment and the gp said ' well you aren't controlling your diabetes very well'. I haven't even been told I have diabetes was her reply! She was shocked and mad. She immediately went on a plant based diet. Her HbA1c has gone from 87 to 43 within 3 months. She still has terrible pins and needles. She realises now she has had diabetes for years. The symptoms have been present for years.

These 12 people are from surgeries across Blackpool and Fylde Coast. Just 12 diabetics attending from so many surgeries. (Sigh). All, apart from one slim lady, I noticed were incredibly overweight.

It seems that diabetes.org.uk are behind these meetings. Doreen does a monthly raffle. Proceeds go to diabetes.org.uk but the diabetics get a say on where the money is spent (usually research) about £2k a year raised.

I explained the difference between dcuk and .org (without offending).

Everyone said they had found my intro very interesting. So I offered to do a talk as John had done earlier. Doreen was delighted and said November but as its my wedding anniversary on 21st and I wasn't sure if I would be around I said how about December but that will be a Christmas meal out for everyone. So we agreed on 3rd Wednesday in January. This gives me plenty of time to plan, prepare and spread the word locally. Hoping to get more than 12 there.

Doreen would like more members. So would I! I'm thinking of a plan.

Here's my plan so far from tonight's lack of sleep!

Contact my DNs to see where they are up to re passing all the info I dropped off around all the hcp's at the 2 surgeries. They did invite me to a clinical meeting to discuss the info so I'm going to try and pin them down to a date.

I'm going to write a 1 page advert for the talk I'm going to do 3rd week in January. (@xfieldok I would love your help and support if you are free as you are quite local and it would be good to catch up again, we could do a team presentation).

This 1 page advert I'm going to get into as many local surgeries as possible (starting with mine) to let them know 1) there is a monthly diabetics meeting and the details and 2) brief details about my talk mentioning how I've not only lost a lot of weight but also put my diabetes into remission/reversed/ controlled. I will probably run with 'reversed' as it will capture their attention and I may get more attending (I know I know)! It's all about helping others find a way that might work better for them. A healthier way to live. Giving them an alternative to the advice given that ensures the disease is progressive. It doesn't have to be. That said I'm not going to come over as a Dr I'm just going to tell about my journey and emphasise that the LCHF woe isn't for everyone especially if other health issues present.

I'm going to give out lots of info. And of course direct them to DCUK for further info.

I'm also going to ask DCUK where they are up to with linking our Birmingham docs/videos etc to the site and on their social media sites. And whether they have managed to get us a slot with Holly and Phil on that breakfast sofa yet!!! I live in hope.

And now I'm going to try and get some sleep. Night or morning folks as the case may be.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday i attended my first diabetics meeting at the local Tesco superstore (free room for community meetings). These are held on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. My DN told me about them when I asked how I could share my knowledge gained since diagnosis and maybe/hopefully help others. I went in armed with my inspirational stories booklet, low carb what to eat booklet, blood glucose testing, 1936 diabetic LCHF advice and 100 stone lost sheet amongst various other bits and bats. Including me there were 12 people attending. Doreen the chair welcomed me.

On the table there were 4 plates of biscuits, rich tea and chocolate digestives. Most I could see were happily tucking in without a care in the world. I wasn't surprised and took it in my stride. Coffee or tea was offered but I declined. Declined the biccies too!

Doreen asked everyone to introduce themselves. First names only given. No further info at this point. She spoke firstly about smoke alarms and getting them checked, informed us about the fire station open day 25th Oct. Then invited John up who did a short talk about the CAB (now known just as CA), he was a volunteer and he spoke about the services provided, how they are funded, hours open etc. He is non diabetic but comes with his wife Rita to support her.

Then Doreen asked the 2 newbies to tell us their stories. I summed my journey up in less than 5 minutes. It got a very positive response. Everyone began discussing their meds - all present were t2d, BS testing (or not as the case was for most!) And their woe (Not low carb as all seemed to be following GP advice ie eat everything, cut down on sugar, low fat, low cal). I heard how many of their HbA1c levels were going up not down. They were trying different insulins to try and gain control. Many were t2d on insulin. Many had other complications. Lots discussed their neuropathy that was causing them a great deal of pain in their fingers and toes and for one lady 'all body'. Eyesight issues, heart problems. Also how little help or support they got from their hcp's.

The other newbie also had a story to tell. She was months going to her gp surgery seeing various Drs about tiredness, pins and needles, excessive urination, thirst. Nobody had mentioned to her she was diabetic. She had her last gp appointment and the gp said ' well you aren't controlling your diabetes very well'. I haven't even been told I have diabetes was her reply! She was shocked and mad. She immediately went on a plant based diet. Her HbA1c has gone from 87 to 43 within 3 months. She still has terrible pins and needles. She realises now she has had diabetes for years. The symptoms have been present for years.

These 12 people are from surgeries across Blackpool and Fylde Coast. Just 12 diabetics attending from so many surgeries. (Sigh). All, apart from one slim lady, I noticed were incredibly overweight.

It seems that diabetes.org.uk are behind these meetings. Doreen does a monthly raffle. Proceeds go to diabetes.org.uk but the diabetics get a say on where the money is spent (usually research) about £2k a year raised.

I explained the difference between dcuk and .org (without offending).

Everyone said they had found my intro very interesting. So I offered to do a talk as John had done earlier. Doreen was delighted and said November but as its my wedding anniversary on 21st and I wasn't sure if I would be around I said how about December but that will be a Christmas meal out for everyone. So we agreed on 3rd Wednesday in January. This gives me plenty of time to plan, prepare and spread the word locally. Hoping to get more than 12 there.

Doreen would like more members. So would I! I'm thinking of a plan.

Here's my plan so far from tonight's lack of sleep!

Contact my DNs to see where they are up to re passing all the info I dropped off around all the hcp's at the 2 surgeries. They did invite me to a clinical meeting to discuss the info so I'm going to try and pin them down to a date.

I'm going to write a 1 page advert for the talk I'm going to do 3rd week in January. (@xfieldok I would love your help and support if you are free as you are quite local and it would be good to catch up again, we could do a team presentation).

This 1 page advert I'm going to get into as many local surgeries as possible (starting with mine) to let them know 1) there is a monthly diabetics meeting and the details and 2) brief details about my talk mentioning how I've not only lost a lot of weight but also put my diabetes into remission/reversed/ controlled. I will probably run with 'reversed' as it will capture their attention and I may get more attending (I know I know)! It's all about helping others find a way that might work better for them. A healthier way to live. Giving them an alternative to the advice given that ensures the disease is progressive. It doesn't have to be. That said I'm not going to come over as a Dr I'm just going to tell about my journey and emphasise that the LCHF woe isn't for everyone especially if other health issues present.

I'm going to give out lots of info. And of course direct them to DCUK for further info.

I'm also going to ask DCUK where they are up to with linking our Birmingham docs/videos etc to the site and on their social media sites. And whether they have managed to get us a slot with Holly and Phil on that breakfast sofa yet!!! I live in hope.

And now I'm going to try and get some sleep. Night or morning folks as the case may be.

You’re doing a great job @Debandez keep us updated.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re doing a great job @Debandez keep us updated.
Agree 100%.

Have to say, outside our little island of hope in the LCHF world, the whole situation seems terribly depressing. That poor woman not even being informed she had Type 2. The level of incompetence, if not downright indifference, on the part of HCPs is damned disheartening :(

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I sent this email to my DN just asking for an update. @Pipp I will be contacting CCGs shortly :)

Ps I will also be chasing up the progress made from our brilliant Birmingham event with the PR team and DCUK.

Hi Xxxx

Just wondering if you have a date for me to join a clinical meeting? I know everyone is so busy but I am very keen to discuss. I'm not sure if every one has had a chance to read all the literature I dropped off yet. There was so much and so many to read it.

I have been to my first diabetics meeting at Tescos and it was very positive. Xxxxxx has invited me to do a talk. I couldn't commit to 21st November as it is too close for me to get everything prepared. December will be the Xmas meal so that's out. I will be doing my talk the 3rd Wednesday of January. This gives me enough time to spread the word about the meeting. I would like to let as many local surgeries read our booklets/info/stories as possible in the meantime in the hope I can maybe get more diabetics attending. I dont want to have to print everything off as there is so much and that would prove costly but maybe you could help with regard to supplying relevant email addresses for the various surgeries. I'm thinking you will have a list.

There were only 12 diabetics at the monthly meeting. I thought they were all from our surgery but that wasn't the case, they were from Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre. This is such a shame as I personally found the meeting very beneficial. I'm not sure it's advertised enough. A leaflet at reception might be a good idea and perhaps one could be given to every new diabetic. On a slightly different note, I know the surgery is wanting more patients to join the PPG. Maybe the leaflet could mention this too. Perhaps it could go in the monthly newsletter (apologies if it already has).

November my story will be published again, this time in a national magazine. There are many of us ready and very willing to share our journeys in the hope of helping others. Many forum members are sharing their stories in the media. Its a joint effort. In fact the PR team from DCUK as a next step are approaching This Morning to see if a group of forum members can join them on the sofa. A small number of those from the forum who have put their type 2 diabetes into remission. Cant fit too many on that small sofa hence numbers will be restricted!

Many are contacting their GP surgeries for stats to find out how many type 2 diabetics have 'reversed ' their diabetes. The feedback isn't good so far. It seems the current guidelines need updating.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many are contacting their GP surgeries for stats to find out how many type 2 diabetics have 'reversed ' their diabetes. The feedback isn't good so far. It seems the current guidelines need updating.

For anything to be approved or updated by medical science they have to do trials probably world wide with groups of people as obviously they would want to find out what the long term effects of LCHF has not just on the diabetes but on the body in general and even we can't know that as it has not been done long enough yet. It would be hard for them to take notice of a small percentage of unqualified people who are doing LCHF...which we are .. telling them we know better about treating diabetes than they do.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For anything to be approved or updated by medical science they have to do trials probably world wide with groups of people as obviously they would want to find out what the long term effects of LCHF has not just on the diabetes but on the body in general and even we can't know that as it has not been done long enough yet. It would be hard for them to take notice of a small percentage of unqualified people who are doing LCHF...which we are .. telling them we know better about treating diabetes than they do.
The 1936 guidelines were LCHF. Then about 20 years ago (or more) the 'fat is the devil's work' advice came out as far as I can see. Resulting in an epidemic of obesity and progressive diabetes. The effects of the current guidelines should be enough for them to at least have a rethink. Fingers crossed things will change for the better sooner rather than later.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Didn't seem to worry them too much when the low fat guidelines were introduced.. more importantly now that the study that particular stupidity was based on has been overturned surely it becomes time to at least admit that the "science" behind it was flawed? Haven't seen too many come out with that yet.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't seem to worry them too much when the low fat guidelines were introduced.. more importantly now that the study that particular stupidity was based on has been overturned surely it becomes time to at least admit that the "science" behind it was flawed? Haven't seen too many come out with that yet.
Low fat has not yet been dismissed as the healthy way to eat it is still very much around and what dieticians and the medical profession still recommend. I have not seen a TV food programme or any diet advice except on this group that says saturated fat is good for us we are still encouraged to have low fat

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Low fat has not yet been dismissed as the healthy way to eat it is still very much around and what dieticians and the medical profession still recommend. I have not seen a TV food programme or any diet advice except on this group that says saturated fat is good for us we are still encouraged to have low fat

Where are the long term studies that prove that a diet low in sat fat is efficacious? Where has the low fat dietary advice got us? Forty years of increasing obesity and Type 2 Diabetes is where we are at today due to dodgy, ego driven nonsense and I might add that it suits Big Food right down to the ground (no pun intended) to promote cheap, nutrient poor, foodstuffs that have a very long shelf life and big profits.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

There is lots of info out there, just a few links for info. Its hard to get your head around I agree, we have been brain washed. I don't think of my diet as high fat, just a healthy amount of fat.

Because we have been encouraged to eat low fat, any more than this is thought of as high when actually it's just an average amount.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fat-your-friend
https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/15/1111
https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-and-lungs/saturated-fats-and-heart-disease-link-unproven/
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/5-studies-on-saturated-fat
https://www.dairynutrition.ca/scien...t-increase-the-risk-of-cardiovascular-disease

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think things are beginning to change. Having seen my results and engaged in conversation with me, my surgery have begun to divulge skepticism about the eatwell plate and have at least one Jason Fung devotee on the staff. It has taken a few brave pioneers to openly question the standard dietary advice, but it seems that there is a growing body of more enlightened healthcare practitioners willing to look at the evidence of patients bucking the trend when it comes to the "progression" of diabetes. Working with them to support others seems very worthwhile to me.

And for what it's worth I definitely describe my diet as high fat - at least 75% of calories from fat. And I am slimmer than I have ever been, with better health markers all around.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think things are beginning to change. Having seen my results and engaged in conversation with me, my surgery have begun to divulge skepticism about the eatwell plate and have at least one Jason Fung devotee on the staff. It has taken a few brave pioneers to openly question the standard dietary advice, but it seems that there is a growing body of more enlightened healthcare practitioners willing to look at the evidence of patients bucking the trend when it comes to the "progression" of diabetes. Working with them to support others seems very worthwhile to me.

And for what it's worth I definitely describe my diet as high fat - at least 75% of calories from fat. And I am slimmer than I have ever been, with better health markers all around.
That is so apparent from the feedback on this site (And others too). The tide is turning.

The proof is in the pudding! The 75% fat pudding :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal